UK - Coventry residents pelted as apples fall from sky

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
The most recent of the many historical reports of anomalous falls from the skies:

Core blimey - it's raining APPLES! Drivers stunned by mysterious downpour of fruit (Daily Mail)
The inclement conditions at this time of year normally cause a variety of traffic and logistical problems as motorists battle their way through wind, rain and snow.

But one freak of nature drivers do not normally have to contend with is flying fruit, as mystified residents did in Coventry on Monday night.

Bemused motorists were forced to take evasive action when an avalanche of apples descended from the sky just after the rush-hour.
---
so....from where might these apples have come??
One theory is that freak weather conditions may have caused a vortex of water pressure, which is when wind and rain form a powerful vacuum that can lift items and dump them up to 100 miles away.

The current of air could have lifted the fallen fruit from a garden or orchard and released it over the Coundon area of Coventry.
---
historical reports, you say? so there are others?
On October 5, 1967, thousands of maggots fell like rain over Acapulco, Mexico, after a heavy storm.

In 1996 dozens of frogs were reported to be falling from the sky in Llanddewi, Wales and again in Croydon, London in 1998.

More recently, on August 18, 2004, fish fell from the sky on to the village of Knighton, Powys.

In August 2007 fish also rained down in the streets of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk after a mini-tornado at sea.
---
more, with pictures, at DM link above
thanks to badhorsie for the head's up on the story

:waitasec: Apple trees are harvested and dormant by now-- I think they came from a barge or train car, or open style semi trailer? How bizarre, can you imagine? :thud:

Bizarre indeed, but actually a not-completely-uncommon Fortean occurrence. Reports stretch back over the centuries. I don't think I've ever read of one fully explained, i.e., "Yes, I had those same green apples in an open bin outside my barn and they disappeared that night with the rain and winds," though.

All I can add is that I think it's a bad sign that I don't live too far from Coventry and it took Websleuths to enlighten me. ;)

Ach, who needs Auntie Beeb when we've got Woofie? :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redeworker
Back