Robert King Scott

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scott_robert.html

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
● Missing Since: 1997 from Brownsville, Texas
● Classification: Endangered Missing
● Age: 36 years old
● Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American male. Black hair, brown
eyes.
● Medical Conditions: Scott has a history of drug and alcohol abuse.

Details of Disappearance:

Scott moved from his home in Fontana, California to Brownsville, Texas in 1996. His family found the relocation odd; he had never lived anywhere outside of California before, except when he was in the military. He told his mother he thought the warm, sunny climate of southern Texas would be good for him. He found a job in the shrimping industry in Brownsville and resided
in the 50 block of east St. Francis Street. Scott told his mother he would visit her after Christmas in 1997, but he never arrived. After months without word from her son, she reported him missing in July 1998. He has never been heard from again.
Scott enlisted in the Marines at age eighteen, but he didn't adjust well to military life and was discharged for drug use two years later. His mother stated he was troubled after his discharge, abused substances and could not keep a job. His case remains unsolved.

This was posted on April, 2004

http://old.brownsvilleherald.com/ts_comments.php?id=58917_0_10_0_C

Marines remain missing after years-long searches

By DAVID ROBLEDO
The Brownsville Herald

BROWNSVILLE, April 21, 2004 — Two Marines with connections to Brownsville have been missing for years, and their loved ones are continuing emotionally draining searches that have yielded insubstantial leads.

Former Marine Robert King Scott, 36, disappeared nearly seven years ago after moving from California to Brownsville, where he came to “heal his inner wounds,” his mother said.

Marc William Oestrike, 21, has been missing two years, and was headed to Brownsville soon after being suspected of stealing $17,000 from his parents’ safe in Fort Myers, Fla., in July 2002.

Family members said both Marines used illegal drugs, and both had difficulties adjusting to civilian life.

But that doesn’t matter to Barbara Scott, who simply wants to know her son is alive and safe.

“This is what the agony and the grief is all about,” she said. “I have no idea where he might be.”

Robert King Scott
It was a strange decision for Robert King Scott to move to Brownsville from Fontana, Calif., six and a half years ago, said Barbara Scott in a phone interview. Robert Scott — one of five siblings — had never lived outside California, except during the two years he spent in the U.S. Marine Corps.

He did not adjust well to the military and was discharged for drug use 16 years ago, his mother said. The Herald could not confirm the discharge.

“He was never able to keep a job after he was discharged from the Marines,” she said of her son, who enlisted when he was 18.

“He didn’t have a job when he moved to Brownsville, and I thought it was odd that he would choose to go there, of all places he could have gone.”

Robert Scott moved to Brownsville from Fontana, Calif. in 1996.

After ending his service with the Marines, Robert Scott was troubled, and he turned to alcohol and illegal drugs, his mother said.

He couldn’t fit in Fontana and straighten out his life, so he decided to move to Brownsville — a place where he told his mother his frame of mind would improve because of the year-round sunshine.

He seemed to be right — at first. Robert Scott found a job in the shrimping industry soon after arriving in Brownsville, but disappeared less than a year later. He had promised to visit his mother in California after Christmas 1997 but never showed up, Barbara Scot said.

After months of no word, she called the Brownsville Police Department in July 1998, prompting officers to visit Robert Scott’s residence at 54 E. Saint Francis St., said Sgt. Robert Hines.

Robert Scott was not present.

Almost seven years after Scott’s disappearance, the Brownsville police have no leads his whereabouts.

Anyone with information on Robert Scott’s whereabouts is asked to call the Brownsville Police Department’s missing persons division at 548-7060.

Marc William Oestrike
Oestrike’s parents last saw him on July 4, 2002, soon after he was suspected of taking $17,000 from their house safe.

The parents were planning on using the money to buy land for Oestrike and his brother as Christmas gifts, his mother Sandy Oestrike said.

“I haven’t worked since Marc has been missing. I’m staying home every day, hoping he’ll show up here, in case he does come,” the mother said in a phone interview from Fort Myers.

Soon after the money turned up missing, Marc Oestrike left his hometown of Fort Myers and headed to Brownsville, where he was last seen at the A.K.’s Sports Bar and Grill on Expressway 77/83, according to a private investigator the Oestrikes hired to look for their son.
Marc Oestrike is a former Marine; he joined the service at age 18 and abandoned his four-year enlistment requirement two years later, his mother said. Authorities later apprehended him in Fort Myers and placed him in jail for his absence without leave.

He left town sometime after he was discharged.

Like the other missing Marine, Marc Oestrike had less than desirable habits, his mother said — including using illegal drugs.

Before he left Fort Myers, Marc Oestrike had been in a serious car accident on Memorial Day 2002. He spent three days in a hospital after cutting his face in several places and breaking several vertebrae. He was put in a back brace and a sling, but discarded them before he was healed, Sandy Oestrike said.

The gash on his eyebrow — about the size of a baseball — is an identifying mark that Sandy Oestrike hopes will help identify her son.

“He is our joy, our laughter, our love,” she said. “We hope and pray for his safety and for him to come back.”

About two months after the accident, Marc Oestrike disappeared, packing his things from his Fort Myers apartment and heading to Brownsville, the Oestrikes’ private investigator found.

The Lee County Sheriff’s Department has an active search open for him, and some leads have recently surfaced, sheriff’s Corp. Carol Billingham said.

There is no active search for Marc Oestrike in Brownsville or Cameron County, officials said, because of little evidence linking him to this area.

Anyone with information on Marc Oestrike’s whereabouts is asked to call private investigator Thomas Lauth toll-free at 1-800-889-FIND

I sent an email to Brownsville, PD requesting info on Robert.

I asked about:
*DNA
*Other photos
*Tattoos or other identifiers

I received a reply today stating that Det. Martinez will look into this and get back to me as soon as he has an answer.

Bumping - He still doesn't seem to be in Namus.

Going to email Michael Nance to see what's going on with his NamUs entry. According to the WS member that entered his he is NamUs MP #19248

Going to email Michael Nance to see what's going on with his NamUs entry. According to the WS member that entered his he is NamUs MP #19248

Roselvr, Michael did email me several days ago and I sent him the same emails that I forwarded you. I have not heard back from him.

I was the person who entered Robert's NamUs profile and I talked to Michael Nance and the detective when I set it up. The detective gave me Robert's mothers contact info but Michael Nance said I should leave contacting her up to LE. (I really don't think LE planned to make the call)

I think it's reasonable enough to compare the two. Has anyone heard back?

Scottrobert.jpg

I was the person who entered Robert's NamUs profile and I talked to Michael Nance and the detective when I set it up. The detective gave me Robert's mothers contact info but Michael Nance said I should leave contacting her up to LE. (I really don't think LE planned to make the call)

Can't recall if I emailed Michael or not off the top of my head. I remember reading what you gave me & I'd contact him but not sure if it was about him or not. No clue what's up with Michael Nance lately cause he went from very nice to not answering any emails on another case.

Robert was 30 years of age in 1997 not 36. He is or would be 48 years old to date. The MP# provided in this thread is in no way valid. I spent all night til the AM searching all of Namus and he does not exist in the system under any of the classifications. He was reported missing from Brownsville, TX in 2001 when the last conversation he had with his Mother was that he was coming home for Christmas and was never heard from again. As to why false and misleading information has been given and provided and attempts to place him in NaMus years ago has been undone and ignored is bewildering to his family and they feel that his disappearance is a cover up or a conspiracy. His Mother has spent $1,000's of dollars hiring private investigators, traveling to TX and has been grieving since his disappearance. If your efforts or concerns are genuine, on behalf of his family we greatly appreciate your efforts and concerns in getting answers. If not, please find another hobby because he has loved ones who have been searching for him and desperately looking for answers if he is no longer living. I have the accurate facts but I am skeptic about posting them to this thread due to the validity of "wanting to help" is questionable.

Robert was 30 years of age in 1997 not 36. He is or would be 48 years old to date. The MP# provided in this thread is in no way valid. I spent all night til the AM searching all of Namus and he does not exist in the system under any of the classifications. He was reported missing from Brownsville, TX in 2001 when the last conversation he had with his Mother was that he was coming home for Christmas and was never heard from again. As to why false and misleading information has been given and provided and attempts to place him in NaMus years ago has been undone and ignored is bewildering to his family and they feel that his disappearance is a cover up or a conspiracy. His Mother has spent $1,000's of dollars hiring private investigators, traveling to TX and has been grieving since his disappearance. If your efforts or concerns are genuine, on behalf of his family we greatly appreciate your efforts and concerns in getting answers. If not, please find another hobby because he has loved ones who have been searching for him and desperately looking for answers if he is no longer living. I have the accurate facts but I am skeptic about posting them to this thread due to the validity of "wanting to help" is questionable.

Robert was in fact entered into NamUs; by WS member Wanting2Help; but for some reason the profile does not have enough info to go online but it is there. Please have his family contact Michael Nance to see what is holding it up. He is pretty easy to reach via email. title it Family member of NamUs MP # 19248 Robert King Scott.

NamUs MP # 19248 Robert King Scott -
Regional Administrator
First Name Michael
Last Name Nance
Email Michael.Nance@unthsc.edu
Phone 918-527-0080

So sorry you are offended. I'm not sure if there was a photo of Robert when I mentioned comparing him or not. I can clearly see that he is not the NY marine. Asking for a comparison is good as it helps get him entered into NamUs with them trying to find family for a DNA sample.

OK Here is a screen shot of the profile, just to prove that it is really there. I gave all of the info that I had to Michael Nance.

If you have nothing better to do than to make yourself feel of importance for the sake of the internet, please stop.
I can assure you Looking4Loved1 that we are only here trying to help.

Pic.jpg

OK Here is a screen shot of the profile, just to prove that it is really there. I gave all of the info that I had to Michael Nance.

I can assure you Looking4Loved1 that we are only here trying to help.

View attachment 74119

Thank you for posting a screen shot. I love that he was entered on Valentine's day! <3
I suggested they enter Robert themselves because maybe they'll get farther then you did. Thank you so much for all you've done to help get him in NamUs.

I sent an e-mail regarding Robert King Scott to Brownsville PD, Little Rock PD, and the folks at NamUs. I thought that he bore a resemblance to a John Doe discovered in Little Rock in September of 1997: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5998

I thought that since Robert King Scott lacked DNA on file - as did the John Doe from Arkansas - that there might be a possibility that the two were were the same person.

I was given a brief reply from the NamUs folks that Robert King Scott "had been identified" and that he wasn't the Arkansas John Doe. I then noticed that Robert King Scott's NamUs profile had been removed. Not sure what happened.

There was a body found in a barrel in Louisiana last year...I wonder if that could have been Robert. Either way, I'm glad he was found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back