GUILTY IA - Mallory Hakes for child abuse, Mason City, 2012

And to think of the lengths I go to to keep my kids out of the dryer...

4ef06276be49a.preview-300.jpg

Mallory Ann Hakes

I try to keep my cat out of there, too! I check BEFORE I turn it on (duh) :thud:

This is why some people shouldn't be allowed to have kids.

She should definitely lose parental rights. What could she be thinking.

When I was a very young child, a playmate of mine died. He had been playing hide and seek with his sister and he hid in the dryer and died before his mom found him. :-( The sister was in the washer and survived. And it wasn't even on - I can't imagine the dryer being on....Horrendous.

And this woman (will not call her a mother) puts a young child in the dryer and turns it on to teach him a lesson. What lesson would that be? That this is a very cruel world and some kids are unfortunately born to monsters?

I think it is the same woman... after doing a little bit more checking...

That is a bit ironic that Colby died at 23 months and this child is 22 months old.

So she caught the child hiding in the dryer... and THAT is the reason she turned it on for a few seconds... and the child wasn't injured.

So this wasn't like he got into something, or bit her and she chose the dryer as a random punishment...
It was a "natural consequence" of "if you climb in the dryer this is what can happen."

I think she was trying to get across that it was dangerous and he should stay out of it... does that make sense?

It makes me wonder how the first one died, (if it is in fact her child too.) If maybe it was a household accident?
Which might explain her over reacting when this one climbed in the dryer. Not that it'd be acceptable... but a bit more understandable.

It'll be interesting to see as more information comes out on this one... I think there might be a bit more to it.

I think it is the same woman... after doing a little bit more checking...

That is a bit ironic that Colby died at 23 months and this child is 22 months old.

So she caught the child hiding in the dryer... and THAT is the reason she turned it on for a few seconds... and the child wasn't injured.

So this wasn't like he got into something, or bit her and she chose the dryer as a random punishment...
It was a "natural consequence" of "if you climb in the dryer this is what can happen."

I think she was trying to get across that it was dangerous and he should stay out of it... does that make sense?

It makes me wonder how the first one died, (if it is in fact her child too.) If maybe it was a household accident?
Which might explain her over reacting when this one climbed in the dryer. Not that it'd be acceptable... but a bit more understandable.

It'll be interesting to see as more information comes out on this one... I think there might be a bit more to it.

I think you're right. I need to have a little more compassion when I read these things. Reading about the other little boy and his adventurous spirit and how he liked to discover things, leads me to think he may have died as the result of an accident at home. Since this child is now the age of his brother who died, and appears to have an adventurous spirit as well, his mother is probably very concerned and still has a lot of grief over the death of her other son. Looking at all the pictures, she does appear to be a loving mother. She just made a very stupid mistake that could have resulted in serious injury or death. Hopefully she will receive counseling.

I think you're right. I need to have a little more compassion when I read these things. Reading about the other little boy and his adventurous spirit and how he liked to discover things, leads me to think he may have died as the result of an accident at home. Since this child is now the age of his brother who died, and appears to have an adventurous spirit as well, his mother is probably very concerned and still has a lot of grief over the death of her other son. Looking at all the pictures, she does appear to be a loving mother. She just made a very stupid mistake that could have resulted in serious injury or death. Hopefully she will receive counseling.

I do know Mom's who have lost their kids around this age to their "adventurous spirit." So it occurred to me...
I try and have "natural consequences" whenever possible... which is why that immediately occurred to me.
Of course, I would never do this... but thankfully the only kid who ever climbs into appliances is the cat.

I can also see why you would immediately freak out about this case though. Knowing someone who died that way.
It's all about what we have seen and done ourselves... it shapes our reactions to these cases. :seeya:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ma...cle_051b7212-7797-11e1-8b4a-0019bb2963f4.html

Mallory Ann Hakes, 26, was sentenced by Judge Gregg Rosenbladt to one year in jail which was suspended and one year of probation after pleading guilty to a charge of child endangerment, an aggravated misdemeanor.

Hakes cried as she asked the court not to sentence her to jail.

I could be wrong, but I get her story of trying to teach her son what could happen if you crawl in the dryer. I think she made a choice I wouldn't necessarily make, but I don't think it was done out of meaness.

I'm glad she is receiving parenting classes and I pray she and her son have great life.

I just get the creepy willies about this happening to a son who is the same age as another who died in her care. Seems as though the judge has a bit more information than we do-- a year in jail is quite a cooling off period.

I want to know who called the authorities on her regarding the dryer incident, her husband? In laws? Her own parent? I think there's a lot more to this story. moo

If I'm reading correctly her year in jail was suspended, so she isn't actually doing jail time... correct?
If so... I can agree with that. I hope that they have some therapy for her and keep an eye on the family but I don't think she needs jail.

I really think she panicked and didn't think about what she was doing before she did it.
She likely felt that she had to come up with something right THAT second which would scare the child into not doing that again.
If you put the child BACK in the dryer later to teach them a lesson, then the lesson is kind of lost at that point...

I don't know....thank goodness I'm only guessing, but I think if I had a child die at home I sure as heck wouldn't do anything that could possibly harm my remaining child. Like tumble him in the dryer. I think I would be hypervigilent about keeping my remaining child safe. I understand where you guys are coming from, but it doesn't ring quite true for me.

I think her thought was probably about what would happen if someone didn't realize he was in the dryer and turned it on.
I think she simply was making a point to him, as a "natural consequence" and just didn't think it through.

At that age... I'm not really sure how you would teach that lesson and get the point across. But I think that is why she panicked.
She probably wasn't concerned about him getting hurt with her right there.
She was concerned about it getting turned on when it wasn't known that he was in there if he did it again.

But I don't know... like I said, hopefully she is getting some therapy and parenting help.

If I'm reading correctly her year in jail was suspended, so she isn't actually doing jail time... correct?
If so... I can agree with that. I hope that they have some therapy for her and keep an eye on the family but I don't think she needs jail.

I really think she panicked and didn't think about what she was doing before she did it.
She likely felt that she had to come up with something right THAT second which would scare the child into not doing that again.
If you put the child BACK in the dryer later to teach them a lesson, then the lesson is kind of lost at that point...

Yes a suspended jail sentence means she is simply on probation, but if she violates probation, she will go to jail for that year.

January 2013:

Woman who used clothes dryer to punish child may get probation revoked after second violent crime...

Mallory Ann Hakes, 27, turned herself in to the Cerro Gordo County Jail last Saturday, January 19th on an arrest warrant after she had been charged by Mason City police in December with assault causing bodily injury, a serious misdemeanor...

The latest assault charge filed by Mason City police against Hakes was filed on December 17th after an incident the previous evening which took place at Tailgaters Bar. Hakes is accused of assaulting a 32 year-old Mason City woman there

http://northiowatoday.com/2013/01/2...probation-revoked-after-second-violent-crime/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeachyTee
Back