Scrapbook tells how Rudolph went down in history

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.centurylink.net/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9RQ71980@news.ap.org>&ps=1011&page=1

HANOVER, N.H. (AP) — You know Dasher and Dancer and the rest of the gang. But do you recall, the most "Perfect Christmas Crowd-Bringer" of all?

That's how executives at Montgomery Ward originally described Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, who first appeared in a 1939 book written by one of the company's advertising copywriters and given free to children as a way to drive traffic to the stores.

Curious to know more about how Rudolph really went down in history? It's all in the pages of a long-overlooked scrapbook compiled by the story's author, Robert L. May, and housed at his alma mater, Dartmouth College.

Story at link....

Somebody ought to republish the original story just for nostalgia/historical reasons. I didn't know that Rudolph began his life as part of an advertising campaign. I thought it was from a movie.

Agree, it's a shame it can only be seen in a museum now. I wonder how many of those 1939 books are still floating around?

I don't know but I wish I could get my hands on one. Those things must be worth a fortune!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back