IL - Newborn dies in dumpster, mother is 13 years old, 1 Jan 2012

13-years-old! Good heavens. Surely, once the baby came out, she knew what it was. That blows the 'I didn't know I was pregnant' defense out of the water.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=8487728

The autopsy was inconclusive, and they aren't sure whether she miscarried or whether the baby was intentionally killed. That means that they can't prove the baby took a breath. They are also investigating allegations of abuse against the thirteen year old mother. I would hope so.

When he was found, the baby was full term and only 4 pounds and 2 ounces.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...trash-wrapped-bloody-jeans.html#ixzz1iPaRrCrM

Full term is not a miscarriage, it is a stillbirth. Referring to the first linked article that said it could have been a "miscarriage" or foul play.

I agree Belinda, even if you didn't know you were pregnant, even at thirteen, once the baby comes out, you realize what has been going on with your body for the last few months. And while I cannot expect a thirteen year old to understand safe haven laws, I'm pretty sure that she could figure out that leaving a baby in a trash bin, in the snow, in twenty degree weather was not the appropriate way to handle this.

I wonder how they found her, and if she had any help with the disposal. Just who was the man that impregnated a thirteen year old?

I heard this sad story on the news yesterday.

They can't tell if a baby has drawn breath or not? I wonder if maybe they don't want to know so they aren't presented with the dilemma regarding charging a 13-year-old girl with murder.

If a man impregnated her then of course he should be prosecuted but it's most likely that the father was a minor as well.

I heard this sad story on the news yesterday.

They can't tell if a baby has drawn breath or not? I wonder if maybe they don't want to know so they aren't presented with the dilemma regarding charging a 13-year-old girl with murder.

If a man impregnated her then of course he should be prosecuted but it's most likely that the father was a minor as well.

I'm pretty sure they checked for proof of oxygen infusion to the lungs whether they wanted to know or not. I find it hard to believe that LE and the ME would not want to know if they were dealing with a homicide or abuse of a corpse. Not to mention, the ME doesn't get to decide they don't want to know, if their job is to determine cause and manner of death.

I don't believe it was most likely that an underage boy impregnated her. They are looking into an abuse case, which means that there is likely proof that she was abused, not having consensual sex with someone in her age group. Not that her consent really would have mattered as she was too young to legally give it, but if the father of the baby was too young as well, then it would likely be that no charges were pressed for sexual assault. I've been reading here too long, and seen too much in life to believe that it most likely someone under 18.

They teach kids about HIV/AIDS, STD's, Pregnancy, etc... they need to dedicate one of those days to teaching these children about Safe Haven Laws.

http://southtownstar.suntimes.com/n...or-girl-13-who-left-her-baby-in-dumpster.html

Charges possible for girl, 13, who left her baby in Dumpster

snipped

“What hit my guys is our (police) department is two minutes from where she delivered the baby,” said Brown, noting that under the state’s Safe Haven Law, the baby could have been dropped off there, no questions asked. “You just drive up to the corner, make a right turn, and there we are.

Her mother came home and found her standing in a pool of blood in the bathroom and contacted the maternal grandmother to come take the girl to the hospital. The girl had earlier wrapped the baby in clothing and placed him on the dumpster; she said the baby never moved or cried. The 13-year-old had not told anyone about her pregnancy because she did not want her mother to find out that she had sex with a 15-year-old boy. The girl was charged with misdemeanor counts of obstruction of justice and disorderly conduct. She was indicated for death by neglect. Her mother sought counseling for her.

“Prior history: In September 2011 the Department investigated and unfounded a report of inadequate supervision against the grandmother. A neighbor called the hotline to report that the children, ages 4, 8, and 13, were left unsupervised while their maternal grandmother worked nights. The maternal grandmother, mother and children denied that the children were left unsupervised....

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/...-years-abuse-neglect-child-deaths-in-illinois

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back