Cross-dressing banjo players brawl on Mummer's Night in Philly

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Classic Deadspin account, with link to Philadelphia Inquirer story plus YouTube brawl video:

Some Cross-Dressing Banjo Players Got Into A Brawl In Philadelphia On Sunday
from the Inquirer:
A few mummers dressed in pink as wenches enter the fray and people start shoving each other. One of the wenches makes his way to confront a paradegoer in the crowd gathered on the sidewalk. The paradegoer then jumps the barricade, which comes crashing down and the crowd spills into the street.

A few mummers dressed in pink as wenches. Yes. That's what you read. And that's also what you'll see in that video — taken by a Two Street Narc who doesn't know how to hold the phone to properly capture video. You'll also see grown men sporting varsity jackets representing their respective prancing clubs.
more at link above

.....and JerzBarbie has now been entered into the witness protection program.

Ahhhh the power of YouTube. This happens every year to some degree. Them wenches have been drinking for at least 16 hours by the time they are back on 2 Street. Anyone who goes there should expect death by wench. Otherwise they should go view the parade from Broad street.

There's a lovely aspect to the parade when the winners are announced. They are serenaded by the losers.

Y'all wish you lived here. Wenches are the best.:seeya:

An illustrated guide to everything you need to be a wench.

http://phillymummers.com/whatisawench.jpg

For the record a wench does not play the banjo. Perhaps they know how, but they can't when they march because they carry a parasol. String Bands play the banjos and other instruments and they drill.

Jameson anyone?

We need a smilie for this, 'cause I sure couldn't find a 'brawling, cross dressin', banjo playin'
mummer. Anyone else???

this one barely scratches the surface:

:slapfight:

LMAO :D

(I had to go look up mummer, not that I want to tell what I thought it was, and er, I will stop talking now, er uh um)

Mummers parade was cancelled so it turned into a protest.

Seems fair.

Yep, wenches protest.

Happy New Year All!

An illustrated guide to everything you need to be a wench.

http://phillymummers.com/whatisawench.jpg

For the record a wench does not play the banjo. Perhaps they know how, but they can't when they march because they carry a parasol. String Bands play the banjos and other instruments and they drill.

Jameson anyone?
A parasol in one hand and a bottle in the other

For some reason I can hear "Dueling Banjos" while I'm reading this thread.
Hahaha noooo nothing like that!

Cracking up albeit feeling dissed.

Just kidding. String Bands are the #$@#!

It's a cornicoppia of sights, sounds, visuals, and all things debuchery. Wellll, until ya get to the "Fancies" which has been indoors now for years. Cha ching!

The comics start at daylight, but have been up all night. Some brash themes and great fun when they enmasse bum rush the camera guy and all mouths are mimicking "Hi, Ma".

Mummers. Professionals. Great music and themes mostly. The best part? When the Captain descends like a rooster strutting for the hens. The costumes are phenomenal. They practice for this all year!

The Fancies is like a Broadway show. However, they used to march.

Best part of the parade is families coming back to South Philly. Bridesburg Setting up ladders for the kids to see. Going into neighbors houses for pork sandwiches.

Big second is wenches in their golden boots stillllllll since daybreak drinking saying some of the funniest, most rediculous things I've ever heard.

Thanks you for the video. We're a classy bunch ain't we in Philly?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back