Brownsville, Tx: Police kill armed teenage student at Texas school.

momtective

Lifetime WS Non-Mod
Reaction score
Police kill armed teenage student at Texas school.

Brownsville police detective J.J. Trevino says police received a call around 8 a.m. Wednesday that there was an individual with a weapon at Cummings Middle School. Police found the student in a hallway and shot him.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/04/4162045/police-kill-armed-teenage-student.html#storylink=cpy

He was only in the 8th grade...so very, very sad. I just can't imagine what he was thinking taking a gun to school....I'm sure it wasn't "I'm going to die today."

In my heart of hearts I'm hoping it was a water gun or something like that, but it really isn't going to make a bit of difference...a gun is a gun especially at school.

Brownsville ISD Statement:
A male 8th grade Cummings Middle School student brandished a weapon today at approximately 8 AM in the school’s main hallway. School administrators immediately contacted the Brownsville Police Department and BISD Police and Security Services. The school initiated standard lock down procedures. Law Enforcement Officers responded to the scene immediately. The student engaged the officers and was shot. He was transported to a local hospital by ambulance. No other students or employees were injured. After the shooting, law enforcement officers searched the entire school room by room. A staging area for Cummings Middle School parents was created at the nearby Ringgold Civic Pavilion located in Dean Porter Park where they received more information from school administrators. All Cummings students and employees are being relocated by school buses to the Porter High School gymnasium while officers investigate at the school. The relocation should be complete by 10:30 AM. The lockdown was lifted at 9:50 AM. Both the Brownsville Police Department and BISD Police and Security Services will be investigating this incident. Cummings has a student enrollment of approximately 750.

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=703623#.TwSBVVZkidk

15-year-old eighth grade student . . . transported to Valley Baptist Medical Center where the Associated Press is reporting that the student died.

from above

Shame that LE had to "shoot to kill". But why bring a gun to school?

When the investigation confirms that the student did indeed have a real gun and that lives were at stake, I will know the shooting was justified. What keeps hanging in my mind is "what if." What if there wasn't a gun, what if it was something else and the cops just thought it was a gun. Either way I will still be saddened because a young man lost his life today and his parents lost their child.

When the investigation confirms that the student did indeed have a real gun and that lives were at stake, I will know the shooting was justified. What keeps hanging in my mind is "what if." What if there wasn't a gun, what if it was something else and the cops just thought it was a gun. Either way I will still be saddened because a young man lost his life today and his parents lost their child.

I share your sadness, momtective, and wonder if this boy might have been the victim of bullying...15 is rather old for an 8th grader.

Police kill armed teenage student at Texas school.

Brownsville police detective J.J. Trevino says police received a call around 8 a.m. Wednesday that there was an individual with a weapon at Cummings Middle School. Police found the student in a hallway and shot him.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/01/04/4162045/police-kill-armed-teenage-student.html#storylink=cpy

He was only in the 8th grade...so very, very sad. I just can't imagine what he was thinking taking a gun to school....I'm sure it wasn't "I'm going to die today."

In my heart of hearts I'm hoping it was a water gun or something like that, but it really isn't going to make a bit of difference...a gun is a gun especially at school.

BBM

If they confirm that it was a gun, then that is exactly what he probably thought when he was headed for school this am. Except he probably thought he would take more out with him.

Most kids are smart enough to know by now that if caught with a gun on school property they are in major trouble. And so they don't take gun to school and 'brandish' it unless they have a purpose for having it there.

I share your sadness, momtective, and wonder if this boy might have been the victim of bullying...15 is rather old for an 8th grader.

I wish they would have used a stun gun. He was shot 3 times in the chest, maybe I'm wrong but that seems a little drastic to me. I'm sure there just had to be a better way to disarm this kid without killing him. I'm also very saddened for the police officer that shot him, what a daunting task to have to kill a kid...life changing I'm sure.

I wish they would have used a stun gun. He was shot 3 times in the chest, maybe I'm wrong but that seems a little drastic to me. I'm sure there just had to be a better way to disarm this kid without killing him. I'm also very saddened for the police officer that shot him, what a daunting task to have to kill a kid...life changing I'm sure.

my bolding

I agree, what a tragedy. It's so senseless, so many thoughts run through your mind, what was the boy thinking, what drove him to this, did the officers have any other choice, emotional toll on the parents, on the other students, heartbreaking.

My first thought too was why not shoot him to disarm him but not kill him. Hopefully we will hear more details. It does sound drastic. If he pulled a gun on the officers ready to shoot they may not have had a choice.

Thank God no other students or faculty were hurt or killed.

THis student was 15 yrs old. I don't think he was bullied, imo, he was probably a bully himself. He was 2 years behind so he was likely truant a lot and probably a big troublemaker. That's just my gut feeling. I think LE did what they had to do. There was no reason for that teenager to have a gun at school other than to do harm to others. imoo

ETA: I worked in a public middle school for a decade. Believe me,the 15 yr old 8th graders were not typically the victims of bullies. It was usually the other way around.

If they find that this gun was brought from home, the kid's parents need to be prosecuted.

It is sad regardless, but even if it wasn't real that doesn't necessarily mean the cops did anything wrong. Have you seen those AirSoft guns? They look so real they have fooled LE before. And a 15yo knows what will happen if they even bring a toy gun to school. Tragically, I think this may end up being suicide by cop. I feel terrible for his family and friends who are left to wonder why, and I'm so thankful that no one else was shot. One funeral is already too many.

I doubt it seems drastic to the families of the police officers, the teachers, or the other students. It would be incredibly risky to try to use a stun gun on someone with his finger on the trigger.

As much as we don't want to believe that a 15yo would do this, I don't think it would have gotten to the point of the school calling LE and LE then engaging with him if it were a prank or a toy gun. Someone who was joking would have put the gun down and his hands up long before it got to this point.

THis student was 15 yrs old. I don't think he was bullied, imo, he was probably a bully himself. He was 2 years behind so he was likely truant a lot and probably a big troublemaker. That's just my gut feeling. I think LE did what they had to do. There was no reason for that teenager to have a gun at school other than to do harm to others. imoo

ETA: I worked in a public middle school for a decade. Believe me,the 15 yr old 8th graders were not typically the victims of bullies. It was usually the other way around.

Those are some pretty big assumptions to make, regardless of where you have or have not worked.

Don't police in Texas have tasers? Shooting a 15 year old child 3 times in the chest is excessive. My opinion.

It is sad regardless, but even if it wasn't real that doesn't necessarily mean the cops did anything wrong. Have you seen those AirSoft guns? They look so real they have fooled LE before. And a 15yo knows what will happen if they even bring a toy gun to school. Tragically, I think this may end up being suicide by cop. I feel terrible for his family and friends who are left to wonder why, and I'm so thankful that no one else was shot. One funeral is already too many.

I doubt it seems drastic to the families of the police officers, the teachers, or the other students. It would be incredibly risky to try to use a stun gun on someone with his finger on the trigger.

As much as we don't want to believe that a 15yo would do this, I don't think it would have gotten to the point of the school calling LE and LE then engaging with him if it were a prank or a toy gun. Someone who was joking would have put the gun down and his hands up long before it got to this point.

ITA with this entire post.

Those are some pretty big assumptions to make, regardless of where you have or have not worked.

Don't police in Texas have tasers? Shooting a 15 year old child 3 times in the chest is excessive. My opinion.

He had a gun.
Everyone around him was at risk.

IMO it was not excessive. It was needed.

JMO

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/04/us/texas-shooting/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- A 15-year-old student was shot and killed by police after he brandished a weapon in the hallways of a south Texas middle school, officials said Wednesday.

"The student engaged the officers and was shot," the Brownsville Police Department said in a statement....

BBM

I'm assuming that "engaged the officers" means he shot at them. So I'm pretty sure he was shooting real bullets at them. I wonder if this was suicide by cop?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back