Teen mom shoots intruder dead 1 week after husband dies of cancer

Velouria

Reaction score
'There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child': Teen mom shoots dead intruder a week after baby's father died of cancer

• Sarah McKinley, 18, lost husband to lung cancer on Christmas Day
  • Shot dead intruder on New Year's Eve who broke in carrying 12-inch hunting knife
By Beth Stebner

Last updated at 5:13 PM on 4th January 2012

On Christmas Day, 18-year-old Sarah McKinley lost her husband to lung cancer, leaving her the sole caregiver to their three-month-old son.
On New Year’s Eve, the Oklahoma mother proved she was anything but defenceless after she shot and killed an intruder breaking into her home.
Two men tried breaking into Ms McKinley’s house, one armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. While on the phone with 911, the young mother shot and killed one of the intruders after he broke in.

Good for her!
I can't imagine going through what she has at 18.

She had every right to protect herself and her baby.

One less criminal IMO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/04/mom-kills-intruder_n_1183336.html

"I've got two guns in my hand -- Is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" McKinley asked the 911 operator.

"I can't tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told McKinley when she asked a second time. The call went on for 21 minutes as the men powered their way into McKinley's house.

article-2082210-0F5631FD00000578-25_634x372.jpg

I just saw this on the news and am just bawling for this girl. Just lost her husband t cancer, on Christmas no less. 18 yrs old. 3 month old baby. Alone on New Years eve and has the where withall to calmly talk to 911 and be prepared and then finally act when intruded upon !Oh how I wish i could scoop her and her baby up and tuck them in safely in my home.
Good Job Girl!!

and they are making a big deal (comments on news sites) because here is this 18 year old young woman who lost her husband to cancer on Christmas day..... Her late husband is in his 50's (i think).

So glad she had the fortitude to take this out. I wish she'd gotten the other one too. Sorry if that's wrong, but that's how I feel.

I read about this on CNN. It did not include half the info. What a very scary situation. She had been stalked by this creep, her dogs killed and he had bothered her late at night after she was newly widowed.

Can you imagine sitting there, young and alone with a tiny baby and two creeps are pounding on both doors? What were they doing there? Why did the one have a knife? Why did he brazenly kick open the door? If she hadn't shot the one, can you imagine what would have happened to her and the baby? Clearly, they were not there to rob her. They were there for much, much worse. I want to know what that other monster has to say about why they were there. Again, I wish she'd been able to get them both.

In my mind, every state should interpret the law to be that if someone breaks into your house and you are there, you can kill them. Goodness knows what they will do once they have you alone. Don't want to get killed? Don't break into someone's house.

So glad she had the fortitude to take this out. I wish she'd gotten the other one too. Sorry if that's wrong, but that's how I feel.

I read about this on CNN. It did not include half the info. What a very scary situation. She had been stalked by this creep, her dogs killed and he had bothered her late at night after she was newly widowed.

Can you imagine sitting there, young and alone with a tiny baby and two creeps are pounding on both doors? What were they doing there? Why did the one have a knife? Why did he brazenly kick open the door? If she hadn't shot the one, can you imagine what would have happened to her and the baby? Clearly, they were not there to rob her. They were there for much, much worse. I want to know what that other monster has to say about why they were there. Again, I wish she'd been able to get them both.

In my mind, every state should interpret the law to be that if someone breaks into your house and you are there, you can kill them. Goodness knows what they will do once they have you alone. Don't want to get killed? Don't break into someone's house.

and his friends are saying what a great guy he was...... I'm glad she took him out. no telling what he would have done to her and her baby.

a person carrying a hunting knife is not there for a tea party.

and his friends are saying what a great guy he was...... I'm glad she took him out. no telling what he would have done to her and her baby.

a person carrying a hunting knife is not there for a tea party.

Exactly. These guys had no fear. Didn't they assume she would call the police? Yet, they didn't care. Very scary individuals. Where are you seeing what his friends have to say about him? And how can they say anything positive after what he's done?

Ick, just looking at the one who got away, creepy, creepy. Hopefully he will be in prison for life.

Exactly. These guys had no fear. Didn't they assume she would call the police? Yet, they didn't care. Very scary individuals. Where are you seeing what his friends have to say about him? And how can they say anything positive after what he's done?

Ick, just looking at the one who got away, creepy, creepy. Hopefully he will be in prison for life.

on The Dremon Demon. but the comments of the people defending him were taken off.

Thank you Jesus that we still have the right to bear arms because this the perfect example of how guns save lives!! Lives of the innocent!! And from a similar experience it's the exact reason that my family INSIDE MY VERY OWN HOME are protected in this exact same way.. Thank God due to our alarm system sounding as the intruder broke in was seemingly enough to send him running but had he not I was up and ready, gathered my son(who was 5 at the time) hid him and entered the front of the house fully armed and wouldn't have hesitated to shoot on sight of the intruder.. Thankfully he'd run soon thereafter he'd gotten the side door of my home open.. Our alarm thankfully immediately alerted dispatch when I didn't immediately answer the home phone(as I knew was their procedure).. Our LE quickly arrived and are thankfully known for their prompt arrival upon dispatch..
But that intruder without a doubt knew that he was entering a home that was occupied!! Of that I have no doubt.. To further complicate the matter IMO it was no coincidence that my husband had just began working nightshift within 2 weeks of the break in!!

Hallelujah this young mom was prepared!! From reading the article and the obvious premeditation that took place(including killing her two dogs prior to the break in along with stalking).. I think most of us fully realize that had this young mom not been equipped with this shotgun that she at the very least would have been raped and likely murdered!!

There is a reason that we have a right to bear arms and this story is the perfect example of why IMO!!

ETA: did I mention that I was thankful(ie. "thankfully") enough times in my post??:crazy:

As I watch HLN about this story I am thinking there is way more to this than meets the eye.

JMO

Thank you Jesus that we still have the right to bear arms because this the perfect example of how guns save lives!! Lives of the innocent!! And from a similar experience it's the exact reason that my family INSIDE MY VERY OWN HOME are protected in this exact same way.. Thank God due to our alarm system sounding as the intruder broke in was seemingly enough to send him running but had he not I was up and ready, gathered my son(who was 5 at the time) hid him and entered the front of the house fully armed and wouldn't have hesitated to shoot on sight of the intruder.. Thankfully he'd run soon thereafter he'd gotten the side door of my home open.. Our alarm thankfully immediately alerted dispatch when I didn't immediately answer the home phone(as I knew was their procedure).. Our LE quickly arrived and are thankfully known for their prompt arrival upon dispatch..
But that intruder without a doubt knew that he was entering a home that was occupied!! Of that I have no doubt.. To further complicate the matter IMO it was no coincidence that my husband had just began working nightshift within 2 weeks of the break in!!

Hallelujah this young mom was prepared!! From reading the article and the obvious premeditation that took place(including killing her two dogs prior to the break in along with stalking).. I think most of us fully realize that had this young mom not been equipped with this shotgun that she at the very least would have been raped and likely murdered!!

There is a reason that we have a right to bear arms and this story is the perfect example of why IMO!!
Wow thank you for the info.

I am proud of her! If more people defended their home this way, maybe less people wold try to break in. This girl would have been raped, kidnapped and killed, I am sure. Glad she stood up for herself!

I was just coming to post on this story after reading about it. Way to go - we need more mothers like this. I love it that she said 'there's nothing more dangerous than a mother with a child.'

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO. "It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/okla-woman...perators-shoot/story?id=15285605#.TwTz82BAi8w

If she would not of had those weapons and used one of them, she and her son would have wound up as another crime statistic. She most likely kidnapped, tortured, and murdered and who knows what they would have done to the baby. And they knew that she had just buried her husband.

It is hard to get one's mind around the depravity in today's society.

They spent 20 minutes breaking into an occupied home armed with a long hunting knife and used in a threatening manner. I hope they can charge the other deviant with something more than burglary, at least attempted murder.

Someone won the Darwin Award. :floorlaugh:

Sorry to hear that Sarah McKinley's husband passed away. Condolences to Sarah McKinley and her family.

ETA: did I mention that I was thankful(ie. "thankfully") enough times in my post??:crazy:

Wow. What a story. I am so glad that there was a good outcome for you.

Something similar happened to me in grad school. After a friend of mine was found strangled, I got a .22 Beretta and a .38 revolver, and a permit to carry a concealed weapon. (Yeah, maybe a little much but she lived alone not far from where I lived alone). One night I had gone to bed early because I had to be at work the next morning at 7:00am. About midnight, I heard someone at the door - banging, pushing. I jumped up, grabbed both pistols, turned all the lights on, and ran towards the door pointing both pistols. I saw a shadow go running off in the dark. When I got to the door, it was already ajar. I quickly locked it - and deadbolted in this time. I sat awake most of the night, terrified. I'm not sure why I didn't call 911 at that moment but I didn't. The next morning, I went outside to leave for work and there were footprints in the snow. That's when I called 911. They came but I swear to God they didn't take it seriously. I told them that I was friends with the girl who had been murdered/strangled and would they fingerprint? Something? Nope. Never did.

The Beretta was stolen out of my car one night about a year later, and my dad asked for the revolver for my grandmother. So I didn't own another gun for over 20 years. DH and I now own a rifle and two shotguns. And won't hesitate to use them to protect our family if we have to. I just hope we never have to.

I'm so glad that Sarah McKinley had weapons and kept a level head throughout her ordeal. She did the right thing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/04/mom-kills-intruder_n_1183336.html

"I've got two guns in my hand -- Is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" McKinley asked the 911 operator.

"I can't tell you that you can do that, but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told McKinley when she asked a second time. The call went on for 21 minutes as the men powered their way into McKinley's house.

article-2082210-0F5631FD00000578-25_634x372.jpg

21 minutes on the 911 call? Where was LE? Why would it take that long for them to get there? Thank God she was armed for her sake and that of her baby. 21 minutes of terror and no one to help. Geez.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back