Math HW Refers to Slaves, Beatings

angelmom

The love stays...forever in our hearts
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/parents-outraged-after-homework-assignment-refers-/nGHHr/

Several Gwinnett parents contacted Channel 2 Action News in outrage after their children brought home a math assignment that referenced slavery and beatings.

<snip>

The question was a word problem that said, "Each tree had 56 oranges. If eight slaves pick them equally, then how much would each slave pick?"

Another math problem said, "If Frederick got two beatings per day, how many beatings did he get in 1 one week?

<snip>

"In this one, the teachers were trying to do a cross-curricular activity," district spokeswoman Sloan Roach said.

I can't believe she said that with a straight face. :furious:

It's amazing so few realize how many sub-standard minds teach our children.

What sucks almost as much as the phrased equation, is how it gives the appearance that something like this is acceptable in the south, so acceptable that it's no problem to use it in a math book used by at least hundreds of students.
It's definitely not acceptable and has been on the local news several days in a row. Most people are just as horrified and embarrassed as I am.

What sucks almost as much as the phrased equation, is how it gives the appearance that something like this is acceptable in the south, so acceptable that it's no problem to use it in a math book used by at least hundreds of students.
It's definitely not acceptable and has been on the local news several days in a row. Most people are just as horrified and embarrassed as I am.

You brought up what I wanted to comment on, Evan's mom. I don't have working speakers so couldn't listen to the video. I noticed the source/publisher of these worksheets was conveniently omitted. All of my 3rd graders math homework comes from a workbook with tear out sheets or worksheets from the publisher of a heavy hardcover math book. At the start of the school year parents are informed of what books and by which publisher the students will be using throughout the school year.

How was this missed? How does something like this even get distributed to students? Did these worksheets come from an established publisher? Something pulled off a teaching site online or was this some kind of not so funny joke some (unusual person) ?

I'm floored to read this. I'm very interested in seeing what repercussions the school administration, teachers, school district etc. will face. I hope it is some kind of serious repercussion. :furious:

I think it was something the teachers developed on their own with no publisher.

Roach said the administration will work with teachers on how to develop better questions that are "meaningful and appropriate."

I believe you are correct. This is still a leading story on the morning news and that's pretty much what I got from today's lead in.
Apparently it was one teacher that wrote the questions/equations, but all of the third grade teachers saw the worksheets and seemed to approve since nothing was said until the parents saw them.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/school-district-launches-hr-investigation-controve/nGJfJ/

I am one who thinks every teacher should have a full pychological exam before being sent in to teach our children. I always didnt thnk this but after being sbjcted to more than a few instances of WTF cuased by a teacher I strongly support the idea.

Off topic.

Currently the project my 6 year old son has been asked to do for homework is a map of his bedroom. WFT?? Who decided that is was a good idea for my son to draw a map of his room and hand it out to strangers? (to me anyway) Not to mention letting my son think this is a safe thing to do when asked to0.:waitasec:.

Well, I guess that's better than what I thought. I thought they're still using math books from the early 1800s.

I believe you are correct. This is still a leading story on the morning news and that's pretty much what I got from today's lead in.
Apparently it was one teacher that wrote the questions/equations, but all of the third grade teachers saw the worksheets and seemed to approve since nothing was said until the parents saw them.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/school-district-launches-hr-investigation-controve/nGJfJ/

There are no words. Whoever wrote this and all those who did not stand up to the inappropriateness of the questions should be fired. That there is no oversite or need for approval from the principal or school board with hand written worksheets or assignments written by a teacher when they are not written by a reputable publisher blows my mind. It's a sad day when those teaching our students lack the common sense to know better.

Not only should the person who wrote the assignment be fired along with those who failed to speak about it's inappropriateness, but the person who came up with the lame excuse about tying in a social studies lesson trying to minimize this horrendous behavior should be fired as well. None of these people should ever be allowed to teach again. It's an employers market out there. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified applicants who would be more than willing and are far more capable.

I am one who thinks every teacher should have a full pychological exam before being sent in to teach our children. I always didnt thnk this but after being sbjcted to more than a few instances of WTF cuased by a teacher I strongly support the idea.

Off topic.

Currently the project my 6 year old son has been asked to do for homework is a map of his bedroom. WFT?? Who decided that is was a good idea for my son to draw a map of his room and hand it out to strangers? (to me anyway) Not to mention letting my son think this is a safe thing to do when asked to0.:waitasec:.

I would not allow my child to do the assignment. I'd call and tell the teacher along with the administration there is NO way my child is going to draw a map of his bedroom. I'd make it very clear why doing so is inappropriate and I would demand to know why the assignment wasn't to do a map of another area of the home.

There are many ways they could have done "cross-cultural" activities without reference to slaves and beatings. OMG. What a lame-brain excuse!

Some mentally ill/ racist teacher wrote those questions, and some idiots went along with her down the slippery slope. :twocents: Maybe they all agreed or maybe they just weren't paying enough attention, but thank God the parents spoke up about it.

Please don't judge the South on stuff like this. Every region has idiots and racists, ours are just more outspoken for some reason.

I've gone to school in the south, and so have my kids, and I can't imagine any teacher being that stupid, period. There's just no excuse, and the one who wrote the questions should be fired.

How horrible!!!!

I agree Cubby - everyone involved in this needs to be fired - NOW!

That's the problem in this country. Too many idjit teachers and even when they get caught - they are allowed to keep their jobs.

As for the map of their bedroom - that is an "old lesson" from years back. I used to run across it. I thought it was quite intrusive as well. So, I would have the kids "map" our classroom or cafeteria or playground or library (give them choices). The objective was teaching them about scale and positioning of items on a map. I actually saw one that wanted them to "map" their route from school to home.

It takes a quick mind and a abject thinker to re-word some of this carp that comes from these textbook publishers. I just don't understand ANY teacher nowadays that would have read those questions and NOT be mortified!!!!!

IDJITS!!!!

I had to come back and post some "after thoughts" here.

IF any of the good teachers in this school had seen that homework sheet and questioned either the teacher or admin - then THEY would have been ostracized from the "system". Don't want to make the school or anyone associated with it look "bad" - KWIM?

I've spoken up here AT SCHOOL BOARD MEETINGS and because of that I have been blackballed from this district. I called out the "bored" members BEFORE they went to PRISON! Yes, I said prison. We currently have TWO in prison now and one more waiting trial. Bribes, mis-use of office, - you name it - they were charged by the feds. I've followed it all. We had a Grand Jury come back in their final report and said that if "the State Constitution was worded differently, they (the Grand Jury) would have recommended that Broward County School Board be disbanded and abolished!!!!" So, go figger.

I can't wait to get out of this place. I could go on for HOURS about bad teachers (including pedophiles) that have been, not only allowed to stay in classrooms with our children but actually have been investigated and reprimanded by the State DOE and still allowed to keep their jobs.

Just a few examples:

B. Silver - pedophile. Was reported to be "touching" middle school boys for SEVEN YEARS!!!!! Yes, I said seven years! Nothing was done here - LE was never called. He was arrested for molesting boys in Hawaii at the resport he was vacationing at!!!!

1st grade teacher - was arrested for SHOOTING her husband in the leg (domestic) was allowed to keep job. Two years later was investigated for HITTING her little first graders!!

The drunks are just too many to mention. Caught NUMEROUS times DRUNK at school - yet allowed to continue.

The cheats - YEP - teachers giving out answers or changing answers on state mandated tests. Caught, busted, and reprimanded by State DOE and still allowed to remain in the classroom.

Ok ok ok - I'll stop. I could go on about this carp for hours. I have the documentation to back it all up. BUT, because it "paints this district in a bad light" - I should just keep my mouth shut.

I'm a mom FIRST - and NO I won't keep my mouth shut.

Our kids deserve better and, as parents, we should DEMAND better.

*****stepping down from soapbox now*****

I had to come back and post some "after thoughts" here.

IF any of the good teachers in this school had seen that homework sheet and questioned either the teacher or admin - then THEY would have been ostracized from the "system". Don't want to make the school or anyone associated with it look "bad" - KWIM?

I've spoken up here AT SCHOOL BOARD MEETINGS and because of that I have been blackballed from this district. I called out the "bored" members BEFORE they went to PRISON! Yes, I said prison. We currently have TWO in prison now and one more waiting trial. Bribes, mis-use of office, - you name it - they were charged by the feds. I've followed it all. We had a Grand Jury come back in their final report and said that if "the State Constitution was worded differently, they (the Grand Jury) would have recommended that Broward County School Board be disbanded and abolished!!!!" So, go figger.

I can't wait to get out of this place. I could go on for HOURS about bad teachers (including pedophiles) that have been, not only allowed to stay in classrooms with our children but actually have been investigated and reprimanded by the State DOE and still allowed to keep their jobs.

Just a few examples:

B. Silver - pedophile. Was reported to be "touching" middle school boys for SEVEN YEARS!!!!! Yes, I said seven years! Nothing was done here - LE was never called. He was arrested for molesting boys in Hawaii at the resport he was vacationing at!!!!

1st grade teacher - was arrested for SHOOTING her husband in the leg (domestic) was allowed to keep job. Two years later was investigated for HITTING her little first graders!!

The drunks are just too many to mention. Caught NUMEROUS times DRUNK at school - yet allowed to continue.

The cheats - YEP - teachers giving out answers or changing answers on state mandated tests. Caught, busted, and reprimanded by State DOE and still allowed to remain in the classroom.

Ok ok ok - I'll stop. I could go on about this carp for hours. I have the documentation to back it all up. BUT, because it "paints this district in a bad light" - I should just keep my mouth shut.

I'm a mom FIRST - and NO I won't keep my mouth shut.

Our kids deserve better and, as parents, we should DEMAND better.

*****stepping down from soapbox now*****

I'm so happy you chose to stand up to these dangers to children. Thank you! There is never an excuse not to protect children, even if it means getting blackballed as you mentioned. I'd rather speak and be ostracized than not speak and allow a child to be endangered.

BBM. What is the repercussion for mandatory reporters not reporting? Teachers and school admin are mandatory reporters, no?

Yes cubby - teachers and admin are mandatory reporters BUT they find ways around it. As for the case of Silver - the school district has their own SIU (Special Investigative Unit) - they are NOT LE but they can investigate and they did. All that was ever done to him was a slap on the wrist and a stern "don't do that again" - which he did over and over and over until he had gotten so brazen that he figured he was untouchable and went on vacation to Hawaii and molested those boys at the resort.

As for being blackballed. Well, I haven't worked for 3 years now. I have 15 years experience and am already fully vetted for my pension BUT I still want to work. I WILL NOT ever work for this district again and I've been scouting teaching jobs in areas I would like to go. I want out of South Florida anyway. The schools here are bad - really bad.

Before I go though - I do think I will make one more appearance at a school board meeting and get 3 - 4 other people to go with me - to give me THEIR time as well (you only get 3 minutes to speak so if they all sign up, then they can give me their time - won't that bug the chit outta them?) I plan on giving them a piece of my mind AND with documentation (copied and passed out to each of them) that backs up everything I plan to say.

As for being blackballed. Well, I haven't worked for 3 years now. I have 15 years experience and am already fully vetted for my pension BUT I still want to work. I WILL NOT ever work for this district again and I've been scouting teaching jobs in areas I would like to go. I want out of South Florida anyway. The schools here are bad - really bad.

Before I go though - I do think I will make one more appearance at a school board meeting and get 3 - 4 other people to go with me - to give me THEIR time as well (you only get 3 minutes to speak so if they all sign up, then they can give me their time - won't that bug the chit outta them?) I plan on giving them a piece of my mind AND with documentation (copied and passed out to each of them) that backs up everything I plan to say.

You're awesome! Please have somebody video that meeting and then put it up on Youtube!! :rocker:

I understand the 'cross-circulation' they are attempting. But, I think what any good history teacher would tell you is that slavery should STAY in history class.

IIRC, a teacher a few years ago put out a math test using sales of grams of crack and how many tricks a hooker had to make. I just quickly looked for a link, but I couldn't find one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back