NY NY - Michael McLaughlin, 21, Syracruse, 23 Oct 1975

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mclaughlin_michael.html

http://troopers.ny.gov/wanted_and_missing/missing/view.cfm?ID=a846962c-1373-4fc4-af6e-ba0f9abb3e9f

Just before his disappearance, McLaughlin withdrew from the Syracuse School of Art.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/7dmny.html

Friends said he was carrying $3,000 that his father had sent him to buy a car.

The truck he then owned, for which he already had buyers, was found parked in the driveway of the house on Harvard Place where he lived with other students. A later check of his room revealed another $250 in a tool box. The student was not reported missing until early November, after his father unsuccessfully tried to reach him by phone. It was most unusual for him to be gone more than a day or two.
His check book was also missing but had not been used since October.

http://syracusepolice.org/listing.asp?orgId=187&parent=171

Date Reported: 03 Nov 75

I can't find any archived articles as of this time. The Syracruse NY PD just added a cold case area to their website and that is the link directly above this one. Picture is from that link.

Attachments

• mclaughlin.png
    mclaughlin.png
    66.4 KB · Views: 39
I married into this family 10 years ago. My husband mentioned his cousin in passing and I promptly forgot all about this case until recently. I then googled what little I knew -- and realized his cousin's case is detailed on many websites. We are attempting to contact family members to try and put more of his story out there. My husband and i believe there is a possibility that he may be still alive. This is something that is not discussed within the family; my husband remembers that at the time the family did not pursue an aggressive investigation because they did not want the publicity. I'll come back to post when I learn more.

Bumping.rbbm.
http://newyorkstatemissingpersons.ning.com/photo/michael-scott-mclaughlin?context=latest

McLaughlin was last seen by his roommates on October 23, 1975 in Syracuse, NY. He withdrew from the Syracuse School of Art just days prior to his disappearance in order to visit his girl friend but he never made the trip. He did not attend classes after October 20th, three days before he vanished, by arrangement with the College of Visual and Performing Arts. He had planned to leave for England from his home December 1.

Friends who lived with him on Harvard Place said he left there without incident October 23 to "go to lunch" on Marshall Street, although police later learned McLaughlin already had lunch, and had not been observed in the student shopping area by anyone they interviewed.

Friends said he was carrying $3,000 that his father had sent him to buy a car.

The truck he then owned, for which he already had buyers, was found parked in the driveway of the house on Harvard Place where he lived with other students. A later check of his room revealed another $250 in a tool box. The student was not reported missing until early November, after his father unsuccessfully tried to reach him by phone. It was most unusual for him to be gone more than a day or two.
His check book was also missing but had not been used since October.

Investigators
If you have any information as to the whereabouts of McLaughlin or the circumstances of his disappearance, please contact:
Syracuse Police Department
315-442-5330
Email
Anonymous Tip Form

Agency Case Number: W-89068

http://doenetwork.org/cases/7dmny.html

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• MMcLaughlin.jpg
    MMcLaughlin.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 201
  • MMcLaughlin2.jpg
    MMcLaughlin2.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 202
  • MMcLaughlin1.jpg
    MMcLaughlin1.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 197
This is just a complete wild card, but am wondering if there is any chance that Michael was acquainted with this missing young man from Ontario?
They share some similarities imo, for example Ricky also was enrolled in a college art program in Toronto, which he left prematurely, and he too inexplicably "went missing" in October, on the 18th, in 1975.
Speculation, imo
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?315762-Richard-quot-Ricky-quot-Henry-Jones-18-October-1975-Brantford-Ontario&p=12809801&highlight=Richard+Ricky+Henry+Jones%2C#post12809801
[h=2]Richard "Ricky" Henry Jones, 18, October, 1975, Brantford, Ontario[/h]

I married into this family 10 years ago. My husband mentioned his cousin in passing and I promptly forgot all about this case until recently. I then googled what little I knew -- and realized his cousin's case is detailed on many websites. We are attempting to contact family members to try and put more of his story out there. My husband and i believe there is a possibility that he may be still alive. This is something that is not discussed within the family; my husband remembers that at the time the family did not pursue an aggressive investigation because they did not want the publicity. I'll come back to post when I learn more.

Has anything happened with this case? I'm not sure why, but this case has always bothered me.

I was the roommate that picked up the phone when Scott's father called the house where Scott was living. I was living with my boyfriend at the time in the house with Scott, my boyfriend, and 2 other guys. Every time Scott's father called the person that picked up the phone would tell him that Scott wasn't there or some nonsense. I didn't ever pick up the phone because I didn't want my boyfriend's parents to hear my voice and know I was up there living with their son. Finally, after 2 weeks of the guys not telling the truth I picked up the phone and told the truth. I just couldn't take it anymore! I have lived with a lot of regret that I did not pick up the phone sooner. My name was not on the lease and I felt my position in the house was pretty precarious as I was sharing my boyfriend's room. Times were different back then.
It wasn't common for people to 'live together.' In any case, I didn't know that the parents did not pursue aggressively so I feel a little less guilty now. I DO know that the guys living in the house knew that Scott was buying and selling drugs and felt he must have been murdered over it.

I was the roommate that picked up the phone when Scott's father called the house where Scott was living. I was living with my boyfriend at the time in the house with Scott, my boyfriend, and 2 other guys. Every time Scott's father called the person that picked up the phone would tell him that Scott wasn't there or some nonsense. I didn't ever pick up the phone because I didn't want my boyfriend's parents to hear my voice and know I was up there living with their son. Finally, after 2 weeks of the guys not telling the truth I picked up the phone and told the truth. I just couldn't take it anymore! I have lived with a lot of regret that I did not pick up the phone sooner. My name was not on the lease and I felt my position in the house was pretty precarious as I was sharing my boyfriend's room. Times were different back then.
It wasn't common for people to 'live together.' In any case, I didn't know that the parents did not pursue aggressively so I feel a little less guilty now. I DO know that the guys living in the house knew that Scott was buying and selling drugs and felt he must have been murdered over it.

Welcome to Ws Bakequery, thanks for that extra information!
Any chance that Scott may have gone to Ontario, Canada or any idea where in NY he was possibly planning to meet someone?
It would be so nice for his family and friends if Scott was finally located.

Bumping.
http://syracusepolice.org/listing.asp?orgId=187
Cold Cases
Michael Scott McLaughlin

mclaughlin.png

[h=3]Michael Scott McLaughlin[/h]
Missing Person - Suspicious Circumstances
Case Number: W89068
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 165 lbs.
Missing From: 126 Harvard Pl., Syracuse, NY
Date Reported: 03 Nov 75

Synopsis: Michael Scott McLaughlin was last seen at the corner of S. Crouse Ave. and Marshall St. at approximately 1200 hrs. on October 23[SUP]rd[/SUP], 1975; he had recently withdrawn from the Syracuse University School of Art.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is urged to contact the Syracuse Police Department Cold Case Homicide Squad at (315) 442-5234 or by e-mail at coldcasesquad@syracusepolice.org. All tips will be kept confidential.

I'm curious why the roommates did not tell the father the truth and why his truck was still at the house he shared with the roommates. I'm curious what they told Law enforcement about the last time they saw him because he apparently did not leave in his truck.

Thinking of the families of the missing. I wish that Michael McLaughlin's family will get a Christmas miracle and find out where he is after all these years.

This is just a complete wild card, but am wondering if there is any chance that Michael was acquainted with this missing young man from Ontario?
They share some similarities imo, for example Ricky also was enrolled in a college art program in Toronto, which he left prematurely, and he too inexplicably "went missing" in October, on the 18th, in 1975.
Speculation, imo
CANADA - Canada - Richard 'Ricky' Jones, 18, Brantford, Ont, Oct 1975
[h=2]Richard "Ricky" Henry Jones, 18, October, 1975, Brantford, Ontario[/h]
That is interesting

Michael McLaughlin

NamUs MP # 7600
Onondaga County, New York
21 year old white male
Missing Person Case

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactOctober 23, 1975
NamUs Case CreatedJuly 1, 2010
Last Known Location Map
LocationSyracuse, New York
CountyOnondaga County

Circumstances of Disappearance

Micheal was a college student at Syracuse University when he was last seen by friends in the area of Harvard Place and Marshall Street.
His hometown is Manhassett, New York. Michael was known amongst his friends by the first name "Scott".

Just for those that don't know Manhasset is on Long Island.

Either i forgot or missed it, but some believe that Michael may have been spotted in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
Michael Scott McLaughlin – The Charley Project
rbbm.
"McLaughlin resided in the 100 block of Harvard Place in Syracuse, off Westcott Street, when he vanished. He may have been seen in the restaurant of a Holiday Inn in Kingston, Ontario three days after his disappearance, but this has not been confirmed."

"Some reports place the amount of cash he had on him at as high as $7,000, and he may have been carrying a small personal check as well. McLaughlin had a reputation for carrying large sums of money at the time he disappeared."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back