NY NY - Jane Kelsey, 27, Syracruse, 22 Aug 1994

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kelsey_jane.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2449dfny.html

Jane Kelsey of 139 North Geddes Street, was last seen in the Western Lights Plaza, where she had been shopping with her family.
Kelsey's former boyfriend approached her at the shopping center and proposed marriage in the jewelry department at Kmart.
After Kelsey declined, the pair left together on the ex-boyfriend's bicycle.
The ex-boyfriend told police that he dropped Kelsey off at Fayette and North Geddes Streets at 17.30.

http://newyorkstatemissingpersons.ning.com/photo/jane-kelsey-syracuse-ny

Syracuse Police Department
315-442-5200

Case Number: 94-135005

NCIC Number:
M-806514864

I can find no archived articles at this time. She was added to a new area of the Syracruse NY PD website. The picture below is from the first link in this posting.

Attachments

• JAKelsey1.jpg
    JAKelsey1.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 37
Doenetwork says she was in the midst of an "emotional crisis" thats why she wasnt reported right away. I wonder what the crisis was.

Sending prayers of love, strength and comfort to all who wait for Jane Alice to come home.

April 27 2018
http://www.localsyr.com/news/local-...-unit-closing-in-on-missing-person/1146799798
rbbm.
SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) - The Syracuse Police Department's Cold Case Unit is getting closer to finding the body of a woman missing since 1994.

Jane Kelsey was last seen on the afternoon of August 22, 1994 riding her bike near Western Lights Plaza with her ex-fiance.

She is still missing and presumed killed and dumped in a body of water. Police have known the general area, but may be a lot closer now.

Cold Case Det. Chris DeJoseph tells NewsChannel 9, "We've recently discovered some new advancements in aquatic forensics and we're working with some experts and we think we may have narrowed down the area significantly."

DeJoseph and partner Det. Tom Murfitt come to work everyday with the hopes of getting the tip that may help them solve the roughly 80 cases that are sent there way after going 5-years unsolved.

"You can't even think about not closing the case," Murfitt says.

Charley Project updated: Jane Alice Kelsey – The Charley Project

Details of Disappearance
Kelsey was last seen at the Western Lights Plaza in the 100 block of Velasko Road between Grand Avenue and Onondaga Boulevard in Syracuse, New York on August 22, 1984. She was shopping with her family.

Her former boyfriend, Ronald L. Tillinghast, approached her while she was in the jewelry section at K-Mart and asked her to marry him, but Kelsey refused. Afterwards, she and her Tillinghast left together on his bicycle. He later said he dropped her off at 5:30 p.m. at Fayette and North Geddes Streets. She has never been heard from again. Her loved ones filed a missing persons report the next day.

Authorities initially believed Kelsey may have left of her own accord, but as time passed without her contacting anyone, they began to suspect foul play. She does not have a prior history of leaving without warning.

Tillinghast, whom she had dated for eight years, cooperated with the investigation at first, but dropped out of sight after a few days. A month later, after he was arrested for probation violation, he said he had been camping along Onondaga Lake. Investigators searched the campsite, but turned up no evidence in Kelsey's disappearance.

A photo of Tillinghast is posted with this case summary. He still lives in Syracuse and is a registered sex offender; he was convicted of attempted rape in 1999. He also has an arrest record for theft which predates Kelsey's disappearance.

Kelsey lived in the 100 block of north Geddes Street in 1994. Her case remains unsolved.

Also added to NamUs: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Missing for 26 years, Jane Kelsey
Pictures and more information on Jane and her disappearance as told by her daughter and her mothers friend.

Missing for 26 years, Jane Kelsey
4orpvON_d.webp

My birth mother and I... I believe 1992 or 93
480Gt20_d.webp

26 years missing since August 22nd 1994 My birth mother Jane Alice Kelsey Syracuse, NY My birth father who is a registered sex offender RONALD TILLINGHAST - attempted rape of an 11 year old in 1999 https://nysexoffenders.com/offender/ronald-tillinghast-10215
The story was told to me by one of Jane’s friends: "He went nuts after she left him all he talked about was getting her back. He found out she was seeing someone. And told Tammy (Janes friend) if he couldn't have her, no one could. Which we thought was just him blowing off steam. He thought proposing to her would make her come back. So he met up with her at western lights when she went shopping with family. They took off on his bike together and no one ever saw her again. When Tammy tried to call her the next morning to find out how it went she couldn't reach her. The guy Jane was seeing/staying with, had an alibi, and showed police her personal items that she would not leave behind if she'd just left. Police started the search, and we went about making the missing posters and putting them places nearby western lights and the places she might go. Ron ended up having a burglary warrant put on him and police finally found him camping out near Onondaga lake in the cold. He was trying to avoid being found if we found Jane's body. Tammy and I went to see him at the mail to see what he would say about the day he went to propose. All he said was that she had said no. Then he whispered to Tammy that it was her statement that would hang him. Meaning it showed premeditation Years later a friend of his that was arrested for something told police trying to strike a plea deal, a story we still aren't sure is true. That Ron had strangled her, and he helped Ron put her body in some kind of drum they weighted down, and he drove him to the old railroad bridge "three rivers bridge" in baldwinsville. And dumped her into the river. Divers found nothing, but police said the river there is so deep, murky, and runs so fast, that she could be sunk into the bottom, or swept downriver and could have ended up pretty much anywhere. Since the rivers meet there and go out to different lakes, it's impossible to know. It makes sense tho why she's never been found. And it's messed up that police can't do anything based on this. They told us repeatedly, with no body there's no evidence." The Syracuse Police Cold Case Squad believes there are at least one or two people in the area who know something about this case, but aren’t telling what they know. Aside from information about what happened to Kelsey the day she vanished, other people may have heard or seen things that could help close the case. If you know ANYTHING about my birth mothers case, please come forward! Perp Patrol Cold Case: Where is Jane Kelsey? Jane Alice Kelsey – The Charley Project #JusticeForJane #JaneAliceKelsey #ColdCas EDIT: I posted this really rushed so I understand there’s a lot of questions and missing information that I didn’t even think to include. I was given up for adoption once I was born. My birth mother wanted me to have a better life than why she could provide me with. My adoptive parents were foster parents. I was the last child they took in and they fell in love with me immediately. They got me when I was 6 months old. They officially adopted me in 1994. It was always an open adoption which is why she wrote me a letter and why I have photos of me and her together. I don’t remember her at all. My parents didn’t tell me what happened to her until I was 13 or 14 years old. But I always kind of had a feeling something terrible happened because they always told me they would tell me about her when I was old enough. The articles that state a child was with her shopping the day she went missing; it was not me. But my older biological sister that she still had and took care of. My adoptive parents said they believed Jane to be on the slower side and had the mental capacity of a young teenager which is why the letter she wrote me seemed like a “10 year old” wrote it. I hope this clears some things up. I like to share her story almost every year on her anniversary of her disappearance. This year I’m trying hard to get it more recognized. I plan to put flyers all over Syracuse. I’m hoping someone that could know anything about her disappearance will come forward with new information. Or maybe they’ll search the waters again or bring Ronald Tillinghast in for questioning. I’m just trying to have some hope.
ljIXmEn_d.webp

bxcZl5w.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow