GA - Pit Bull Attack on 8yo girl, details during trial

Trident

Former Member
Reaction score
I looked, but didn't see anything about this - the 911 call is enough to make you sick and shake all over.

Jurors in the trial of Twyann Vaughn on Jan. 4 heard graphic accounts of how two of Vaughn’s pit bulls attacked a young girl.

“They chased her, they toppled her and they dragged her down the street as they began to maul her,” said Solicitor General Sherry Boston of the attack on Erin Ingram, a Rock Chapel Elementary School student.

http://championnewspaper.com/news/a...s-of-pit-bull-attack-emerge-at-trial1282.html

As much as I love animals, I'm terrified of pit bulls. There's one that runs wild in our neighborhood and has kept me from being able to walk my dogs for over a year. He'll be outside my house and growl at me if I try to get to my car. I've called animal control and they won't come unless I have the dog contained...like that's going to happen. I've called the sheriff's office twice and they just roll me right back to animal control. Unless he actually attacks me they'll do nothing. Now I have to carry pepper spray to be feel safe walking in and out of my house. Seriously, pits are scary dogs.

As much as I love animals, I'm terrified of pit bulls. There's one that runs wild in our neighborhood and has kept me from being able to walk my dogs for over a year. He'll be outside my house and growl at me if I try to get to my car. I've called animal control and they won't come unless I have the dog contained...like that's going to happen. I've called the sheriff's office twice and they just roll me right back to animal control. Unless he actually attacks me they'll do nothing. Now I have to carry pepper spray to be feel safe walking in and out of my house. Seriously, pits are scary dogs.

Reality Orlando, does your county not have leash laws? Just the fact that the dog is running loose should be enough to get the animal warden out, at least where I live. Any loose dog can be a threat. And, the larger the dog, the more danger of serious injury. It's mind-boggling that your community doesn't have laws to prevent this.

Does one of your local newspapers or TV stations have a "Call for Action" or Problem Solver" type of phone number? I would be calling that non-stop. What a disgusting situation and I hope you and your neighbors stay safe! It sounds to me like some of your local agencies need to clean house and hire people who will do their jobs. :twocents:

Reality Orlando, does your county not have leash laws? Just the fact that the dog is running loose should be enough to get the animal warden out, at least where I live. Any loose dog can be a threat. And, the larger the dog, the more danger of serious injury. It's mind-boggling that your community doesn't have laws to prevent this.

Yes, we have leash laws here but...I live pretty far out in the country and dog calls are not a priority apparently unless they are actually attacking you. I've called twice and they transfer me to animal control. They show up hours later after the dog is no where to be found. I've yet to find out who owns him...neighbors don't recognize him so he may be a stray.

Does one of your local newspapers or TV stations have a "Call for Action" or Problem Solver" type of phone number? I would be calling that non-stop. What a disgusting situation and I hope you and your neighbors stay safe! It sounds to me like some of your local agencies need to clean house and hire people who will do their jobs. :twocents:

Thanks! Well, the problem is more of logistics than anything else. I'm out in the country. Resources are more limited out here and therefore take a bit longer to arrive. There's also a big ol' rottie that comes trotting around, but she's a sweetie and doesn't scare me nor does the chihuahuas that come trotting around from time to time. The only dog that scares me is the pit and he's actually backed me up into my house growling and with hackles raised so I was scared to leave.

Reality - I would also suggest getting a pellet gun, that way, he doesn't have to get close enough to you for you to have to use the pepper spray.

Or, if you are brave enough, or foolish enough like I would be lol, you could try and befriend him with treats. He might have just had a bad life...

Reality - I would also suggest getting a pellet gun, that way, he doesn't have to get close enough to you for you to have to use the pepper spray.

Or, if you are brave enough, or foolish enough like I would be lol, you could try and befriend him with treats. He might have just had a bad life...

I've been around animals all my life and absolutely hate that this dog has me stymied like this, but I don't think there is any making friends. Last year he went nuts on my outside gate trying to get to my dogs (golden and yorkie). Even after I got them inside he continued growling and clawing at the gate. That's one of the times I called for animal control but by the time anyone got there he was long gone. :(

Would the pellet gun hurt him permanently? I've never fired one and wouldn't want to cause him severe pain.

No a pellet gun will do nothing to a pit. They can nearly have their skulls cracked in and they just keep locked onto what they are attacking.

Isn't it insane that some dog has you in fear? We live in an upside down world. In my Grandfather's, heck even my Mother's, day you would get a gun, go out and walk your dogs and shoot that monster if it attacked you.

I do not like pits. I've had Bull Terriers and raised them and a bad temperament runs in a blood line and you never know. It is not solely the humans who raise them as I've raised puppies by tube and bottle feeding and nothing but love and watched them try to tear each other apart at 8 weeks old. Nuff said. They are mental time bombs; some may never go off and others will go off and they will kill.

No a pellet gun will do nothing to a pit. They can nearly have their skulls cracked in and they just keep locked onto what they are attacking.

Isn't it insane that some dog has you in fear? We live in an upside down world. In my Grandfather's, heck even my Mother's, day you would get a gun, go out and walk your dogs and shoot that monster if it attacked you.

I do not like pits. I've had Bull Terriers and raised them and a bad temperament runs in a blood line and you never know. It is not solely the humans who raise them as I've raised puppies by tube and bottle feeding and nothing but love and watched them try to tear each other apart at 8 weeks old. Nuff said. They are mental time bombs; some may never go off and others will go off and they will kill.

It is so frustrating not being able to walk my dogs. I have to take them to a park or one of the wilderness areas which is really ridiculous. It's even worse to have to run surveillance before I can leave the house. Sometimes I won't see him for weeks then all of a sudden, there he is again. It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone. Seriously, I know it sounds like I'm being a wuss, but this dog is really scary and I live pretty rural so if he did attack me it's possible no one would hear me to come help during the day as the few that live close are at work. I carry a .22 magnum but I'd never want to have to shoot and not know where the bullet could end up if I missed. It's a fairly frustrating situation for sure.

Hmm. Just don't miss.

The story is heartbreaking and that call is just too much. I hope the owner has to do at least 5 years.

Hmm. Just don't miss.

The story is heartbreaking and that call is just too much. I hope the owner has to do at least 5 years.

I agree...just so sad and I do hope the owner is held accountable.

Of course if any dog is attacking a pellet gun would do nothing, but, from a distance, it will usually deter dogs from even approaching. I believe dogs are opportunistic, meaning, if you let them approach you in a certain manner, and act a certain way, they will bully you. My dog(in my pic) bullies the poor people at his boarding place I almost feel guilty boarding him. When they bring him his food he jumps on them, knocking his food to the floor, where as at home, he knows where to go sit and stay until I bring his food, and even when I set it down, he knows not to eat it until I give him the command. He just has found out what he can get away with, and with whom he can misbehave with. Sometimes I think dogs are getting too smart, lol.

Also, dogs in packs can be a very dangerous situation.

I'm not going to do the whole pit bull debate. I won't, it takes too long. I love pits, I own one, I wouldn't trade him for the world. However, I only own one. And that is the highest number of pits I will have in my home at once. I think pack mentality has a lot to do with it.

Pits aren't the only dog that can snap. Personally, I am terrified of German Shepherds. I was bitten by one when I was a kid (no reason, she was just old and snippy, and someone let her out of her yard) and my roommate was bitten by one at the end of last year (while trying to keep it off school property after it got out of it's yard). Any dog can snap. Even the little ones, but it's pretty hard for a Pomeranian to maul someone to death, so we hear about it more when the big dogs snap.

Personally, I believe that no matter what you own, whether it's a pit bull or a Pomeranian, you are responsible for that dog and all of it's actions. If it snaps and hurts or kills someone, you need to be responsible for that, the same as for anything else. In this case, I do hope the owner gets more than the typical removal of the dog and slap on the wrist. There is no doubt that those dogs were not under their owner's control at the time.

You seriously are not going to compare a pit bull to a pomeranian. You NEVER hear of someone being drug off and mauled by a pomeranian, however, when you do hear of a dog attach it is usually by a Pit Bull. Nobody has said that other dogs don't bit, that's a given, they are dogs for God's sake. Just because your dog has not attacked you yet, does not mean that something could not set it off. I've read so many stories where the family NEVER EVER would have thought their dog would have done the attack yet their lies their baby , dead! The dog was so gentle , would not have hurt a fly. Whatever!
My adopted brothers birth mother was mauled and killed by two pit bulls last year and they were a neighbors PETS.

I'm not going to do the whole pit bull debate. I won't, it takes too long. I love pits, I own one, I wouldn't trade him for the world. However, I only own one. And that is the highest number of pits I will have in my home at once. I think pack mentality has a lot to do with it.

Pits aren't the only dog that can snap. Personally, I am terrified of German Shepherds. I was bitten by one when I was a kid (no reason, she was just old and snippy, and someone let her out of her yard) and my roommate was bitten by one at the end of last year (while trying to keep it off school property after it got out of it's yard). Any dog can snap. Even the little ones, but it's pretty hard for a Pomeranian to maul someone to death, so we hear about it more when the big dogs snap.

Personally, I believe that no matter what you own, whether it's a pit bull or a Pomeranian, you are responsible for that dog and all of it's actions. If it snaps and hurts or kills someone, you need to be responsible for that, the same as for anything else. In this case, I do hope the owner gets more than the typical removal of the dog and slap on the risk. There is no doubt that those dogs were not under their owner's control at the time.

Personally, I believe that no matter what you own, whether it's a pit bull or a Pomeranian, you are responsible for that dog and all of it's actions. If it snaps and hurts or kills someone, you need to be responsible for that, the same as for anything else. In this case, I do hope the owner gets more than the typical removal of the dog and slap on the risk. There is no doubt that those dogs were not under their owner's control at the time.

I totally agree with you about the pack mentality, in fact, a pack of any breed can be dangerous. The thing is (and I don't need an endless debate either) pits are more agressive and hang on tighter than other breeds, thereby causing more damage. I got bit by a cocker spaniel btw, and don't trust them either, LOL

Did you, by any chance, listen to the 911 call?

You seriously are not going to compare a pit bull to a pomeranian. You NEVER hear of someone being drug off and mauled by a pomeranian, however, when you do hear of a dog attach it is usually by a Pit Bull. Nobody has said that other dogs don't bit, that's a given, they are dogs for God's sake. Just because your dog has not attacked you yet, does not mean that something could not set it off. I've read so many stories where the family NEVER EVER would have thought their dog would have done the attack yet their lies their baby , dead! The dog was so gentle , would not have hurt a fly. Whatever!
My adopted brothers birth mother was mauled and killed by two pit bulls last year and they were a neighbors PETS.

BBM. Obviously I am, because I did. LOL.

Like I said, I won't debate pits good vs. pits bad.

I totally agree with you about the pack mentality, in fact, a pack of any breed can be dangerous. The thing is (and I don't need an endless debate either) pits are more agressive and hang on tighter than other breeds, thereby causing more damage. I got bit by a cocker spaniel btw, and don't trust them either, LOL

Did you, by any chance, listen to the 911 call?

Oh, I do agree there. I think a lot of the problem is that people forget that that big ole' pit bull is still a terrier, and they are a nervous breed. Nervous dogs attack more often. And with the whole jaw strength issue with pits, when they get hold and keep hold, they are going to tear you up a lot worse than any other dog. I totally agree with you. I listened to the 911 call, and it's one of the reasons that no mater how much I love and trust my dog, and no matter how much I might want another dog, I will never own more than one pit or more than one dog at a time. People think that it's because I'm worried about my dog attacking the other one. Nope, I'm worried about a pack forming. I figure we are all safer if my family is the only "pack" he knows.

ETA: These dogs had been aggressive in the past. Toward neighborhood kids, and then were left unattended and improperly restrained. This is not one of those cases where the owner says; "Oh my dogs were the sweetest things." Any dog, no matter the breed, should be at least evaluated the very first time it shows aggression. And the appropriate steps should taken from there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back