Firefighter killed on I-696 was focus of domestic assault investigation

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.freep.com/article/201201...ic-assault-investigation?odyssey=mod|mostview

A 41-year-old man who was hit and killed on I-696 on Thursday morning was the focus of a domestic assault investigation in Bloomfield Township, police say, and apparently did not have a flat tire when he stopped along the expressway.

Daniel Armitage, an Ann Arbor firefighter, died at 6:30 a.m. Thursday after he was hit by at least three vehicles. The crash shut down more than 6 miles of the freeway for six hours during morning rush hour. A father and his two children were injured in another chain-reaction accident.
-----

"We had the tire checked out by a certified tire mechanic, and it was not flat," Shunia said. "There were no leaks in it. It had 8 to 10 pounds of pressure in it -- you could still drive on it."
------

Meanwhile, Armitage's wife remained hospitalized in Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak on Friday, Shunia said. Police received a report that she was assaulted by Armitage on Sunday (Jan. 1) in their home in Bloomfield Township, Shunia said.

More at link....

So what are they thinking? Did he walk out in front of the first vehicle?

I dunno, although presently being investigated, I think the facts may already be known.

Sad,
:(
fran

http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-detroit/questions-raised-armitage-highway-death-investigation
Could Arbitrage have intended his own death? Investigators have found a sobering clue in his personal life.

WJBK-2 reports that Bloomfield Twp police were conducting a domestic assault investigation.

Armitage’s wife is in Beaumont Hospital and has told police about years of physical abuse.

This is a developing story so stay tuned.

full article at link ...............http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-detroit/questions-raised-armitage-highway-death-investigation

So he allegedly abused her for years. Abuse/control is a very selfish act. Never takes into account the needs, wishes or desires of the victim of the abuse.

And if he purposely stepped out in front of that first car, again a very selfish act. Never taking into account the emotions of the driver, the danger to the other occupants, the financial aspects of doing without a car, hospitalizations, physical risks to the other occupants.

And it isn't like he wouldn't be aware of the possibilities of what would happen. As a firefighter he most likely had to assist at accident w/injury scenes. So if he stepped out in front of that vehicle he knew he was likely endangering others.

But most likely all he was thinking of, all he was trying to do was to throw a guilt trip at the wife. Look what she drove him to.

Without knowing the full story, I would say that he had abused her for quite awhile. Only this time was different, he hurt her more severely this time, thus requiring hospitalization.

Now the jig was up. He was going to be exposed as an abusive spouse and may have been afraid it would cost him his job, as well as a (not deserved) stellar reputation.

Just from reading a couple of articles, he was laying in the road. Thus causing confusion as to exactly how or when he was hit. He may have layed down thinking it wouldn't cause an accident, per se, or damage to the vehicle, just his imminent death. But the problem with something like that is a driver's reflexive action. IF they spot something in the road at the last second, chances are they would swerve to avoid hitting whatever was in the road, thus causing an accident. PLUS, as you stated mysteriew , the emotional toll it would take on the unsuspecting driver.

He shoulda' just jumped from a bridge or something. :( Or preferably taken his medicine, ie either prison for a short time or anger management classes.

Sad case all around. At least the wife escaped from the situation with her life.

JMHO
fran

Medical examiner rules firefighter's death on I-696 a suicide

http://www.freep.com/article/20120109/NEWS03/120109065

The death of a 41-year-old man hit and killed on I-696 Thursday morning has been ruled a suicide by the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office.
------

Investigators said there were some things there were looking into that didn’t add up with the accident.

Witnesses told investigators that Armitage was lying in the right lane of traffic when he was hit.
------

Bloomfield Township police said they are investigating the reported domestic assault at the home on Mohawk Court, but police have not release any additional details, declining to give specifics until the investigation is complete.

A condition report was not available on Armitage's wife today.

I cannot imagine just lying in the road, waiting to be run over. My thinking is perhaps he tooks something like sleeping pills...

Being a firefighter, he's probably seen his share of fatal accidents and knew what he was doing if it's considered "suicide".

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back