Marines Caught Urinating on Dead Bodies

davehead21

Reaction score
I was surprised not to see a thread about this here, I searched but didn't find anything. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about this. There is a thread about this on another forum I frequent and the discussion has gotten very heated. Personally, I find the whole story to be disgusting and I am a little surprised that there are some people making excuses for these Marines.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_new...efense-chief-condemns-urinating-marines-video

Wrong is wrong no matter which side you are on.

Wrong is wrong no matter which side you are on.

I am NOT defending the practice (particularly not when we are trying to win hearts and minds in Afghanistan).

But in Studs Terkel's oral history, THE GOOD WAR, one Marine describes the same practice during WWII. In one case, a Japanese soldier was left with the top of his skull blown off; American soldiers took turns urinating in the head of the corpse.

(I'm sure this is not a uniquely American custom, BTW.)

i find this sickening and wholly indefensible.

I'm waiting to see if it is an unretouched photo.

If it isn't then of course I cringed when I saw it and it's reprehensible. They will pay dearly if they actually did that. The military will prosecute them to the fullest.

But I gotta wait and make sure it's not just a photoshopped pic before I lambaste them.

I wish they'd just stop reporting this kinds of stories; should be kept in the military & dealt with there . . . Semper Fi

War is hell -- William Tecumseh Sherman

I was surprised not to see a thread about this here, I searched but didn't find anything. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about this. There is a thread about this on another forum I frequent and the discussion has gotten very heated. Personally, I find the whole story to be disgusting and I am a little surprised that there are some people making excuses for these Marines.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_new...efense-chief-condemns-urinating-marines-video

It's wrong and perhaps some will think this is an excuse but what do you expect? These are guys over here doing three, sometimes four or five tours of duty in one of the worst wars in modern history. I have a client who did several tours there as a medic. He wishes he could have been sent to Iraq instead. Says it's a party over there in comparison.

Now imagine, these guys are fighting day in and day out against a gruesome enemy. One willing to behead people, torture women, use little children as bait. They walk around in a perpetual state of heightened anxiety. Many come home with PTSD and if they don't end up waterboarding their children, burning their wives to death, gunning down a bunch of people or killing themselves, they are sent back, with PTSD, to do yet another tour:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...rs-and-soldiers-waterboarding-their-kids.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...the-armys-terrible-ptsd-treatment-record.html
http://silencedmajority.blogs.com/s...an-in-trouble-for-waterboarding-daughter.html

Peeing on the bodies of the enemy is probably the least of what some do.

We expect these young men to come out of these situations unscathed and to act normally and sanely at all times under such circumstances. I think that's a ridiculous expectation.

Bring em' home. And when they get here, treat them with dignity. Treat their mental and physical health issues with the seriousness they deserve and with the understanding and gratitude for what those boys lost over there and will never recover. :twocents:

I wish they'd just stop reporting this kinds of stories; should be kept in the military & dealt with there . . . Semper Fi

War is hell -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Well, if they didn't video tape the incident (one guy pissing wanted to make sure it was being recorded) and then post it on youtube, we probably wouldn't be hearing much about it.

Sorry. I find it disgusting and very troubling. I understand our soldiers are only human and we can't imagine what they deal with on a day-to-day basis. But I'd sure like to believe American soldiers are above this type of behavior.

Acts of this nature have, in war, taken place since time immemorial. It's shocking, but not unusual. What separates this case from most others is this: they seemingly know their actions are being recorded, and it makes no difference.

Their deed is not the private action of battle-hardened, battle-benumbed, soldiers disrespecting, after the height of raging battle, the enemy dead - an enemy that, quite possibly, has been responsible for the deaths of their fellow soldiers, their buddies.

Rather, this seems to have been recorded as an act of entertainment for an imagined audience back home - this is battle reduced to folly, war reduced to a "Jackass"-like series of harsh, farcical episodes in which disrespect is not merely a tangent of the main action, but, rather, in itself, in its boastful brain-deadening arrogance, the whole message, the whole point of the thing.

And we wonder why we are not loved all over the world. With this sort of thing, as with the incidents at Abu Ghraib, one can well understand why our claims to "helping spread democracy" are not taken seriously.

God help those of our soldiers who in the future will be taken prisoners of war.

Move on over, I'm with you Fairy1. I feel the same way, totally disgusted. I think any/all decent and honorable serviceperson(s) would also agree! JMO~

Move on over, I'm with you Fairy1. I feel the same way, totally disgusted. I think any/all decent and honorable serviceperson(s) would also agree! JMO~

Honorable. Thank you. There is nothing honorable about peeing on dead people, no matter the circumstances.

IMOHO.

War is not honorable. I'd be willing to bet everyone of those guys have picked up pieces of their buddies bodies to collect to send home.

I'm just sorry this was posted. They have been through hell and will never be the same. I am not disgusted by it but truly hope they do not suffer any consequences for it.

Regarding our soldiers if they're captured, as far as I know most of our boys have been chopped to pieces after only God knows what happened to them first.

If those bodies had been alive then maybe I'd be a little concerned... but if after walking beside my best friend then seeing him blown to pieces with parts of his body and blood all over me by these same people I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.

At least they are not cutting the man's head off while he's still alive with a dull sword.

It's wrong and perhaps some will think this is an excuse but what do you expect? These are guys over here doing three, sometimes four or five tours of duty in one of the worst wars in modern history. I have a client who did several tours there as a medic. He wishes he could have been sent to Iraq instead. Says it's a party over there in comparison.

Now imagine, these guys are fighting day in and day out against a gruesome enemy. One willing to behead people, torture women, use little children as bait. They walk around in a perpetual state of heightened anxiety. Many come home with PTSD and if they don't end up waterboarding their children, burning their wives to death, gunning down a bunch of people or killing themselves, they are sent back, with PTSD, to do yet another tour:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...rs-and-soldiers-waterboarding-their-kids.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...the-armys-terrible-ptsd-treatment-record.html
http://silencedmajority.blogs.com/s...an-in-trouble-for-waterboarding-daughter.html

Peeing on the bodies of the enemy is probably the least of what some do.

We expect these young men to come out of these situations unscathed and to act normally and sanely at all times under such circumstances. I think that's a ridiculous expectation.

Bring em' home. And when they get here, treat them with dignity. Treat their mental and physical health issues with the seriousness they deserve and with the understanding and gratitude for what those boys lost over there and will never recover. :twocents:

My son was in Afghanistan, bombs were lobbed almost nightly into their compound, yet he and his fellows would NEVER have considered doing such a disgusting, degrading act. In fact, he was very proud when he and others in his unit were able to save the lives of some avalanche victims.

There is NO excuse as far as I'm concerned. IMO we do NOT belong in that country.

I agree it's a dumb childish action but it seems a little weird to me that we are OK with killing people in war but peeing on them after they're dead is some act of horror.

Incidents like this (which as wfgodot stated, are shocking, but not unusual in war) are why I am always reminded of one of the late Pope John Paul II's addresses in the time during our rush to war with Iraq, in which he stated that "war is always a defeat for humanity".

No matter the cause, this is the toll that war exacts on soldiers on both sides. It brings a person down to the lowest levels of brutality, to the point where so much of a person's humanity is lost that they think nothing of desecrating another human body, and and proudly displaying that act for all the world to see. :(

So...this saddens me terribly....but I'm not surprised at all. :sigh:

As the daughter of a Navy Chaplain who served with the Marines in Viet Nam (and as a social worker whose client population has included a number of veterans), I find the practice totally inexcusable and reprehensible. This is just plain wrong. It is an insult to every honorable and upstanding Marine who would never dream of doing such.

As to keeping this within the military and out of the public eye: This is the United States of America, and we continue to remain free in large part because our military is accountable to its citizens! I know of a number of "military incidents" that have been kept secret...and a number of the military personnel who have been ordered to keep their knowledge of these incidents quiet have been pushed into the offices of counselors and psychiatrists because of it.

Hmm. Kgeaux is not shocked or disgusted. There is a war going on, those Afghanies were probably shooting at these Marines trying to kill them just moments before!

I'm not saying it is wonderful to pee on your enemies after you kill them, but I don't think it is shocking at all. I mean they already KILLED the guys! War ain't pretty.

So long as we condone and make excuses for this type of behavior, this type of behavior will continue.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back