No Longer Caylee’s Law, Punishment for Lying Parents on the Move

Reader

Reaction score
http://www.wctv.tv/floridanews/head..._for_Lying_Parents_on_the_Move_137218308.html

Tallahassee, FL -- January 12, 2012 --

Giving false information to police about a missing child could soon land someone behind bars for a long time. Legislation heard by House and Senate Committees today in Tallahassee makes it a felony with a possible five years in prison to mislead police, but the sentences could be a whole lot longer.

Casey Anthony was sentenced on four counts of lying about her missing and dead daughter. She served just under three years. but under proposed legislation sponsored by State Senator Joe Negron, Anthony could have been sentenced to 5 years on each count for a total of 20 years.
------

The legislation received unanimous approval in House and Senate committees on Thursday. Police say the tougher penalties are just one more bit of leverage to use to get someone to tell the truth.

More at link...

I was no happier with the Anthony verdict than anyone else. But locking up people for decades because they lie under pressure strikes me as the sign of an abusive state.

Yes, people should tell the truth, to LE and to others. But human beings don't always do so. Piling on the criminal penalties and adding decades to prison sentences is Big Brother run amok.

Quote: "Police say the tougher penalties are just one more bit of leverage to use to get someone to tell the truth."

I'm sure, as always, this method works with criminals. The tougher the penalties, the more likely the person who stole/killed a child will tell the truth.... This is true because they are outstanding people and citizens!!

Good law but doubtful will produce any results.

Goz

I think they should keep the name as Caylee's Law.

Murderers can go free, but 20 years for lying...come on! Sounds like LE making another example out of lesser crimes.

Not sure how it would work? How will they know if the person is lying? Will they have to go to trial first and only if they're acquitted (as in CA case) then they get charged for lying to LE? If they're convicted will these charges be added on to their sentence?

:waitasec:

Not sure how it would work? How will they know if the person is lying? Will they have to go to trial first and only if they're acquitted (as in CA case) then they get charged for lying to LE? If they're convicted will these charges be added on to their sentence?

The lie will have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, just like any crime. But it doesn't seem to be too hard to convince juries.

Some may recall that when the Feds couldn't prove that Martha Stewart engaged in insider trading, they convicted her for lying to an investigator.

Such laws are not just leverage during interrogations. They are a way for LE to get a "second bite of the apple" when they can't win on the underlying charge.

CA was convicted of lying to LE by that same jury that declared her not guilty of murder, so if that law was in effect she could have been looking at however many years the law will allow.

I was no happier with the Anthony verdict than anyone else. But locking up people for decades because they lie under pressure strikes me as the sign of an abusive state.

Yes, people should tell the truth, to LE and to others. But human beings don't always do so. Piling on the criminal penalties and adding decades to prison sentences is Big Brother run amok.

I really really wish I could agree with you, and in my kinder, more gentle past, I'm sure I would have.

But while a parent of a missing child is willfully and knowingly lying, a child could be dying. I have to weigh on the side of the child's right to life over the parent's right to lie.

I think it's appropriate-- in a way, it's more like a theft or extortion, imo. When a lie brings down the full response of LE and all its investigative arms, then absolutely the liar should be punished when it's been proven to be a lie. Of course, the statute of limitation would have to be very long (or completely lacking, as with straight perjury). moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back