UK - Fergie faces 22 years in Turkish prison for orphanage film fiasco

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Unlikely to happen but oddly pleasant to contemplate:

Fergie faces 22 years in Turkish prison over secret film of children abandoned in orphanage (Daily Mail)

• They say she 'violated' children's privacy
• She was told by Home Office the case was closed
The Duchess of York faces 22 years in jail after a Turkish court pressed charges against her for secretly filming in an orphanage.

The charges relate to an undercover documentary Sarah Ferguson made with ITV in 2008 to expose 'appalling' conditions in state run institutions.
---
Yesterday a court accused Prince Andrew's former wife in absentia of 'going against the law in acquiring footage and violating privacy' of five children.
---
And what's the spin from Team Fergie?
A spokesman for the Duchess said: ‘The Duchess of York has fully co-operated with both the Turkish and British authorities at all times on this issue.

'Anywhere else it would be the authorities running these homes who were in the dock,' a source close to the Duchess said.

'It was a humanitarian mission, there was no political aspect to it whatsoever. The Turkish Government has no jurisdiction here and the British Government has made clear that she cannot be extradited.'
---
more, with plenty of pictures, at link above;
much ado about nothing - unless, of course, the
Duchess blunders her way across a Turkish border....

It seems she was trying to do the right thing.
I say "yeah" for her having a big heart for these children in a horrid situation.
The picture of the girl chained up is... ugh, breaks my heart!!!

It seems she was trying to do the right thing.
I say "yeah" for her having a big heart for these children in a horrid situation.
The picture of the girl chained up is... ugh, breaks my heart!!!

I, too, believe she was trying to do the right thing - and possibly uncovering their secrets caused this.

You know, I'll admit, I really liked Fergie. She was the one to stand up to the royal family and didn't take much off of them. Her days with Diana were a hoot.

I only stopped liking her after the bribery stunt she pulled using Andrew -- low blow if you ask me. If anything, she should have spent some time in jail for that!

MOO

Mel

Agreeing with all of the above, she in fact is probably trying to do the right thing - but my problem with the Duchess, regarding the matter at hand, is this: why is she filming (legally or not) in Turkey, when surely Britain could provide its own problems to which she might draw attention - problems of this very nature?

Instead, she Euro-barrels her attention-seeking, globe-trotting, way to another country and, apparently, breaks its laws - a complete outsider to whatever specific problems might exist in Ankara. (Full disclosure: two things I can't abide: royalty, and missionaries.)

This sort of thing seems all too typical of the Duchess of York: "I am the star; let nothing stand between myself and the camera."

LOL, The turkish gov. by charging Fergi just put a big spotlight on the Children and deplorable conditions. I would have never known about it if they didn't charger her and it hit the press.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back