CA - S.F. Sheriff sworn in despite domestic abuse charges

Columbo

Reaction score
Ross Mirkarimi was sworn in as San Francisco's sheriff in spite of the fact that he was involved in a domestic abuse incident-- a fight between him and his wife on New Year's Eve. It must have been bad if the police were called.

I just saw him and his wife on t.v., and she denies that he abuses her. What do you want to bet he has threatened her, either overtly or subtly, into saying she isn't abused? She appears to speak English as a second language.

http://www.policeone.com/chiefs-she...riff-sworn-in-amid-domestic-violence-inquiry/

Interesting - there is a video tape and emails to back up the allegations. So so sad that an abuser might be sheriff. I hope the DA follows up. San Francisco deserves better and so does this wife and child. :(

Salem

This guy has a propensity toward domestic violence. If it happened once, it will happen again. His wife had a bruise on her arm after the 'fight'. The evidence is there, and the police were called. The people of San Francisco should do whatever it takes to get this guy out of office, IMO.

This guy is a former city manager, not career LE. I will never understand why it is not required for a candidate for sheriff to have an LE background.

Domestic violence is against the law. Apparently this man has already broken the law, but is now the Sheriff? What a sad day, and what an insult to the deputies who are honest and hardworking! There is good LE and bad LE, and this one is bad right out of the box! This infuriates me.

We will hear more about this one, I'm sure.

MOO

I think this situation is ridiculous. The judge refused to swear him in, so how is he still the sheriff? Why was he not immediately removed from the position?

I also agree that the sheriff should be required to have an LE background. It just boggles my mind that it isn't a requirement.

From what I understand, he was elected. He hasn't been convicted yet. Maybe they can remove him after it goes to court? I don't know.
The wife is standing by him, but she obviously felt differently when she showed the neighbor he bruise.

From what I understand, he was elected. He hasn't been convicted yet. Maybe they can remove him after it goes to court? I don't know.
The wife is standing by him, but she obviously felt differently when she showed the neighbor he bruise.

She's probably standing by him because she is afraid. He may be going through a "nice" phase, where he has her fooled that he won't do it again; he's "reformed" (yeah, right). Also, he may have convinced her that this promotion will mean a bigger salary and better lifestyle. I'm sure she doesn't care and just wants to get away from him, but she feels helpless and trapped.

another 'What the He!!l" (love Tricia)
Our system is going haywire from the small towns up..............WTH?

In some states if there is a charge, the charged person is no longer allowed to own or carry a firearm. Does anyone know if this is the case here? Were his firearms removed? Was he charged with a middemeanor or a felony? If a felony and if he is convicted, he may not get much time. But his right to own/carry a weapon is withdrawn isn't it? That would make it hard to justify him as sheriff, even though the actual position is mostly administrative in most places.

Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi was supposed to appear in court today, but his attorney is now telling reporters he will be arraigned Thursday on domestic violence charges

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2012/01/ross_mirkarimi_arraignment.php

Oh and they are misdemeanors, but there is more than DV. There is also child endangerment and attempting to dissuade a witness. Evidently there is a temporary restraining order in place.

Mirkarimi's wife, Eliana Lopez, a former soap opera star in Venezuela, actually denounced domestic violence in tweets, days before the incident with her husband.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2012/01/tweets-mirkarimis-wife-add-intrigue-domestic-violence-case

I believe I heard on tv his arraignment is today.

here's a YouTube video: New S.F. sheriff faces domestic violence charges - YouTube

According to the article she was holding hands with him when he walked into the jail. And prosecutors are saying this may not be the only incident of abuse.

According to the article she was holding hands with him when he walked into the jail. And prosecutors are saying this may not be the only incident of abuse.

bolded by me.

That's right--it was on tv this morning....his wife even told the neighbor about the abuse: "According to the arrest warrant, Lopez told her neighbor that she was abused, 'two times in 2011 and this is the second time this has happened, I told Ross I want to work on the marriage, and we need help.' "

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=8508638

Now a third woman has accused Mirkarimi of physically abusing her during a relationship. Somehow I missed the second one--will try to locate that. Of course he is denying it; the relationship "ended badly" (gee, wonder why?) so he'll probably use the "she's a scorned woman getting revenge" defense. What a neanderthal.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/third-woman-expected-level-charges-abuse-against-m/nHGRH/

ETA: here's a video that shows the second girlfriend. It's annoying to me that the mayor calls Mirkarimi's behavior a "distraction". Beating on women is a "distraction"? Only in politics, I guess. Grrrrrrrrrr..RM is out of shape, too--he can't outrun the camera men! He's sweating and panting when they finally catch up with him.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/

In some states if there is a charge, the charged person is no longer allowed to own or carry a firearm. Does anyone know if this is the case here? Were his firearms removed? Was he charged with a middemeanor or a felony? If a felony and if he is convicted, he may not get much time. But his right to own/carry a weapon is withdrawn isn't it? That would make it hard to justify him as sheriff, even though the actual position is mostly administrative in most places.

Good point, mysteriew. I'll try to look into this. If he is convicted of a felony he would not be able to own or carry a weapon. So how could he be a sheriff then? Even if the position is administrative!

I find it completely absurd that this man still has a job in LE. This disturbs me greatly.

great!! just what we need. yet another narcistic wafflehead that thinks he's above the law. oh yeah that's right...he IS the law!! (shakes head in disbelief)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back