Is it legal to use a victim's name for a fundraising cause?

I don't know about the legalities but I would recommend asking the family or their representative for permission anyway. It could cause them some anguish if they read the news and are surprised by a fundraiser in their dead relative's name. They might wonder if the victim is being taken advantage of in a scam, etc.

Thank you. I've been trying to get in touch with the family, but it's slow going. I'll keep trying!

http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/using-name-or-likeness-another

You probably need to contact an attorney. For yourself and then if you are given permission by the victim's family and IMHO you want that in writing so probably a contractual agreement to protect yourself.

This also might be covered under the Privacy laws and invasion of privacy laws.

I think thats really gonna depend on where you live I would suggest speaking to a lawyer to find out your state and provincal laws .My other thought is the use of the funds and where it goes .I don't think it would be to good to hold a fund raiser for say some high profile local murder case and then keep the money for yourself and the rent I don't think that will go over to well. But then again I don't know for sure but I don't think you need permission to write a book about a specific case as long as it was from your view point and thoughts .If someone was say quoted then thier may be trouble .Bottem line I am only giving out oppinions Only no facts here best thing to do would be to ask an attourney..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back