Long Island Victims with connections to rehab

truthspider

Reaction score
I am starting this thread as a place to compile articles on possible victims of the LISK, specifically the angle that many of these victims have a recent prior arrest for prostitution and or a connection to drug rehabilitation.

Did Gilgo victims let their guards down?

June 11, 2011 by MICHAEL AMON / michael.amon@newsday.com
A Gilgo Beach sign along the westbound side

In a life controlled by heroin addiction and prostitution, Amber Costello stuck by a rule of self-preservation, her boyfriend and a roommate said: Don't get into a john's car.

On Sept. 2, Costello abandoned that precaution and left her West Babylon home in a client's vehicle, they said. She took nothing with her -- no cellphone or purse -- and told no one where she was going.

Three months later, Costello's remains were found 18 miles away, wrapped in burlap and hidden in the thick brush off Ocean Parkway near Gilgo Beach. Nearby were remains of three other women who worked as prostitutes -- Maureen Brainard-Barnes, 25, Melissa Barthelemy, 24, and Megan Waterman, 22. Their deaths are likely the work of a serial killer or killers, Suffolk authorities said.

<modsnip>

More at the link

http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking/did-gilgo-victims-let-their-guards-down-1.2950472

Regarding treatment centers I do have a comment I can't resist making.

Treatment centers are a great place for predatory males to troll for women to exploit. I know. I went through 3 treatment centers before I got it right and started learning how to live sober. I now have 22 years of sobriety. Women in treatment are very needy and vulnerable. Homeless men get themselves admitted to these programs with the sole purpose of finding a woman to sweet talk into taking them home. Most treatment centers have daily AA meetings that allow anyone from outside to attend if they claim they are an addict or alcoholic. Like prostitutes and johns, people in treatment or going to AA meetings can be as anonymous as they want to be. Treatment centers are not allowed to tell anyone they are there, including family. We have two people of interest in this case with direct connections to treatment centers. That may or may not be important.

Wouldn't it be easier to read up on this case than force anyone making a comment to spend a lot of time looking up links to every comment they make. I know I have almost quit posting because it is so time consuming and we have basically gone over everything we know about this case many times. We mostly only have newer people left now.

Treatment centers are a great place for predatory males to troll for women to exploit. I know. I went through 3 treatment centers before I got it right and started learning how to live sober. I now have 22 years of sobriety. Women in treatment are very needy and vulnerable. Homeless men get themselves admitted to these programs with the sole purpose of finding a woman to sweet talk into taking them home. Most treatment centers have daily AA meetings that allow anyone from outside to attend if they claim they are an addict or alcoholic. Like prostitutes and johns, people in treatment or going to AA meetings can be as anonymous as they want to be. Treatment centers are not allowed to tell anyone they are there, including family. We have two people of interest in this case with direct connections to treatment centers. That may or may not be important.

I was veryclose friends with a multidrug addict (heroin mainly, but also crack and meth) for a decade. He seemed to make more connections in rehab/AA/NA/jail/prison than he ever did on the street. Definitely a true statement and, to me, not at all controversial.

Newsday (Melville, NY)
March 20, 1996

Edition: NASSAU
Section: NEWS
Page: A27

Topics:
Index Terms:
MURDER.VICTIM.SEX CRIMES.EAST PATCHOGUE.FAMILY.COLLEEN MCNAMEE.REWARD.RITA TANGREDI BEINLICH.PROSTITUTION.POLICE.CHARLOTTE MACNAMEE.LAWRENCE MCNAMEE.
Parents Offer Reward For Capture of Killer
Author: Stuart Vincent. STAFF WRITER
Article Text:Arrested for prostitution, diagnosed as a manic-depressive, addicted to drugs, Colleen McNamee, her mother believed, had turned a corner in her young life. She left the house on the morning of Jan. 5, 1994, en route to a drug rehabilitation program. That is Charlotte McNamee's final memory of her daughter. "On her last day, her life was in order, she was happy. She was dressed so beautifully," said her mother. "I never dreamed I would never see her again." On Jan. 30, Colleen McNamee's nude body was found in a wooded area of North Shirley just off the Long Island Expressway. She had been strangled, sexually assaulted and fatally struck in the head, police said. Yesterday, frustrated that their daughter's murder remains unsolved, the McNamees offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and indictment of Colleen's killer. In addition, the Suffolk Police Department's Crime Stoppers program offered up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and indictment of McNamee's killer and those who murdered another woman whose body was found in similar shape about three months before McNamee's death. Police have long believed that the deaths of McNamee, 20, and Rita Tangredi Beinlich, 31, of East Patchogue, are linked. Both were known in the East Patchogue area, both had been arrested for prostitution a few months before their deaths, both were strangled, and both of their nude bodies were found in wooded areas. Beinlich's body was found in East Patchogue. "We know for a fact that both the Colleen McNamee case and the Rita Tangredi [Beinlich] case are linked," said Homicide Det. Sgt. Kevin Cronin, who declined to elaborate. Cronin said the murder of a third white woman, who was about five feet tall and weighed around 125 pounds, may also be connected, but police don't have the conclusive evidence that ties her death to the other two murders. The strangled, nude, body of Sandra Costilla, 28, whose last known address was in Queens, was found in November, 1993, in a wooded area in North Sea. Police and the McNamees, who announced their reward offers at Suffolk Police headquarters in Yaphank, said Colleen McNamee left from her drug-treatment program at the South Shore Treatment Center in Islandia with another outpatient at about 10 a.m. on the day she disappeared. She was last seen getting into a small blue car in front of the Blue Dawn Diner in Islandia. The car drove east on Veteran's Memorial Highway. The couple said their daughter, who had been in and out of drug-treatment programs, had held several jobs after graduating Sachem High School in 1991, the most recent of which was in a local sub shop. Police are asking anyone with information on the murders to call 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential. Caption:
1) Newsday Photo by John H. Cornell Jr.-Charlotte and Lawrence
Copyright (c) 1996 Newsday, Inc.
Record Number: 973308006

Hey, my big sister went to school with Colleen, along with about 15 other friends of my sisters that I know............

Apparently the girl fell of the wagon after high school... I'll gather more info if you would like!

Newsday (Melville, NY)
March 20, 1996

Edition: NASSAU
Section: NEWS
Page: A27

Topics:
Index Terms:
MURDER.VICTIM.SEX CRIMES.EAST PATCHOGUE.FAMILY.COLLEEN MCNAMEE.REWARD.RITA TANGREDI BEINLICH.PROSTITUTION.POLICE.CHARLOTTE MACNAMEE.LAWRENCE MCNAMEE.
Parents Offer Reward For Capture of Killer
Author: Stuart Vincent. STAFF WRITER
Article Text:Arrested for prostitution, diagnosed as a manic-depressive, addicted to drugs, Colleen McNamee, her mother believed, had turned a corner in her young life. She left the house on the morning of Jan. 5, 1994, en route to a drug rehabilitation program. That is Charlotte McNamee's final memory of her daughter. "On her last day, her life was in order, she was happy. She was dressed so beautifully," said her mother. "I never dreamed I would never see her again." On Jan. 30, Colleen McNamee's nude body was found in a wooded area of North Shirley just off the Long Island Expressway. She had been strangled, sexually assaulted and fatally struck in the head, police said. Yesterday, frustrated that their daughter's murder remains unsolved, the McNamees offered a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and indictment of Colleen's killer. In addition, the Suffolk Police Department's Crime Stoppers program offered up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest and indictment of McNamee's killer and those who murdered another woman whose body was found in similar shape about three months before McNamee's death. Police have long believed that the deaths of McNamee, 20, and Rita Tangredi Beinlich, 31, of East Patchogue, are linked. Both were known in the East Patchogue area, both had been arrested for prostitution a few months before their deaths, both were strangled, and both of their nude bodies were found in wooded areas. Beinlich's body was found in East Patchogue. "We know for a fact that both the Colleen McNamee case and the Rita Tangredi [Beinlich] case are linked," said Homicide Det. Sgt. Kevin Cronin, who declined to elaborate. Cronin said the murder of a third white woman, who was about five feet tall and weighed around 125 pounds, may also be connected, but police don't have the conclusive evidence that ties her death to the other two murders. The strangled, nude, body of Sandra Costilla, 28, whose last known address was in Queens, was found in November, 1993, in a wooded area in North Sea. Police and the McNamees, who announced their reward offers at Suffolk Police headquarters in Yaphank, said Colleen McNamee left from her drug-treatment program at the South Shore Treatment Center in Islandia with another outpatient at about 10 a.m. on the day she disappeared. She was last seen getting into a small blue car in front of the Blue Dawn Diner in Islandia. The car drove east on Veteran's Memorial Highway. The couple said their daughter, who had been in and out of drug-treatment programs, had held several jobs after graduating Sachem High School in 1991, the most recent of which was in a local sub shop. Police are asking anyone with information on the murders to call 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential. Caption:
1) Newsday Photo by John H. Cornell Jr.-Charlotte and Lawrence
Copyright (c) 1996 Newsday, Inc.
Record Number: 973308006

Could this be the colleen marie from the facebook comments? :eye:

about that colleen marie fake fb profile that was taken down...

Colleen McNamee disappeared after being treated at South Shore Treatment Center in Islandia. Google Colleen McNamee Rita Tangredi and James D. Gunning. Gunning is an allegedly serial killer from Pennsylvania who was investigated in the murder of 10 girls including Colleen and Rita.

The fake fb profiles of victims who posted on the Anne Marie Fahey pages included a post by a "Colleen Marie" of a poem called "God Did Promise" by Anne Weems. Google her she writes devotional poems. From what it appears she had a son Todd who was murdered in 1980 in St Louis by Eric Clemmons. There was some commotion later on when Clemmons recieved the death penalty for murdering a fellow prisoner but other convicts witness claimed it was a wrongful conviction.
This leads to me to believe whoever made all the fake profiles is either A. Someone familiar with prosecution and specifically wrongful conviction cases, or B. Someone involved in ministry and possibly outreach.

What happened to south shore treatment center? I'd find out who was working there and if there were any ministers who did outreach there. that poem is really disturbing when put into that context.

This is an excellent topic.

Possibly the LISK met the girls in rehab, developed relationship and trust, then....well we know.

This thought has occurred to me before but it seems fairly obscure so I haven't thrown it out there before. Could the LISK have posed as a client and/or addiction counselor offering to sponsor them and help them get into treatment. He could have offered them extra money to tide them over until he could get them into treatment. That could explain them trusting him. Can't think of a reason he would have requested no cell phone though. Maybe he could have said he couldn't let the treatment place know he was a client or something. May be somebody can make something of this half-baked idea.

Well done, sir. Keep up the good work!

As for the girls meeting the perpetrator in rehab, it's unlikely at best I think. It's a good thought, however. I'm sticking to the notion he used the internet (though maybe not exclusively, IE Jessica Taylor) to meet these women, built up a certain level of trust with them over a period of a few months, then one day decided it was time to kill them. I don't think it's much more complex than that. Though from everything Dave Schaller and Kim Overstreet have said, the night Amber went missing was the first night she had had contact with that particular client. So who knows? I also believe that the killer himself contacted LE and made them aware of where to find the GB4. Serial Killers calling law enforcement and taunting them or providing them with bits of info or tips is nothing new. But that's neither here nor there pertaining to this subject.

Well done, sir. Keep up the good work!

As for the girls meeting the perpetrator in rehab, it's unlikely at best I think. It's a good thought, however. I'm sticking to the notion he used the internet (though maybe not exclusively, IE Jessica Taylor) to meet these women, built up a certain level of trust with them over a period of a few months, then one day decided it was time to kill them. I don't think it's much more complex than that. Though from everything Dave Schaller and Kim Overstreet have said, the night Amber went missing was the first night she had had contact with that particular client. So who knows? I also believe that the killer himself contacted LE and made them aware of where to find the GB4. Serial Killers calling law enforcement and taunting them or providing them with bits of info or tips is nothing new. But that's neither here nor there pertaining to this subject.

BBM

Not exactly true. This same client had tried to get Amber to meet him at the Express Holiday Inn in Happauge (where Megan went missing). Amber refused. But he HAD had contact with Amber prior to her disappearance.

My gut feeling is that our guy enjoys the hunt almost as much as the actual murder of these women. I think he spends a certain amount of time "courting" them before he decides to lower the boom. It's part of the game for him, imo.

Whether it is related or not, remember also that DS said that Amber had once been roughed up and left by the side of one of the Highways. IIRC, that event occurred sometime in the three months before she was ultimately abducted and murdered.

Would be interesting to see how closely that episode coincides with that of the LIerotica "bat" incident and the comment by Morrie. Did the members "friend" catch up with her and deliver a message?.

BBM

Not exactly true. This same client had tried to get Amber to meet him at the Express Holiday Inn in Happauge (where Megan went missing). Amber refused. But he HAD had contact with Amber prior to her disappearance.

My gut feeling is that our guy enjoys the hunt almost as much as the actual murder of these women. I think he spends a certain amount of time "courting" them before he decides to lower the boom. It's part of the game for him, imo.

Definitely agree with the thrill of the hunt bit. I think you're spot on there. I've never heard that there was definitive evidence that it was the same guy that tried to get Amber to meet him at the Holiday Inn in Happauge. Got a link by chance? Why did she suddenly change her mind about meeting up and leave without her bag or her cell? Weird.

Definitely agree with the thrill of the hunt bit. I think you're spot on there. I've never heard that there was definitive evidence that it was the same guy that tried to get Amber to meet him at the Holiday Inn in Happauge. Got a link by chance? Why did she suddenly change her mind about meeting up and leave without her bag or her cell? Weird.

It is especially curious that she got in someones car who she didnt know prior to that day, without her phone, shortly after being abducted and roughed up. It really seems to me that if she was recently harmed her guard should have been way up. The perp has a sure fire way to get the girls to let their guard down....

It is especially curious that she got in someones car who she didnt know prior to that day, without her phone, shortly after being abducted and roughed up. It really seems to me that if she was recently harmed her guard should have been way up. The perp has a sure fire way to get the girls to let their guard down....

Exactly. It's quite odd. The one time he got his hands on a girls cell, that we know of, he made taunting calls to the victims family. Assuming, of course, you believe it was actually the killer that made those calls. I think it was him. But we can't rely on it. The fact the family says he knew certain things only someone that had intimate knowledge of Melissa would know is good enough for me. Maybe he uses something as "I'm married and I can't risk a divorce, don't bring your cell because it has a camera." Maybe we're going overboard with the theories of large amounts of money or drugs being offered. Plus, if he has built up trust with these girls over an extended period of time he has some leeway there, too. Also, never underestimate the power of simply being a nice, down to earth guy. I'm sure in their line of work the girls met plenty of creeps and weirdos. Someone they trusted and felt respected them as people might be given different treatment.

Hmmm, I see your point. Don't know that I haven't made a big assumption there. I'll have to back up and see if I can nail this down. Thanks.

One interesting comment from DS regarding Amber's last client:

"It's unclear why, but something made her trust him," recalled Schaller, who said his cellphone was used for the conversation and that he overheard parts of it. "It was like she knew him."

Whether it is related or not, remember also that DS said that Amber had once been roughed up and left by the side of one of the Highways. IIRC, that event occurred sometime in the three months before she was ultimately abducted and murdered.

Would be interesting to see how closely that episode coincides with that of the LIerotica "bat" incident and the comment by Morrie. Did the members "friend" catch up with her and deliver a message?.

If anyone has a link that can back up thise two statements I'll be gratefull:

Just K wrote:
"DS said that Amber had once been roughed up and left by the side of one of the Highways. IIRC, that event occurred sometime in the three months before she was ultimately abducted and murdered."

Mountain_Kat wrote:
"This same client had tried to get Amber to meet him at the Express Holiday Inn in Happauge (where Megan went missing). Amber refused. But he HAD had contact with Amber prior to her disappearance."
("This same client" alleged beeing the one she left with Sep 2, 2010, when she disappeared )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back