Is your pet is safe from coyotes?

Dark Knight

Reaction score
It's best to keep pets indoors, or at least keep an eye on them when they go outside. We knew this. We also knew that, in addition to cars and diseases and poisonous plants, our cats and dogs might have to contend with wildlife like coyotes.

• "Every city" has a coyote issue, according to Dr. Stan Gehrt of OSU's School of Environment and Natural Resources. Gehrt has studied coyotes for years, and also noted that the OSU campus has coyotes in residence as well as "passing through."
  • This time of year -- January through the end of February -- is peak mating season for the coyote, and the resulting hormonal increases "could lead to attacks on pets."
Much more at link:

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/think-your-pet-is-safe-from-coyotes-.html

I used to live way out in the country, and lost a lot of cats to coyotes.

My pet is safe, as he stays inside...
My family has only had one pet, in all of our decades, who went outside, and he was killed by a car. Never again...JMO

I live in the Florida Panhandle in historic neighborhood with no woods around us, and we're within a 5 minute walking distance to very busy downtown area. Both hubby and I have seen coyotes walking down the middle of our street at night! We have two cats - one that is an indoor cat at all times and one who is a stray that we took in. We have tried everything to make the stray kitty stay indoors, but he just won't have it. He was not a kitten when we took him in and only God knows what his life was like before I took him in. He's somewhat domesticated and sleeps indoors at night, but by day he is out and about - otherwise he will literally tear the house up (and pee and poop everywhere - as he refuses to use the litter box). Anyway, I bring him in every night to sleep, but I worry about him during the day.

I feed two strays and I worry about them. But CK (short for Christmas Kitty--showed up Christmas 2008) is NOT an inside cat. She barely tolerates us. It was a year before she'd let us touch her, and she still doesn't like being petted. Sylvester is clearly someone's housecat that they let out on warmer days. He is very well taken care of other than that. I don't have the heart to bring him inside and deny someone their baby. :(
Our Pandora is an inside-only cat, who is loved and worshipped as all cats should be. The vets said she'd only live to be two, but she's pushing eleven now. :)

It's best to keep pets indoors, or at least keep an eye on them when they go outside. We knew this. We also knew that, in addition to cars and diseases and poisonous plants, our cats and dogs might have to contend with wildlife like coyotes.

• "Every city" has a coyote issue, according to Dr. Stan Gehrt of OSU's School of Environment and Natural Resources. Gehrt has studied coyotes for years, and also noted that the OSU campus has coyotes in residence as well as "passing through."
  • This time of year -- January through the end of February -- is peak mating season for the coyote, and the resulting hormonal increases "could lead to attacks on pets."
Much more at link:

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/think-your-pet-is-safe-from-coyotes-.html

I have security cameras which record 24 hours a day for a week at a time. I enjoy watching the nocturnal wild life. Once I noticed the coyotes, over a period of a few months all of the cats and rabbits disappeared.

Russell

We not only have coyotes here in the desert, we have hawks, raccoons the size of large dogs and mountain lions in the mountains around the town. There's no way my cat goes outside except on rare occasions to the vet and secure in a carrying case.

We let our cat out only during the daytime. The coyotes own this neighborhood at night.

I've seen a large owl take a half grown cat before... it belonged to the neighbors. Our pets never go outside except to pee and go for walks and i always catch any pets i do see outside and take them to the shelter.

We let our cat out only during the daytime. The coyotes own this neighborhood at night.

I'm too nervous to let my cat out even during the day. But then he's never been allowed out and doesn't know to miss it.

But in my town at night, the coyotes use the dry washes as if they were freeways, allowing them access to anywhere in town within minutes. We hear them howling in the river bed all night.

I think I have seen recently a coyote in my yard at night. I live somewhat in the country although subdivisions are being built all around. My ex BF swears its a cat but I have seen the way he walks it's no regular cat.
We have hawks all around and I want let my 2-yorkies out without me hoovering right over them. They stay inside or on the screen in front porch when I am home with access to come in. Ever try to run after a yorkie? I never let them out past 5ish (feeding time for hawks). I seen just 2-nights ago a huge owl in my front yard getting his supper. I hear them sometimes in the day.
Nope my two are definitely owl,hawk and coyota food.

I live at the edge of town and have no fenced yard, so when Bobbles performs his nighttime tasks, I follow his path around the yard from my porch with my flashlight, just in case.

Yep, they're everwhar, as a good friend of mine would say.

I once saw a coyote run through an apartment complex and across a very busy highway in Memphis. The look of terror on his face! The rapid construction of the east Memphis area had pushed him from one habitat to another until there just weren't any safe havens left. It's probably the only time in my life that I've felt sorry for a coyote!

A dear friend of mine had a Pom that looked a lot like mine. The friend lived in the country and thought nothing of letting the pup out by himself. Sadly, the coyotes got him. (I've been backed down a dirt road and up a tree by a pack of 'em myself).

Hungry coyotes traveling in packs are certainly nothing to ignore. I've never seen one in town up here, but I'd not go walking at night without a big stick, just in case.

I'm too nervous to let my cat out even during the day. But then he's never been allowed out and doesn't know to miss it.

But in my town at night, the coyotes use the dry washes as if they were freeways, allowing them access to anywhere in town within minutes. We hear them howling in the river bed all night.

When I lived in the country, by the Canadian border, we could hear the coyotes howling beneath the stone cliffs behind our farm, then yipping, gathering the pack for a hunt. In February, when the temperature hit 30 below zero the sound echoed off the cliffs, hanging crisp in the cold air - it was enough to make your blood run cold.

I enjoy listening to the chatter and howling of the coyotes near our home. I think they are beautiful and they are just trying to survive as well. I dont let my little dog outside unless she is on a leash. We keep a donkey to protect out liverstock from coyotes, but if notice one acting like he is particuarly interested in the calves, then we are forced to shoot. Its roughy 1 every 2 calving seasons that acts like he or she wants a little calf snack. I hate to kill any animal, but I need to protect my stock when natural methods arent deterring them. Coyotes run in town all night, and you can hear them chattering and howling and all together whooping it up. There are so many stray cats here Im sure that is what draws the coyotes close to town. Most farmers in our area wont hesitate to shoot, and a cat is a much less risky meal than a calf.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back