GUILTY IN - Troy Schnitz for child abuse, Huntington, 2011

Gingy

Reaction score
I hope I am doing this right (my first thread started - and so sad to be posting this).

I had to stop reading this article before I could finish it. I have no words other than to say a prayer for this poor little boy and hope that he receives the justice he deserves.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/crime/ind-dad-admits-repeatedly-beating-baby

A Huntington man appeared in court Monday, for allegedly physically abusing his four-month-old son to the point it caused blindness, severe brain damage, seizures and the need to be put on life support in October of 2011.

OMG! He is out on bond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Horrible, isn't it? He admitted to doing this to his son and is out!

Apparently someone put up the $10K for him. The prosecutor said that he should then have to pay for his lawyer if he can afford that, but the judge assigned him a public defender too.

Got to help the defendant. The heck with the victim. Gag me.

I have been unable to find an update on this case, but did find 2 things.

1. The mom was 17 when she gave birth and is expecting baby #2.
2. The baby's name is Kaiden. I found the mom's MySpace page with photos of this beautiful child. I don't know if I can post it, but search Kaiden Schnitz and it will come up.

Troy Schnitz "father".

Supposeldy under the influence of synthetic weed which caused him to lose control and beat not only an infant into blindness, but his own infant.

They have a FB story here about it. I didn't read all the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ban-K2-in-the-US/153074264707106

Bless baby Kaiden. Unimagineable.

Special thanks Gingy ya did good posting your first thread starter. So sad though.

Why wasn't the mother charged? She didn't know this was happening to her son? She's pregnant again? He slammed the bottle in the baby's mouthed and then blinded him and she didn't know???? The article also says the baby was taken to the hospital at one point, why didn't the hospital question this child's condition??

Even if this angel lives, there's severe brain damage. I wonder how much the bond for murder will be? Ridiculous Judges.

The article also says the baby was taken to the hospital at one point, why didn't the hospital question this child's condition??.

There seems to be a lot of that going around - no questioning of a child's condition. It makes me wonder what's the point of mandated reporters if they aren't reporting or questioning what the heck is going on. And, why wasn't the mom charged - no clue. There is very little in the media on this case.

Even if this angel lives, there's severe brain damage. I wonder how much the bond for murder will be? Ridiculous Judges.

I know. :( It breaks my heart. Can they change the bond with him being out? (IDK the 'ins and outs' of this - that's why I'm asking).

I also saw a "Free Troy Schnitz" page on FB (yes, really). Seems that his brother and sister are advocating for him. That he's really great with kids/a great dad and it was the synthetic drug that 'made' him do this. That the media has it all wrong. :maddening:

*If* (and that's a big IF) that is in fact the case - that he "was" a great dad - WTH makes him 'seek' out his infant son and do this when he's high? I.just.don't.get.it.

Mandated reporters have been failing left and right. They need to start charging them for not reporting. That's why it's a freaking LAW!

Update from the public record (court info - link up thread). Schnitz has hired an attorney. No more public defender.

03/12/2012 Hearing Journal Entry (Judicial Officer: Hakes, Thomas )
State appears by Prosecutor Amy Richison. Defendant appears in person and by counsel, Jeremy Nix. The defendant has hired private counsel. Court sets appearance of counsel for March 19, 2012 at 9:30 a.m. LNT: Prosecutor, Probation, Atty Nix & Bondsman.

03/13/2012 Appearance Filed
Attorney Essex files Appearance (by fax) on behalf of Defendant. Status hearing remains set for March 19, 2012 at 9:30 a.m. LNT: Prosecutor, Probation, Attorney Essex, Attorney Nix
For Party: Schnitz, Troy Allan
Attorney: Essex, Thomas D.
File Stamp: 03/12/2012

03/19/2012 Status Conference (9:30 AM) (Judicial Officer Hakes, Thomas)
Appearance of private counsel. Counsel called 3-15 to state he will be here by 10:30.

I have been unable to find an update on this case, but did find 2 things.

1. The mom was 17 when she gave birth and is expecting baby #2.
2. The baby's name is Kaiden. I found the mom's MySpace page with photos of this beautiful child. I don't know if I can post it, but search Kaiden Schnitz and it will come up.

--what a horrific monster!

--from looking at her myspace, the baby that he practically killed IS baby #2.

--baby #1 "K" was born in feb.2010-----baby #2 "R" ( named in the media article ) would have been born approx. june 2011 , as he was 4 months old in oct. 2011.

--she has 1 hero---her husband troy ( greatest guy on the planet, loving , caring----someone that can be relied on.) they were married june 2009.

--i find it hard to believe that she was oblivious to the babies injuries, the article never mentions where mom WAS during this time.

--it's sickening that he was able to bond out, where does a 22 year old drug user get 10 grand from, i wonder.

Pled guilty in October 2012 without a plea deal.

Troy A. Schnitz was the primary caregiver of his three-month-old son. Schnitz struck
his son, slammed his head into the floor, shook him violently, and shoved a bottle in his
mouth, resulting in such serious brain injuries that his son can neither breathe nor eat on his
own and requires permanent and continuous nursing care. The State charged Schnitz with,
and he pled guilty to, three counts of class B felony battery resulting in serious bodily injury,
one count of class B felony neglect of a dependent resulting in serious bodily injury, and one
count of class D felony battery. The trial court sentenced Schnitz to an aggregate term of
forty-seven years, with three years suspended.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNEnj5P0tSw3Wr6mdGLHIDFjj0dx4Q

At the sentencing hearing, Schnitz testified that he was smoking “spice” at the time of
the offenses and explained that he had previously smoked pot, but because pot was illegal
and spice was legal, he had switched to spice...

The State submitted a doctor’s report that detailed the severe injuries suffered by
Raiden, indicating that he could not breathe or eat on his own and needed continuous nursing
care. The report also stated that Raiden would never be able to talk, sit independently, walk,
or potty train...
Testifying on Schnitz’s behalf were his wife, mother, brother, mother-in law, sister-in-
law, and a good friend...

They asked the trial court to show mercy so that Schnitz could continue to act as
a husband and father because his wife and family needed him...
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNEnj5P0tSw3Wr6mdGLHIDFjj0dx4Q

In the hospital after his injuries were diagnosed, we offered the opportunity to withdraw medical support as it was what we call “futile care”. Futile care is when a
person sustains such a substantial, devastating brain injury there is no hope for
meaningful recovery and a person (if old enough) or their family (if the patient
is a dependent) would not want to live with this injury, it would be ethically
defensible to remove support and allow the process to progress to deatha
process that is only being thwarted by extreme medical interventions. In this
case, Raiden’s father refused to consider this option.

In order to prepare for the rest of Raiden’s life given his injuries, he required a
tracheostomy because he cannot breathe on his own; a ventilator because
without it he could not breathe; a G-tube because he cannot swallow food; a
Nissen fundoplication, a medical procedure to tie off his stomach at the top to
prevent aspiration pneumonia; round the clock nursing care because if his trach
clogged, he would suffocate, and a list of over a dozen medications he requires
to control his seizures, digestion, pain, extreme hypertension and other medical
complications associated with his inflicted head injury.

Given the extent of his injuries, Raiden will never walk, talk, potty train, sit
independently or eat by mouth. His life will certainly not be of a normal
length - most children who sustain injuries like his will die in a matter of years
due to infection (pneumonia, urinary tract, sepsis) or as a complication of
seizures or high blood pressure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rxpb
Back