Paula Deen -- Diabetes Woes

oh_gal

Reaction score
The media is all over Paula Deen....for eating a cheeseburger while on a cruise, right after her disclosure of diabetes.

http://gma.yahoo.com/paula-deen-caught-eating-cheeseburger-150609231--abc-news.html

I don't have diabetes, but I did have gestational diabetes, and from what I recall, it all comes down to carbs. Diabetics can eat anything, as long as it falls within their carb-allowance for the day.

It's a hamburger, for goodness' sake!

Guess she's just supposed to eat grilled chicken breast dry with a bed of iceburg lettuce no dressing.

I feel for her, people have been picking on her for while anyway.

I have several family members on both sides of my family who have diabetes. I also had gestational diabetes.

People who are harping on Paula for having a burger need to get a life!

Unless they are affected by this HORRIBLE disease, they have no clue.

Having diabetes does not mean you have to avoid all foods besides meat and veggies.

Have to agree Kimberly. I grew up in a family of diabetics. They all had to count calories, and carbs, but nothing is restricted. Well, you don't want to eat a bag of candy, but food is not taken away from you.

If she just had open heart surgery and was seen eating a burger a week later it would make a bit more sense. I think then you get a long list of things you cannot have. I know bacon is one, as my boss had the surgery a couple of years ago and was sad about bacon being off the diet. (He is diabetic also, but he is back to just doing what he wants, can't say I blame him when you are told you only have x years left after heart surgery.)

ive been diabetic all my life and i eat cheeseburgers occasionally. i wouldnt cook the stuff she does, (fried butter?) but thats just me. i would worry more about the cholesterol than the carbs.

I don't understand why people think she is some kind of a food mentor. She makes fried butter for crying out loud. She is known for making COMFORT FOOD. When you eat that type of food for every meal, it becomes a problem. The media now hounding her over what she eats is insane IMHO.

I don't understand why people think she is some kind of a food mentor. She makes fried butter for crying out loud. She is known for making COMFORT FOOD. When you eat that type of food for every meal, it becomes a problem. The media now hounding her over what she eats is insane IMHO.

Yes! Southern COMFORT FOOD is her "thing".
I love her cookbooks.
Her shrimp and corn soup is to die for.
And if you REALLY want a treat, her gooie cakes are awesome.

But, like you said, you don't eat that kind of stuff everyday. I'm sure her family doesn't either.

Everybody loves a good cheeseburger every now and then. (or veggie burger)

I'm sure she tests her levels 4 times a day and takes her medicine like a "good little diabetic".

It's nobody's business what she eats. It's her body.
I bet all those who are harping on her have eaten a cheeseburger in the last month or so.

Like somebody upthread stated, diabetics don't have to live on grilled chicken and lettuce for the rest of their lives.

Ever since this story broke (and now being re-fueled by the news of her publicist quitting), we keep hearing about Paula Deen and butter, fried foods, etc. Such a missed opportunity for the 'media' to inform the public about the disease instead of the opposite.

One major exception: Last week, Vinnie Politan on HLN did a segment complete with a demo (props included a glass of "blood" which he thickened with sugar). As a Type 2 diabetic, he is personally well-informed and did the right thing to educate the public at-large. Too bad more in the 'media' weren't tuned-in that day.

Well, Paula is now the spokesperson for Novo Nordisk and as such she will be in the spotlight and watched at every turn. She also says that-
"I was diagnosed three years ago during a regular physical exam with my doctor, that I had type 2 diabetes. I am here today to let the world know that it is not a death sentence. I am working with a very reputable pharmaceutical company. I'm working on a new program called 'Diabetes in a New Light.' You can go to our website. I'm going to be there for you and help you manage every day of your life with this, because it can be done."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/17/paula-deen-diabetes_n_1210049.html
So,, there will be people waiting for her to make the slightest mistake and pounce-she's just like any other human being with issues of control-thank goodness papparazzi don't follow me around-although it would be boring most of the time!!:blushing:

But it's not a mistake, it's a burger.

She did nothing wrong.

I have several family members on both sides of my family who have diabetes. I also had gestational diabetes.

People who are harping on Paula for having a burger need to get a life!

Unless they are affected by this HORRIBLE disease, they have no clue.

Having diabetes does not mean you have to avoid all foods besides meat and veggies.

At a type 2'er, I giggled at the horror of poor Paula having a burger. The only thing she would have to worry about is really the carbs. That's what raises my blood sugar more than anything. The burger, lettuce, onions, or whatever else is on there is likely not going to effect her sugars.

Yes, I can have a burger. I can have a lot of things, and I have to work with what my body can and cannot tolerate. Every diabetic is different, based on their blood sugar levels.

Now if she was sitting there pounding down a bowl of ice-cream, I'd agree with the media. But a hamburger is not a big deal. Heck, we can't live on lettuce day in and day out.

Nothing wrong with a burger baby! Now hopefully she skipped the french fries -- there's absolutely no nutrtional value there.

MOO

Mel

But it's not a mistake, it's a burger.

She did nothing wrong.

I never said she did!! But, "they" are looking for anything to post while the whole diabetes/she knew for 3 years stuff is getting air and press time! "They" won't take a picture if it's not worth money for them-right now this story is hot-so they'll be stalking her!!IMO

I hate the way the media is jumping all over Paula Dean!

Yes, she is a Southern cook and most of her meals are rather high in fat and calories, but people DO have a choice in what they eat and what they cook!

She announced she has Diabetes and now people want to attack HER because of what she chooses to cook and eat? Is she tying people to their stoves and forcing them to cook the high calorie/fat filled recipes?

I think all of us have been guilty for eating comfort food now and then. Like Paula Dean says - eat it in moderation, not every day! Sheesh!

I'm going to have a glass of "sparkling-Pink-Moscato-comfort-food/drink" right now. :D

I never said she did!! But, "they" are looking for anything to post while the whole diabetes/she knew for 3 years stuff is getting air and press time! "They" won't take a picture if it's not worth money for them-right now this story is hot-so they'll be stalking her!!IMO

Oh I know. I know what you meant.

I was adding my emphasis. :smile:

The media can be do ridiculous.

Ever since this story broke (and now being re-fueled by the news of her publicist quitting), we keep hearing about Paula Deen and butter, fried foods, etc. Such a missed opportunity for the 'media' to inform the public about the disease instead of the opposite.

One major exception: Last week, Vinnie Politan on HLN did a segment complete with a demo (props included a glass of "blood" which he thickened with sugar). As a Type 2 diabetic, he is personally well-informed and did the right thing to educate the public at-large. Too bad more in the 'media' weren't tuned-in that day.

Too late to edit my post: Vinnie stated that he suffers from Type 1 Diabetes.

And an addition: In his demo, Vinnie showed one of Paula's burgers. I forget what it's named, but instead of buns she uses doughnuts. He posed the question to his viewing audience as, "What parts of this burger would be off-limits to a diabetic?" Red pencil to the photo: each item was circled as OK until he got to the 'Tasty Cremes'. ;-)

THE LADY’S BRUNCH BURGER

A Juicy Southern Burger

By now, everyone has seen Paula eating The Lady’s Brunch Burger with bacon and egg between two glazed donuts from an episode of Paula’s Home Cooking. It was genius of the then Head Food Stylist, Brianna, to put the donuts on the set and let Paula have fun if she wanted to.

Because she is such a great cook, nothing is ever too scripted for Paula on her shows and many options are always available for plating. I watched on the monitor as the boss reached past a plate of buns for a hot glazed donut and topped it with a juicy hamburger. Then she topped the burger with a fried egg and piece of crisp bacon before closing the contents in with another warm donut. She paused just for a minute before taking a bite. The crew was holding their breath.

(More at link)

Mother of a type 1 diabetic here, diagnosed at age 5.

I think it's a shame what the media and people are doing to harp on Paula. It's a tough, tough disease and to live a perfect diabetic dietary life day in and day out is hard. Sometimes people "slip" and sometimes people make a conscious decision to eat something, whether it's a treat or special occasion, or darn it all, their craving got the best of them and they got weak, like humans do.

A hamburger isn't going to kill her or put her in the hospital under most circumstances. Yes, she needs to watch the carbs...but maybe she adjusted her medication appropriately or knew how to handle it...or not. If she didn't, maybe she didn't feel very good afterwards and maybe learned her lesson.

It's a daily battle for a diabetic to eat appropriately to maintain their health. I'm sorry she had to deal with this becoming such a big deal. I wish her well and good luck in her Type 2 struggle.

P.S. But the hamburger patty had protein and fat in it, so as to help slow the carb absorption somewhat, LOL.

I love Paula Deen, BUT... It is true that for diabetics, there is a high risk of complications (eye problems, neuropathy, kidney disease, and yes, heart problems). So she really should watch her fat intake as well as her carbs, especially as a Type 2.

I hate the harping on her, but I do hope she watches her diet well - not just the carbs, but yes the fat as well, so she can stay heart healthy. That said, a burger now and then won't hurt, as long as its part of an otherwise healthy diet for her. :)

Last March, I was diagnosed as high-borderline Type 2. I immediately switched the sugar in my coffee to xylo-sweet, watched my fat intake, cut down portions of food and limited my alcohol consumption to one glass of wine every few days, if I feel like it.

Within six months, I was 10 pounds lighter and out of the danger zone. Since then, I've been keeping with the program and and adding lots of veggies, salads, and fruit into my diet. I'm now working hard to cut down the carbs.

Almost a year later, and I'm down 22 pounds and slowly losing weight. I "treat" myself to an occasional sweet... ONE cookie at Christmas, two forksful of hubby's dessert.

I don't want to get to the point of needing medication, that is my major motivation. My sister's SIL, a Type 1 diabetic didn't take care of herself. She drank heavily and was spotty in checking her blood sugar. In the hospital to have her foot amputated, she gorged on chocolate chip cookies from the gift shop. She died of a heart attack, leaving two small children behind.

Paula Dean doesn't need to be attacked for her recipes. I'm sure she watches what she eats and has learned how much of her own signature cooking she can eat. We all need comfort food from time to time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back