KY - Eggner Ferry Bridge rammed by freighter, collapses

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Bridge collapses in Kentucky after being rammed by hulking freighter carrying space rocket parts (Daily Mail)
Incredible images emerged of a hulking freighter wearing mangled pieces of a steel bridge on its bow after a collision in southwestern Kentucky Thursday night.

In the pictures, the 312-foot Delta Mariner idles, still partially in the bridge's path, and clearly looks much too large to fit beneath the aging Eggner Ferry Bridge, which crosses the Kentucky Lake Reservoir.
---
Two sections of the bridge, which is the only route across the lake and the Tennessee River, collapsed after the crash.
---
Surely there were deaths?
Unbelievably no one was injured after the collision, though one driver described the harrowing experience of slamming on his breaks and stopping just a few feet short of oblivion after finding the bridge suddenly stopped.

Robert Parker, 51, of Cadiz, Kentucky, said he and his wife were traveling northbound on the highway after leaving his stepson's house in Murray, Kentucky. They were driving in the rain along the darkened bridge around 8pm when they suddenly noticed a missing 20-foot piece of the bridge, which at that section stands at least 20 feet above the water.

'All of a sudden I see the road's gone and I hit the brakes,' he said. 'It got close.'

Mr Parker said he stopped his pickup within five feet of the missing section. Two cars behind him stopped on his bumper and he saw another car on the other side of the missing section stopped.
---
more, with the pictures, at link above

This is a re-occurring nightmare here in southwest IN, where the bridges from Evansville to KY get hit far roo often.

Holy crap...someone's in trouble! But, the folks from the region just got a free ride on a bridge that was due to be replaced soon anyway!

Those pictures were priceless, my mouth is still hanging open.

things like this always confound my brain...

how on earth can the captain of a ship not be cognizant of the clearance needed to pass under a structure like a bridge?

it's like the buses or semi's that get stuck under bridges. by law there are clearance signs posted on those too. are the signs wrong?

mexican-officials-concerned-over-impact-of-sheila-napp-beating-on-tourism

6070956128_170ee3b7c6.jpg

gp_15.jpg

9022738-large.jpg

:banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads