UK - Pianist mutilates own hands in bid to convince LE she was stalked by slasher

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Reminds of "The Poet" case in Wichita in the 1970s. (interesting article from People at link at left)

Fantasist piano teacher, 41, mutilates her own hands with kitchen knife
in bid to convince police she was being targeted by ‘psycho slasher’

A piano teacher’s reputation lay in ruins yesterday after she was unmasked as a hoaxer who triggered a massive police manhunt by falsely claiming she was being stalked by a crazed 'psycho slasher'.

Tracy Frankcom, 41, mutilated her own hands with a kitchen knife and slapped herself in the face - then wrongly alleged her injuries were caused by a sinister assailant who attacked her three times in 12 weeks at her music shop and farmhouse home.

Frankcom also sent herself poison pen text messages and abusive Christmas cards reading: 'It’s your last b****' and 'You’re dead b****' and helped officers create an e-fit of the fictitious assailant.
---
How'd the police react?
Police eventually arrested an innocent man, held him for 18 hours and forced him to take part in an ID parade before releasing him without charge.

Officers finally became suspicious of Frankcom’s account when inquiries drew a blank and she later confessed she had made it up - claiming she was 'in a dark place' following a minor bust up with a customer at her sheet music store in Darwen, Lancashire
---
more, with pictures of the alleged threat notes and e-fit of the "attacker," at Daily Mail link above

The case of The Poet I mentioned above is a fascinating one - there, the diagnosis was of dissociative reaction, "a split in the conscious mind in which one group of mental activities breaks off to function as a separate unit, as if belonging to another person." That could also be the case here as well.

Dissociative identity disorder (Wiki)

The case of The Poet I mentioned above is a fascinating one - there, the diagnosis was of dissociative reaction, "a split in the conscious mind in which one group of mental activities breaks off to function as a separate unit, as if belonging to another person." That could also be the case here as well.

Dissociative identity disorder (Wiki)

Verrrrry interesting read, thanks, Wfg. (Off topic: I love your nic on here...I'm a Beckett fan myself.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back