Attn: beerheads: 75-yr-old Coronation Ales found, still quite quaffable

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Edward VIII coronation beer on display – and it is still drinkable (swns.com)
---
]The Suffolk brewer’s Coronation Ale was due to be sold around Britain to commemorate the historic anniversary of the king’s first year on the throne in 1936 – but it never saw the light of day after he abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson.

The tipple then lay undiscovered for decades until workman found it in a bricked up cellar after being called in to replace a floor at the 200-year-old brewery site in Bury St Edmunds.
---
So - how's it taste?
After cracking open a bottle [brewer John Bexon], 53, said: ”This really would have been a fantastic beer in its day, it was 12 per cent when it was brewed so is quite strong and has kept really well.

”The rich fruit flavour still stands out and you can see a clear ring around the top of the beer when you look at it through the glass, rather like you might see on a vintage port or wine.”
---
Could I get a second opinion on that?
Beer critic Simon Williams, founder of the Campaign for Reall Good Beer, has already tried the vintage ale.

He said: “A Lambic-like sour beer full of rum and raisins and sherry trifle, the more I drink the more the blue cheese tang cuts across everything else and replaces the now forgotten hops and provides the dryness that leaves you wanting to take another mouthful.”
more, with a couple pictures, at Small World News Service link above

wfgodot, you totally had me at "quaffable." Mmmm, Lambic. :drink:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken