GUILTY TX - Jerry Collins, 68, found murdered, San Antonio, 28 Jan 2012 *indictment in 2018*

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Yikes. This guy owned the hardware store I used to go to when I lived in San Antonio. I knew him by sight but never really talked to him, other than a few pleasantries. Homicides are certainly always a little bit different if you know who the victim is, aren't they. This happened on Saturday and still not much info. Odd.

Shop owner died of cut to throat (San Antonio Express-News)
A man found dead in his mobile home Saturday was killed by having his throat slit and his death was officially ruled a homicide, according to the Bexar County medical examiner's office.

Police released little information at the scene of the slaying of Jerry Augustus Collins, 68, whose girlfriend discovered his body around 7:30 a.m. when she went to his neighboring trailer in the Circle B Mobile Home Park at 842 Corinne Drive on the Northeast Side.

That morning, neighbors and relatives said Collins owned Rittiman Hardware, a shop behind his home on Eisenhauer Road.
---
a bit more at link

video at foxsanantonio.com

Omg I grew up in San Antonio-have family there still. But isn't Rittiman and Eisenhauer road on the other side of town WF? I grew up Northwest side-Vance Jackson et al......

Omg I grew up in San Antonio-have family there still. But isn't Rittiman and Eisenhauer road on the other side of town WF? I grew up Northwest side-Vance Jackson et al......
Rittiman Road is the first main street south of Eisenhauer on the northeast side, less than a mile away. The hardware store was originally on Rittiman when first opened, and they never changed the name after the move.

My ex boss and friend was murderd over the weekend. There are still no known suspects. Jerry suffered a blow to the back of the head as well as having his throat slit.

http://www.woai.com/news/local/stor...e-his-mobile-home/HGWw109zlkyIhyUl70sPMw.cspx

Jerry was a father and a grandfather who would give the shirt off of his back. He owned Rittiman Hardware/Low Price Trailers and often employeed people that needed a hand up. Back when I lived in Florida and I would make my visits back to SA to see family, I always included Jerry as a "must visit".

I just got home from the funeral for Jerry. Unfortunately our verterans from WWII and Korea are starting to pass in larger numbers so a full military funeral at Ft. Sam Houston has a 2 week waiting list.

I had the (not so much)honor of sitting directly behind who I think the killer is. I wish I had something real to base my thoughts on, but it is just a hunch that the killer <modsnip>. In talking with Steve, one of Jerrys boys, it sounds like the police are not telling him much.

The "person(s) known to him" scenario would fit the evidence - I don't remember anything about a break-in (could be wrong; we have been told so little I don't remember what I do know!) and the one neighbor saying Mr.Collins wouldn't have opened his door if he didn't know who was knocking. That area of Eisenhauer, just off Austin Hwy, is much more bedraggled than when I moved to S.A. ten years ago. I would assume crime numbers have gone up, too. Serna Station, which is the post office sub-station serving that area, was robbed twice in two weeks not long before I moved.

There was no forced entry, leading one to believe that he new his attacker. The fact that he was found nude between the bed and wall tells me he did not just "answer the door" and let them in. IMO the killer(s) had to have a key and they caught him while he was asleep.

I know Jerry had guns, heck I have owned just one gun in my life and sold it to Jerry back around 1990. Besides the guns, Jerry was a big no nonsense kind of guy. Even at 68 he could well take care of himself if he was awake to do so.

Here is something I found REALLY odd today. The obituary was only put out for one day, today http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanantonio/obituary.aspx?n=jerry-collins&pid=155802586 What I found shocking was that Ruth, his GF of the last decade or so, is not mentioned but his ex wife Rose was
He is survived by soulmate, Rose Collins (former wife);
Though I was happy to read it, I found it very strange (LOVE YOU Rose!)

That area, as you say, is becoming worse and worse. I grew up just a few blocks east of the hardware store on Covina. When I was a kid it was safe, though a friend had his mother killed the next street over. This was a case of love gone wrong and not a reflection on the neighborhood at the time. Thankfully I have now moved down austin hwy to Alamo Heights.

$5000 reward may get somebody to talk :)
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for information which leads to the arrest of whomever is responsible for Collins' death.

http://www.ksat.com/news/SAPD-Murde...-home/-/478452/8620540/-/p3c5slz/-/index.html

ETA: OMG I was sitting here in front of the 50" when full screen came Jerrys picture and the crimestopper news. It would have been one thing if they had started the story first, but the pic coming out of nowhere, freaked me out bad.

<modsnip> that ruth is not in the obituary because jerry's family's the one that insisted on doing the funeral arrangements. they refused her the right to even say goodbye to him properly at the funeral home. if they are sitting here treating her this way, what reason do they have to mention her in it? <modsnip> by the way, did you even know that he did not want to be buried at all? he wanted to be cremated, but his family refused to abide by his wishes even in death. oh, and yes, she does have 2 sons, <modsnip> one of her sons was killed 4 years ago.

I just got home from the funeral for Jerry. Unfortunately our verterans from WWII and Korea are starting to pass in larger numbers so a full military funeral at Ft. Sam Houston has a 2 week waiting list.

I had the (not so much)honor of sitting directly behind who I think the killer is. I wish I had something real to base my thoughts on, but it is just a hunch that the killer is one (if not both) of the GF sons. In talking with Steve, one of Jerrys boys, it sounds like the police are not telling him much.

<modsnip> Truthfully, Jerry's sons have more of a motive for wanting him dead than anyone, especially with the way that they have been behaving ever since their father died. Not to mention the fact that they are pretty upset about Jerry's will. So, with that said, I would love to know why you think that Ruth's only living son, as well as her deceased son, had anything to do with murdering the man that their mother loved enough to take care of and stand by his side for well over a decade? Do you honestly believe that a son who loves his mother and wants nothing more than for her to be happy, would be capable of hurting, much less killing, the man that she loved and chose to spend the rest of her life with? <modsnip>

I think it is kinda funny how anyone asking questions on here seems to get answers to their questions, except when I ask them. For some strange reason, I just get ignored.

Members posting as locals need to be verified by Tricia. Could a mod please post the verification info.? Thanks.

ATTENTION PLEASE!

If you would like to be verified as a professional poster, such as doctor, lawyer, chemist, or whatever your profession or if you would like to be verified as a local/know the case players then please do the following:

Email Websleuths at : wsverify@xmission.com

In your email please include:
*The case
*Your Websleuths name
*Your real name
*Your phone number and a good time to call

In the subject line put either the case you are interested in or the profession you wish to verify.
Thank you.

I think it is kinda funny how anyone asking questions on here seems to get answers to their questions, except when I ask them. For some strange reason, I just get ignored.

We don't attack other posters here. You may attack a post - but NOT the poster. Also, Posters are free to respond or NOT respond as they choose and EVERYONE is entitled to their own opinion.

This is for everyone and lands at random: Please don't name anyone not named in main stream media (MSM) and provide links for any information you claim is factual.

Thanks,

Salem

Kristina, I am sorry I did not see your rant earlier. Though with the obvious rudeness I may not have replied anyway.

Funny thing is that the answer was here all along

I wish I had something real to base my thoughts on, but it is just a hunch

You are more than welcome to your opinion, If you have something that points to the boys then you should inform the police. If not than what makes your post different than mine? Why am I not allowed my opnion?

Fran,
If Trish keeps records she should have my phone #

Kristina, I did not catch all of the news, was it you that Ruth put the hit on or was it you she tried to hire for the hit.

Either way I am thrilled Ruth was arrested tonight, there was never a doubt she was involved, I just had the feeling one of her sons carried it out for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back