NY NY - Barbara Aleksivich, 24, Village of Bath, 3 Oct 1973

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For the longest time, I've been trying to find info on Barbara Jean Aleksivich (Maiden Name Jones) from Bath NY. All that has been out there is the NamUs no photo casefile with no indication of the circumstances of her disappearance.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11936/0

I contacted Investigator Heather Wheaton of the Village of Bath PD. She sent me a photo of Barbara Jean Aleksivich.

2306816910045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

She also gave me a brief summary of the circumstances of her disappearance. She was last seen taking a two-block walk home from the local Elks lodge. She was never seen again. There is a local man who was convicted of another murder in which he burned the body of the victim. He has served his sentence on that crime, and is still living in the area. They suspect that he might have been involved in Barbara Jean's disappearance, but they have not been able to come up with enough evidence to charge him with her dissapearance/murder.

Hello!

I did a little research on this, I learned that on the same night she disappeared - 2 men shot and killed a fella, and creamated his remains, at an animal shelter in Bath NY.

From what I understand, at least one of the men convicted of the murder was a partner with the victim in running the animal shelter. The men shot him in the chest with a .16 gauge shotgun.

They then disposed of him in the incinerator, that was normally used for the animals.

What connection this poor girl had to either the killers, or the male victim, I do not know.
That said, it would be an incredible coincidence to have a murder and a disappearance on the same evening.

Hello!

I did a little research on this, I learned that on the same night she disappeared - 2 men shot and killed a fella, and creamated his remains, at an animal shelter in Bath NY.

From what I understand, at least one of the men convicted of the murder was a partner with the victim in running the animal shelter. The men shot him in the chest with a .16 gauge shotgun.

They then disposed of him in the incinerator, that was normally used for the animals.

What connection this poor girl had to either the killers, or the male victim, I do not know.
That said, it would be an incredible coincidence to have a murder and a disappearance on the same evening.

I think I vaguely remember seeing that on Forensic Files (it sounds very familiar -- they were drinking pretty heavily before the shooting?). Do you have a link to news stories about it, because I would like to know more about it.

What happened to Mr. Aleksivich after his wife's disappearance? I noticed that Barbara Aleksivich also used the name "Barbara Jean Flanigan;" was she married before?

Hello,

I couldn't find a news link. But I did find this video - The info on the "animal shelter murder is towards the end.

Bath, New York - YouTube

The director of the video doesn't mention Barbara. That said - There aren't very many murders in that area. I can only think of 3 in the last 20 -30 years. But the were all terrible terrible crimes.

My point is that - What are the odds that a woman disappears on the very same evening a murder is committed in the same small town, and are not related.

To answer your question: I have no idea - what became of her husband, or her family, or why she used different names.

I get down toward Bath NY every now and then. Next time I'm there, I'll see what I can find out.

Hi,

I knew Barbara in the 1960s. Barbara's stepfather was Art Flanagan. She was born Barbara Jean Jones March 18th 1949 in her early years she lived in Millbrook, N.Y. 12545. When she was 10 she moved to Staatsburg, N.Y. She later married Bill Alekisivich and moved to Bath, N.Y. As far as I know she never had a drivers license. She was not in fear of walking alone in the dark. I have more info if you have questions. I do not know if the N.Y.S.P investigated this disappearance or just the local police. I'm also very interested in this case.

Flintleigh,

I'm sorry about your friend. Do you know if there was a connection to the murder mentioned in my post?

Hi,

My opinion is that a person would have to be brain dead not to include these people as suspects ! I'm a retired policeman who also in 1973-4 was at the N.Y.S.P. Academy. I have never investigated this obvious murder so I'am unable to evaluate the police investigations with regard to same. I started my police career in late 1964. However, I'm sure the police did the best they could at that time (1973)

Flint

Do you know if she knew those people? Either the victim or the two convicts? Was she still with her husband at the time?

Of course, she knew them. She had a cat, went to the vets prior. She left her canning jars on the table in her kitchen... did not take money or important papers. She loved her house and never wanted to leave it. Attended the Elks Club dinner with her husband, did not want to stay for the meeting. Now, what if a person she knew rode up for a quick chat to say hello, then mentioned the beautiful kittens or puppies that came in ? That would have doomed her, No brainer in my opinion. The murderer still OWES his debt to society for this terrible crime !

That's horrible. It's hard to imagine why the police couldn't find a way to charge those guys. Did her husband know those guys?

"Know those guys"? Small town... could be. He loved his wife and she loved him. Police do the best they can... the husband was found to be clean.

Flint,

Must be terrible knowing these clowns are out and walking around after all this time. Sometimes there just isn't any justice. If these guys are still alive I hope they make an attempt to "come clean".

I believe she went missing the day before R.W. & F.B murdered that margeson guy. I would suppose he could have been in on it too - or found out what they did, and they silenced him.

Either way, its still a shame that this poor girl ended up missing.

I wonder if they still have the contents of the incinerator? Could it be possible to retest the bone fragments, to see if hers were mixed in with the margeson guy?

Way too late but a good point on old bone fragments if the police saved them correctly. Of course he was silenced to prevent a murder conviction ! These are two hard cases of humanity left if you can call them humanity. Tell me, where is the second murderer located ? I would hope that there could be a deal worked out where one of the murderers could be pardoned just to bring the other one to justice.

I have no idea where they are now. The video I posted States that F.B. can be seen roaming around Bath, NY in a wheelchair. There is no mention of R.W.s whereabouts.

I'm not local to the area, but I do get down that way now and then.
I'll see if I can learn anything next time. There isn't much info on the web about this, but emailing the person that filmed the video might not be a bad idea.

At any rate, Before you posted this info - I wondered if she was:

A. Just an innocent victim.
B. Ran with these guys, or possibly had a relationship with one of them.

To find out she was just walking home, and was taken. Somehow makes this more disturbing.

I spoke with a guy from Bath, NY today. I brought this up (in a round about way). He said that there was some kind of connection to the V A Hospital in the area. Something about someone (presumably) killing a guy and stealing his disability checks. And that the director or manager, of the V.A. was in a three way (gay) love triangle, and ended up with his head smashed in...

I don't have any idea if these are facts, or jumbled memories....I thought is mention this though.

Different case. Cremation was involved. Sex attack on Barbara. Keep checking though. Thanx.

So, F.B. & R.W lured the girl into a car, or to wherever - assaulted her, killed her, and presumably burnt her body. Then they killed margeson to keep him from talking. Was Margeson in on the assault, and murder too? Or did he just find out about it somehow?

Only FB & RW can answer that question. (Both of them know) I'm told FB is still strolling around Bundy like the cat that swallowed the canary. No one has paid their dues to society in the murder of Barbara!

Hi,

I knew Barbara in the 1960s. Barbara's stepfather was Art Flanagan. She was born Barbara Jean Jones March 18th 1949 in her early years she lived in Millbrook, N.Y. 12545. When she was 10 she moved to Staatsburg, N.Y. She later married Bill Alekisivich and moved to Bath, N.Y. As far as I know she never had a drivers license. She was not in fear of walking alone in the dark. I have more info if you have questions. I do not know if the N.Y.S.P investigated this disappearance or just the local police. I'm also very interested in this case.

flintleigh, do you know if Barbara had any gold in her teeth? I was thinking she may be Lady of the Dunes...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21838&highlight=LADY+DUNE

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back