RIP Don Cornelius (Soul Train)

octobermoon

Reaction score
AP The Associated Press
BREAKING: Los Angeles police now say that "Soul Train" host Don Cornelius died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. -EF
4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Oh no! We used to love watching ST back in the 80s! Can still hear the "Soooouuuuuulll Train!"

So sad to hear he reached such a low point, to take his own life. Thanks for the beats, Don, and peace to you! :rose:

DON CORNELIUS DEAD
Apparent Suicide

During Don's bitter divorce proceedings in 2009, he told an L.A. judge he was suffering from "significant health issues" and wanted to "finalize this divorce before I die."

Cornelius was arrested in 2008 for beating up his wife. He pled no contest to misdemeanor domestic violence and was placed on 3 years probation. His probation just terminated.
http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/01/don-cornelius-commits-suicide-dead-died-gunshot/#.TylbVFwS1WM

Sounds like Don was a very troubled man. How sad! Watching Soul Train was a part of my teenage years and bring back some happy memories!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkleiqrWji0"]Soul Train: The best of the seventies - YouTube[/ame]

I loved this show. I watched it to learn dance moves and copy the fashion. Tube tops, patchwork denim, knickers, bell bottoms.....This show was pure fun.

RIP Don. Thank you for the bright light when I was a teenager.

While American Bandstand was fun and glitzy, Soul Train felt like the real deal. Even as a teenager I appreciated the difference.

R.I.P Don Cornelius

While American Bandstand was fun and glitzy, Soul Train felt like the real deal. Even as a teenager I appreciated the difference.

R.I.P Don Cornelius

Thank you, bessie! :) I'm just a wee bit older than you, so...

I loved American Bandstand (the original) back in the summer of '59. Those kids were my 'imaginary friends' <g> 5 days a week. Our family had moved to a new town in the month of June, and I was stuck in a neighborhood with houses far apart, no youth meeting places, and not yet in school until September to make new RL friends. The Philly kids just went to the studio after school...it was REAL. I will never forget the main players, and I still look them up on the net to see what they are doing nowadays. My fav dancer to emulate was Arlene Sullivan.

Soul Train was something ELSE! I absolutely adored it, and was delighted to see TV programming of its kind and quality in the 70s, even if just one day a week. My fav Soul Train dancer to emulate was named Patricia.

Both TV shows taught me new dance moves and brought such musical up joy...both are classics.

As well, good friends signed to the label...ahh, the memories!

R.I.P. Don Cornelius...you made a clear and indelible mark on the music landscape and have the respect of many generations

I watched a documentary featuring Mr. Cornelius not long ago. He was responsible for bringing a lot of talent to the forefront, and we are all richer for it.

My thoughts and prayers are with those who loved him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back