Haunting labyrinth, frozen in time: the ex-leper colony in Hell Gate, near the Bronx

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Amazing pictures and the rest of the story at the link below:

Inside the lost island of New York: Eerie pictures of the abandoned leper colony just 350 yards from the Bronx (Daily Mail)
---
Just 350 yards from the crowded tenements of the Bronx, North Brother Island was first employed as a quarantine centre in 1885.

It was soon a home to six lepers. Its most notorious resident was 'Typhoid Mary' - the first healthy carrier of any disease ever to be identified - who spent years confined in its bleak woods.

North Brother Island was also witness to America's worst disaster until the 9/11 attacks - the 1904 fire onboard the passenger ship, General Slocum which killed 1,021 people, mainly women and children on a church outing.

Closed in 1963, it is now a haunting labyrinth of crumbling ruins.Protected birds are its only inhabitants and the waters around the island are patrolled by armed coastguards who ensure the sanctity of the former quarantine zone is never violated

Meanwhile, the hospital, staff and patient quarters and forced drug rehabilitation centres are slowly reverting to nature.
---
a "don't miss" for those who enjoy what's sometimes called "ruin *advertiser censored*"

one of the pics

i've seen a few sights with pics of abandoned buildings and such. they are haunting and really neat to look at. especially if its by someone that really knows how to take photographs and not just clicks pics...

some of these places need to be restored with all the history behind them. unfortunately others are so beyond repair they're lost forever.

Awesome. Frozen indeed. So cool and sad all at once.

First comment beneath Mail article:
You think there is a remote chance of you contracting any diseases just by roaming around there?? Its kind of neat to see places frozen in time. I'd just be afraid to touch anything and catch some whacky disease.
- kc, over here, 01/2/2012 16:27
"I hear ya bro."

I used to do research for a book store wonder what the books are, it says they are books from Queens public library , they could have value, they could be worth a $1 or $10k you never know.

I used to do research for a book store wonder what the books are, they could have value.
I wondered that too, having once made a bit of a living selling books. Probably too weather-worn, condition-wise, to be worth much.

I looked at the books and thooooooooooooooooooooooooo/8888 (that was my cat on the keyboard lol)

I thought, what a waste - all of it but especially the books, even if they were castoffs

I looked at the books and thooooooooooooooooooooooooo/8888 (that was my cat on the keyboard lol)

I thought, what a waste - all of it but especially the books, even if they were castoffs

You never know with books, I was asked to help a friend go through some books that were left at an abandoned house. They were at that house for some 20 yrs with a leaky roof. I thought what a waste until I found one book written by Robert Frost that was worth 3k. So I never say what a waste until I've went through it all.

According to the photo caption, this were ex-library copies, so that takes the value way down right there.

North Brother pictures look even better here, and more of 'em. (kingstonlounge.blogspot.com)

Wow, fascinating!! I love stuff like this! Thanks for sharing the link, wfgodot!!

North Brother pictures look even better here, and more of 'em. (kingstonlounge.blogspot.com)

I just read the story of Typhoid Mary from that link. Amazing stuff. I had heard of her but never knew the story. Thanks, again, for the great info.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/aug/23/finding-sanctuary/

Neil White wrote "In the Sanctuary of Outcasts" about his time in prison at the Carville, Louisiana "...federal prison, which also doubled as America's last 'leprosarium.'"

My dad corresponds with Neil and sent me the book. It's very touching. It's also very sad to hear the stories of how some of the people with Hansen's disease were treated throughout their lives. And yet, they are inspiring in their ability to keep faith and humor. It's well worth the read.

[I get a lot of emails that look like that from my brother. His cat helps him type too. lol]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back