MN - "Rape tag" recess game shocks elementary school

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Parents shocked as schoolchildren 'hump' each other in playground game of 'rape tag' (Daily Mail)
---
Washington Elementary School in New Ulm, Minnesota, is at the centre of controversy as it was learned fifth grade students had played 'rape tag' during recess.

The game is very similar to freeze tag, except to unfreeze someone, a student would have to simulate a sex act on the frozen person.
---
The school said it took immediate action, talking to teachers who later discussed it with their students.
---
But while it appeared to stop there, rumours about the game continued to appear on Facebook, prompting [Principal] Sprung to send a letter to parents.
---
text of the letter, pictures, and more at link above

I'm disturbed by the last paragraph in the story...that 15 to 20 parents are upset that they now have to discuss sexual matters with their 5th grade children~!
Shouldn't they have had this discussion long ago???? Apparently, since the kids knew what "humping" was all about~!! :waitasec: :banghead:

never heard of freeze-tag or rape-tag

hope it hasn't been happening in other schools, although I doubt this is an isolated occurance

I'm disturbed by the last paragraph in the story...that 15 to 20 parents are upset that they now have to discuss sexual matters with their 5th grade children~!
Shouldn't they have had this discussion long ago???? Apparently, since the kids knew what "humping" was all about~!! :waitasec: :banghead:

to be fair, the article stated 'sexually-explicit issues' so it might be a matter of context

in 5th grade, I wouldn't have needed to understand sexually-explicit issues

I was 10 so maybe a basic discussion would've been appropriate

Wow. 5th graders these days are way more exposed to sexual stuff than I was in the early 60's. They see MTV and VH1 and R rated movies on TV and stumble upon *advertiser censored* searching for something with "pink" as a description in Google. I really don't think they understand rape and what their physical actions are simulating even.

I sure hope it's not the kids' Facebook that shows the rumors...KIDS THAT AGE ARE TOO YOUNG TO HAVE A FACEBOOK. Get real parents.

Wow. 5th graders these days are way more exposed to sexual stuff than I was in the early 60's. They see MTV and VH1 and R rated movies on TV and stumble upon *advertiser censored* searching for something with "pink" as a description in Google. I really don't think they understand rape and what their physical actions are simulating even.

I sure hope it's not the kids' Facebook that shows the rumors...KIDS THAT AGE ARE TOO YOUNG TO HAVE A FACEBOOK. Get real parents.

BBM

I have a "friend" on Facebook who is 10 years old. :maddening: She was going on about "being in a relationship" and I asked "How old are you again, A..." I'm not her mama so I can't say too much and I'm going to keep her as a "friend" to keep an eye out as much as I can. Unfortunately, she's the last of 5 children and not any of them has the same father~!!!! *frown*

Well, I hope these parents don't get too explicit with the kids! I recall 5th grade as an era of "learning to dance" at slumber parties and stuff like that. MTV has been "humping" as a main dance move since its inception. Shoot, even Dancing With the Stars has "humping."

And as far as "rape" goes-- I'll relate a error in judgment my own DM made: After receiving an LP of the soundtrack from Hair, I had it playing on the living room stereo. Those of you in the know are probably already cringing, but the song "Master*****n" was on when she came RUNNING out of the kitchen, snatched it off the stereo, opened the front door, and smashed the record onto the front walk! I was stunned!! What?? Why'd you do that, MOM?? Then she had to explain the offending concept, since I didn't know what it mean anyway! :floorlaugh: I taunted her with that for a while-- humming it under my breath now and again. But really, I didn't care, I only liked the Cowsills version of the hit song anyhow. :crazy:

[video=youtube;BFy-yzj02FE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFy-yzj02FE[/video]

Oh, and Freeze Tag was a staple in my childhood-- it was very similar to Statue. :fence:

This is sorta O/T but kind of related to these sexualized behaviors in children, such as this "humping tag game".

I was appalled in the 1990s and early 2000s when I would go to my daughter's dance recitals. (I was the kind of mom who was always present during every class, reading or sewing in the waiting area and making sure DD was safe and happy at the dance school. I never saw or heard about anything inappropriate occurring there.)

During the yearly recitals, the girl's routines were always well choreographed, even the jazz dances, except for once when the girls, dressed in only leotards and tights, took turns laying on the stage floor and doing a move where their legs were fully spread wide open while up in the air and facing the audience! wth?

But every single dance routine with boys included multiple aggressive pelvic thrusts. There were quite a few boys in this school, most in the 8-12 year old range, and all the teachers were female, ages 22 through 50s. This dance studio was considered the best in our area.

So year after year, we'd go to the recitals, bring the grandparents along, and continue to be mortified by the suggestive dancing the teachers were having these boys perform in front of hundreds friends and family members. Also shocking were the frequent approving hoots and catcalls from the audience while the boys were doing this.

Why have adults have come to believe this is normal? And why in the world would these teachers, the parents, and recital audience members think such actions would be appropriate for children to perform? Are the teachers getting their ideas from nightclubs? MTV?

I just don't know what to think, but if my kids ever put my future grandchildren into dance class, I'm planning to be a nightmare meddling granny and will be a whole lot more vocal about what dance moves are inappropriate and why sexually suggestive moves have no place in a child's dance recital.

Because the bar keeps getting lowered by pop culture. Thank you Michael Jackson for your crotch grabbing - the pelvic thrusting in dance is everywhere from Elvis to my beloved Patrick Swayze BUT - and here's the thing - that kind of entertainment is for adults.

IMO the line between adults and children has been severely blurred. When I was a kid, there were kid's clothes that were not mini replicas of adult clothes.

Now adults watch cartoons and play games and kids wear adult clothing styles in mini sizes and watch adult stuff like VH1, MTV and listen to adult music stations, which also have morning talk shows full of sexual innuendo. Kids cannot escape it. They have just been drug along into the adult world totally unprepared and our society has done nothing to protect them. Morals are a no-no to talk about because they are so repressive and subjective. Whataya gonna do?

Um, no. My DD is in 5th grade and we just had "the talk" over Christmas break when she asked me about it. I have chosen to answer questions as she poses them or as situations come up, because I think kids let you know what and when they are ready to hear things. We have talked about many other related topics, but not the actual mechanics of sex until this conversation. She still doesn't know what "rape" means, AFAIK. I know some kids are exposed to a lot of this stuff early, but I have worked pretty hard to give my kids an actual childhood.

And in case you think she knew already...no way. She was completely disgusted by the concept, which is exactly how an 11yo should react to that info.

TracyLynnS - ITA with you about the dance stuff! When my DD had her baby ballerina recital, the older girls were wearing fishnet leos with bikini type things under it. They were also doing a lot of hip thrusts, which the dance instructor defended as "an isolation exercise." Okay, right. These girls were about 12 and the dance was obscene. When I mentioned their young age and the costumes, the instructor said, "They need to wear it now while they can get away with it." WTF??? :waitasec:

AMEN!!! :applause:

Don't get me wrong: I think "rape tag" is highly inappropriate at any age and for several reasons.

But isn't it typical of American culture that we freak out over 5th graders playing "rape tag", but kids the same age have been playing at killing one another for at least 60 years. (Probably longer, but that's about how far back my memory goes.)

This is sorta O/T but kind of related to these sexualized behaviors in children, such as this "humping tag game".

I was appalled in the 1990s and early 2000s when I would go to my daughter's dance recitals. (I was the kind of mom who was always present during every class, reading or sewing in the waiting area and making sure DD was safe and happy at the dance school. I never saw or heard about anything inappropriate occurring there.)

During the yearly recitals, the girl's routines were always well choreographed, even the jazz dances, except for once when the girls, dressed in only leotards and tights, took turns laying on the stage floor and doing a move where their legs were fully spread wide open while up in the air and facing the audience! wth?

But every single dance routine with boys included multiple aggressive pelvic thrusts. There were quite a few boys in this school, most in the 8-12 year old range, and all the teachers were female, ages 22 through 50s. This dance studio was considered the best in our area.

So year after year, we'd go to the recitals, bring the grandparents along, and continue to be mortified by the suggestive dancing the teachers were having these boys perform in front of hundreds friends and family members. Also shocking were the frequent approving hoots and catcalls from the audience while the boys were doing this.

Why have adults have come to believe this is normal? And why in the world would these teachers, the parents, and recital audience members think such actions would be appropriate for children to perform? Are the teachers getting their ideas from nightclubs? MTV?

I just don't know what to think, but if my kids ever put my future grandchildren into dance class, I'm planning to be a nightmare meddling granny and will be a whole lot more vocal about what dance moves are inappropriate and why sexually suggestive moves have no place in a child's dance recital.

Speaking of dance, it saddens me how much makeup the little girls are required to wear for the recitals and concerts. More makeup than I've ever worn at any one time.
Why?
(No offense meant here, but) in most cases it doesn't even look good. At all.

Seriously, I would try to find out which particular child suggested the game and then find out what is going on in their home.

An entire group didn't come up with that idea on their own. I would wager to bet that some of those kids don't know what rape is, let alone "humping."

Just bizarre. Not every child in the world is oversexualized, but it seems that in every school or playground they run into kids who are. Makes me feel a little better for being overprotective when mine were that age. Innocence is a rare thing.

Well, since we're sharing stories, in 7th grade we had to make up new games to play in gym, and someone's game was a variation of dodgeball. To get the person who had been hit another person had to get them back in by going between their spread legs. I was horrified. WTF the was teacher srsly thinking?!?

Don't get me wrong: I think "rape tag" is highly inappropriate at any age and for several reasons.

But isn't it typical of American culture that we freak out over 5th graders playing "rape tag", but kids the same age have been playing at killing one another for at least 60 years. (Probably longer, but that's about how far back my memory goes.)

I think it's a little different to play cowboy (historical context) or soldier (job and hero) than rapist (criminal).

I think it's a little different to play cowboy (historical context) or soldier (job and hero) than rapist (criminal).

Whom do you think we were "shooting"? Somebody had to play the criminal, be he robber, murderer or Confederate rebel (where I lived that last one was hero or villain depending on your family background).

I was in the fifth grade in 1965, and by that age I was already hearing graphic sexual discussions among older boys at the YMCA. Frankly, they did a better job of explaining some of the details than my embarrassed mother. (They communicated plenty of misinformation, too.)

That was long before cable TV or the internet. I can't speak to what girls knew or heard, but fifth grade was already too late to introduce the subject of sex to boys.

Whom do you think we were "shooting"? Somebody had to play the criminal, be he robber, murderer or Confederate rebel (where I lived that last one was hero or villain depending on your family background).

I was in the fifth grade in 1965, and by that age I was already hearing graphic sexual discussions among older boys at the YMCA. Frankly, they did a better job of explaining some of the details than my embarrassed mother. (They communicated plenty of misinformation, too.)

That was long before cable TV or the internet. I can't speak to what girls knew or heard, but fifth grade was already too late to introduce the subject of sex to boys.

I've raised two boys and I have nephews and I've watched hundreds of children grow up in my community. Whatever they "know" in fifth grade, I've never known any boys who played "rape tag" on the playground or anything like that.

I find this whole thing bizarre and not the norm. Children kissing or touching as exploration at that age - yes. Rape? No.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back