Raw Oysters Kill 1, another critical

ShowerSinger

Reaction score
Panama City, FL
One 39 year old man is dead. Another man is in critical condition after eating raw oysters. (Isn't there some saying about when to eat oysters, anyway? Something like months that end in "y, or r"? Love 'em, but I won't eat 'em raw!)

Conservative Jews who observe the dietary laws wouldn't eat Oysters, they are considered "unclean".
ShowerSinger said:
Panama City, FL
One 39 year old man is dead. Another man is in critical condition after eating raw oysters. (Isn't there some saying about when to eat oysters, anyway? Something like months that end in "y, or r"? Love 'em, but I won't eat 'em raw!)

ShowerSinger said:
Panama City, FL

Yes Shower there is a rule of thumb about oysters.Im a fan but only cooked!

Fran...........Jews who keep kosher do not eat any shellfish and although not really shellfish,oysters fall into that catagory

i LOVE raw oysters and a couple beers on a hot day in the keys....but every year this is a concern due to water becoming too warm, the vibro proliferates. i am very careful about where they come from and how fresh. it's a tiny risk, but heck so is my job!

When there is an R in the month is correct here. ie avoid May June July and august because they are filter feeders the hot months tend to be when water bourn bacteria are most prolific.

I have eaten them in hot countries but would always prefer to eat them from either the North or irish seas where the temperature is always low. Same can be said of mussels although they are mostly cooked when eaten. Eating shellfish in some Mediterranean resorts nowadays could be considered a form of food roulette, it's always warm and has no tide to speak of so the nastys tend to lurk.

Raw oysters are my favorite food!

I eat mainly those from the Pacific Northwest & Canada -
and only in the colder months. My favorite oyster is the
Fanny Bay. I usually have them at King's Fishouse here
in Orange, CA. Never had a problem with them. If they
look funny - I send them back!

I do, however, get very ill if I eat New Zealand greenlip
mussels! ACK! They grow these here in the US also. The
black PEI mussels don't bother me at all! Go figure...

MW

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back