NY NY - Charles Gazzam Hurd, 32, New York City, 18 Feb 1937

Richard

Reaction score
This man's disappearance has remained unsolved for 75 years.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Charles Gazzam Hurd, 32, Missing 18 Feb 1937 from New York City, NY

Charles Gazzam Hurd
Missing since February 18, 1937 from New York City, New York
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics:

Date Of Birth: September 21, 1904
Age at Time of Disappearance: 32 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'10"; 180 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue-grey eyes.
Clothing: A gray overcoat, tan shoes and a gray fedora.
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance:

Charles G. Hurd, a member of a well-known New York family, vanished without a trace on February 18, 1937.

At the time, he was separated from his wife, and living at the Kenmore Hall Hotel, at 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue in New York City.

He was a Manager of the real estate and mortgage department of Dows Estates, Inc., 15 William Street, NY. Hurd had gone to work on February 18, 1937, and left at the close of business. He had dinner at a restaurant and night club on East 54th Street, leaving sometime before 21:00, after cashing a small check.

He was seen getting into his car, a Ford convertible coupe, New Jersey license plate I-E 65231, NJ. Around 21:00, he crashed his car into a pillar of an elevated railway structure at 3rd Avenue and 37th Street, but appeared to have suffered only minor injuries. He drove away, but was never seen or heard from again.

Investigators:

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

New York Police Department
Missing Persons Bureau
Acting Cpt. John G. Stein
1-212-694-7781

Source Information:

Amy Hurd Fetchko
The Doe Network: Case File 1775DMNY

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1775dmny.html

From LDS, 1920 Census https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MJBP-5C9

Name: Charles Gazzan Hurd
Residence: , New York, New York
Estimated Birth Year: 1905
Birthplace: New York
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Race: White
Marital Status: Single
Father's Birthplace: New York
Mother's Birthplace: Alabama
Film Number: 1821213
Digital Folder Number: 4313936
Image Number: 00735
Sheet Number: 16
Household Gender Age
Parent George Arthur Hurd M 50y
Parent Emily Gazzan Hurd F 43y
Arthur Walenethin Hurd M 21y
Katherine Hurd F 17y
Charles Gazzan Hurd M 15y
Clarissa Hurd F 15y
Margaret Conner F 42y
Rose Imhoff F 37y
Olga Olson F 26y

And 1930 Census https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X4NX-NW6

Name: Charles G Hurd
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Summit, Union, New Jersey
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Birthplace: New York
Estimated Birth Year: 1905
Immigration Year:
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Father's Birthplace: United States
Mother's Birthplace: Tennessee
Enumeration District Number: 0154
Family Number: 336
Sheet Number and Letter: 15B
Line Number: 90
NARA Publication: T626, roll 1389
Film Number: 2341124
Digital Folder Number: 4662325
Image Number: 00949
Household Gender Age
Charles G Hurd M 25
Spouse Marie L Hurd F 22
Child Charles G Hurd M 1

Two things strike me, first the different spelling of 'Gassan' and the fact the news of the day carried very little about this prominent man going AWOL. I wonder if maybe the family reported it as a missing person but they didn't pursue it too much for one reason or another. IMO it should have been all over the news.
Just my opinion.

"Gazzan" was most likely his mother's maiden name. Great information from the Census. I wonder what other information is available. Back in the 1930"s a lot of folks moved away for various reasons and seemed to "disappear".

Whole families packed up during the depression and Dust bowl days and moved.

This guy, however, seems to have come from a well-to-do family with the means to afford a serious search - or at least get his name in the papers.

Yes Richard, very much so, people were moving for work to feed their families but this guy was different.
He was working in the financial district, his car was top of the range and he was living from one of the most extravagant hotels in the area. The hotel was turned into private appartments (over 22 floors) during the 1990's.
I tried to find his family grave site but wasn't able to, I'm sure it should be quite large and opulent if the rest is anything to go by.
Surely a family with money would employ, at any cost the best folk to investigate and keep it in the news but it's strange they didn't.
If anybody can find his son there might be living relatives that either know what happened and/or can shed more light on it.

This man's disappearance has remained unsolved for 75 years.
Around 21:00, he crashed his car into a pillar of an elevated railway structure at 3rd Avenue and 37th Street, but appeared to have suffered only minor injuries. He drove away, but was never seen or heard from again.

Seeing that he crashed his car into a solid structure, I would think that he wouldn't have travelled too far in a damaged vehicle. Could he have abandoned the car and disappeared while walking?

http://www.walkscore.com/score/3rd-ave-and-e-37th-st-new-york-ny-10016

Looks like the pillar and elevated railway structure he hit is long gone; I can't find it on this street view from any angle. ETA-He was about 3 or so blocks from the East River. I wonder if he became disoriented and drove right into it and drowned? Did the police or Coast Guard make a search of this area?

Charles G. Hurd. 32 years old, a Yale man and member of a wellknown New York family, has been missing since Feb. 18, following a night-club visit-and an automobile accident, the Missing Persons Bureau disclosed yesterday.
CGHurd.jpg

U. G. HUKD ISSING; SOUGHT IN 8 STATES; Alarm Sent Out for Realty Man Who Vanished Feb. 18 After an Auto Crash

Charles Gazzam Hurd
  • charles_gazzam_hurd_1.jpg
Hurd, circa 1937

• Missing Since 02/18/1937
  • Missing From Manhattan, New York
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 09/21/1904 (115)
  • Age 32 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'10, 180 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A gray overcoat, a gray fedora and tan shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue/gray eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Hurd was last seen in the New York City borough of Manhattan on February 18, 1937. He was employed as the manager of the real estate and mortgage department of Dows Estates, Inc. in the 10 block of Williams Street.

Hurd went to work as usual and left at closing time. He had dinner at a restaurant and nightclub on east 54th Street, cashed a small check, and left.

At 9:00 p.m., he crashed his Ford convertible coupe with the New Jersey license plate number I-E 65231 into the pillar of an elevated railway structure at 3rd Avenue and 37th Street. He appeared to have suffered only minor injuries and was able to drive away.

Hurd has not been seen or heard from since. He was separated from his wife at the time of his disappearance. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • New York Police Department
Source Information
LINK:
Charles Gazzam Hurd – The Charley Project

Has his car been designated as missing too?

If it had damage to it from the point of contact with that pillar I would think that might be evident in the search for his whereabouts.

His car probably looked like this if it was a '37 model:

Attachments

• 1937-Ford-convertiblecoupe.jpg
    1937-Ford-convertiblecoupe.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 5
I wonder if East River has been searched for his car where 37th St and FDR Dr. meet?

Attachments

• 37thSt-and-3rdAve.JPG
    37thSt-and-3rdAve.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 3
I wonder if East River has been searched for his car where 37th St and FDR Dr. meet?
You would think so. Also the car wouldn’t have traveled very far into the river plus that car would have weighed a ton so I would think it would be relatively easy to find.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back