Noro-Infected Ship Returns to Fort Lauderdale

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
DH and I disembarked the Crown Princess on Saturday. There had been widespread Norovirus on our 1/28-2/4 voyage. I was fine, but DH developed symptoms of the stomach virus last on Friday afternoon. He immediately took Advil and Immodium, drank plenty of water, didn't go to dinner, went to bed, and didn't leave our stateroom until we disembarked on Saturday morning.

Given the current numbers of afflicted crew members and passengers, the ship is returning to Port Everglades as it is likely that many more people will develop symptoms of the highly-contagious virus.

We are glad to be home and have no future cruise plans. Next year's winter getaway will be spent on dry land.

News Article

2/7/2012

Update on Crown Princess

The increased incidence of gastrointestinal illness that occurred during the previous cruise of Crown Princess has reappeared on the current voyage which departed Saturday, February 4, despite rigorous sanitization measures.

In consultation with the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), who has informed us that there are widespread outbreaks of Norovirus occurring in the US, it was agreed that the best course of action to stop the spread of the illness is for the ship to undergo a two-day extensive sanitization. To accomplish this, Crown Princess is now returning to Fort Lauderdale where the cruise will end on Thursday, Feb. 9. The ship was scheduled to return on Saturday, Feb. 11...

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1210

BetteDavisEyes,

That was the SECOND boat this weekend that came back with the norovirus. One of them was the Ruby Princess - she was supposed to embark Sunday morning and they rescheduled it until late Sunday afternoon. So it was TWO ships with it this weekend.

This happens a lot more than you think. Because I live here - we hear about it - all the time. This ship, that ship, this ship AGAIN! Even the Oasis of the Seas has already had it and had to be sanitized.

Guess they didn't do such a good job on the Crown Princess as it is now "struck" again.

Just one of the reasons I really don't like these "floating cities". Would love to see them (take a tour), but sail on them? Nope. No way. Give me a tall ship with 100 or less guests, where you can sleep on the deck under the stars any day!!!!! I was so upset when Windjammer Cruises went out of business; but their ships are still around.

You know, I used to fantasize about going on a cruise, but I've been cured by stories like this and by the wreck of the Italian ship.

I'll just continue to go to the beach and watch the ocean from the shore, thank you very much.

BetteDavisEyes,

That was the SECOND boat this weekend that came back with the norovirus. One of them was the Ruby Princess - she was supposed to embark Sunday morning and they rescheduled it until late Sunday afternoon. So it was TWO ships with it this weekend.

This happens a lot more than you think. Because I live here - we hear about it - all the time. This ship, that ship, this ship AGAIN! Even the Oasis of the Seas has already had it and had to be sanitized.

Guess they didn't do such a good job on the Crown Princess as it is now "struck" again.

Just one of the reasons I really don't like these "floating cities". Would love to see them (take a tour), but sail on them? Nope. No way. Give me a tall ship with 100 or less guests, where you can sleep on the deck under the stars any day!!!!! I was so upset when Windjammer Cruises went out of business; but their ships are still around.

I just read on a cruise message board that Princess had been advised by the CDC to not set sail on the Crown due to the major outbreak of Noro on our January 28 cruise. The ship should never have left Fort Lauderdale :banghead: There are already many reported cases of the illness onboard among passengers and crew, and the numbers will balloon before they arrive back at Port Everglades on Thursday.

We purchased Future Cruise Credits but have no plans for another sailing any time in the near (or distant) future. We've always enjoyed port calls in Aruba and would love to spend a week or more on this beautiful island, so that is likely to be our next winter escape destination.

Bon Voyage :innocent:

Kinda O/T but still about ships.

I went looking for the Windjammer ships - seems there is a line still operating under a different name with most of the same ships.

These are my 3 favs:

The Legacy:
dt_legacyBoatImage.jpg

The Royal Clipper:
dt_royalBoat.jpg

And The Mandalay:
dt_mandalayBoat.jpg

These ships host under 200 guests. You can sleep on the decks under the stars. AMAZING, simply amazing cruises. Only way I would ever cruise.

Here's the website:

http://www.sailingshipadventures.com/

You can keep the big floating cities.

Yikes, the in-laws are taking a cruise out of FL. this week...

Kinda O/T but still about ships.

I went looking for the Windjammer ships - seems there is a line still operating under a different name with most of the same ships.

These ships host under 200 guests. You can sleep on the decks under the stars. AMAZING, simply amazing cruises. Only way I would ever cruise.

Here's the website:

http://www.sailingshipadventures.com/

You can keep the big floating cities.

Photos respectfully edited.

I've read that some of the "tall ship" cruises encourage and/or require passenger participation throughout the voyage. I doubt that I'd be much help above deck hoisting sails, dropping anchors, etc., but I'm a good cook and would gladly share my talents in the galley. In the words of Julia Child: I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food :D

Bon Appetit!
Chris

Yikes, the in-laws are taking a cruise out of FL. this week...

Make sure that they pack plenty of Advil or Tylenol, Immodium, Pepto-Bismol, Purell, and anti-bacterial wipes. Even though staterooms are serviced daily, I wipe down everything that we touch - door handles, faucets, light switches, phone, hairdryer, remote, balcony railing, etc. at least once, and sometimes twice daily. Always carry Purell or anti-bacterial hand wipes when disembarking the ship to visit ports. Avoid the buffet if possible and eat only in dining rooms where food is served as opposed to self-service. Drink plenty of fluids (water) to stay hydrated. Don't use public restrooms on the ship or in port if at all possible. I can't promise that all of these preventative measures will keep folks for getting the highly-contagious Norovirus, but this is a case where it's better to be safe than sorry. jmo

Make sure that they pack plenty of Advil or Tylenol, Immodium, Pepto-Bismol, Purell, and anti-bacterial wipes. Even though staterooms are serviced daily, I wipe down everything that we touch - door handles, faucets, light switches, phone, hairdryer, remote, balcony railing, etc. at least once, and sometimes twice daily. Always carry Purell or anti-bacterial hand wipes when disembarking the ship to visit ports. Avoid the buffet if possible and eat only in dining rooms where food is served as opposed to self-service. Drink plenty of fluids (water) to stay hydrated. Don't use public restrooms on the ship or in port if at all possible. I can't promise that all of these preventative measures will keep folks for getting the highly-contagious Norovirus, but this is a case where it's better to be safe than sorry. jmo

Hell,I'd need to go on a vacation after doing all of that above.I'll stick to a paddle boat where all I need to do is bring a bottle of water and sunglasses.;)

Hope your husband feels better.

Latest update on the Crown Princess as it sails back to Fort Lauderdale. This vessel has been plagued by Norovirus since early December with only two or three illness-free sailings. While it would greatly inconvenience those who are scheduled to embark the Crown this Saturday, it might be in the best interest of crew, staff, and passengers for the ship to be taken out of service until the source of the virus can be determined. The ship was completely sanitized following the 1/28-2/4 sailing that DH and I were on, but the illness is still flourishing onboard. Something must be done to prevent further outbreaks, and the superficial sanitizing doesn't seem to be enough. "Houston, we have a problem." jmo

News Article

2/8/2012

Update on Crown Princess

The increased incidence of gastrointestinal illness that occurred during the previous cruise of Crown Princess has reappeared on the current voyage which departed Saturday, February 4, despite rigorous sanitization measures.

In consultation with the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC), who has informed us that there are widespread outbreaks of Norovirus occurring in the US, it was agreed that the best course of action to stop the spread of the illness is for the ship to undergo a two-day extensive sanitization. To accomplish this, Crown Princess is now returning to Fort Lauderdale where the cruise will end on Thursday, Feb. 9. The ship was scheduled to return on Saturday, Feb. 11...

http://www.princess.com/news/article.jsp?newsArticleId=na1210

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4