Ol' Madge, carping on young-un's Super Bowl middle finger

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
"What's this world coming to?"

Madonna Slams M.I.A.'s Super Bowl Middle Finger: 'A Teenager ... Irrelevant Thing To Do' (huffingtonpost.com)
---
Madonna has taken to the airwaves to express her disappointment with M.I.A.'s decision to flip the bird at cameras during the halftime show, calling the move a "teenager ... irrelevant thing to do." Madge was chatting with Ryan Seacrest about her performance when he brought up the incident.

To the pop star, the middle finger was simply "out of place" at a show characterized by "such a feeling of love and good energy and positivity."
---
the rest of this ho-hummer at link above

M.I.A is 36. Way too old to be acting like that.
I didn't lose sleep over it but I agree that it was childish.

Oh the irony. It seems to me that madonna is the one who is irrelevant. I think she is just miffed that the gesture was the talk of the show and not her.

Oh Madonna, they say the mind is the first thing to go. How quickly you forget that you shot to fame by doing provocative things like rolling around the stage in a dress, showing your underwear, and humping the floor on and awards show, went thru your erotica phase and published a book of naughty little pics,not to mention your "like a prayer video, all in the attempt to keep yourself in the news.

Oh but that is in the past isn't it ( kinda like your career, huh)? Nowadays you are busy acting as though you are from England with that fake British accent as if affecting an accent somehow bestows you with class and elegance.

Don't mean to offend any Madonna fans but I have been over Madonna since i stopped being a teenager almost 30 years ago. Madonna has NO room to judge anyone else for doing provocative things. After all, provocative things are what she built her fame and fortune on.

Ok, I'll admit I am a Madonna fan (gonna be banging on my keyboard Monday morning for tickets to her DC show... I've always wanted to see her in concert and now I finally have a chance) but I am not offended... and boy do I get the irony of her being miffed over M.I.A. I'll never forget when David Letterman got so upset by Madonna's awful vulgar behavior, one time, that he felt the need to apologize to his audiences the next night. M.I.A flipping the finger is pretty mild compared to some of Madonna's actions when she was in her 20's and 30's.

Yep, a flipping finger is very mild compared to Madonna's shenanigans. Madonna needs to get over herself. I was pretty annoyed when A fan gave her flowers (hydrangeas) and she forgot she was on a mike and told the person next to her "I loathe hydrangeas". Yeah, I know the feeling, I loathe ungrateful people.

MIA giving the finger during half time show was nothing on the surface.

Just flippin the bird at an inappropriate moment it seems.

Or does it?

I'm not sure this was just a case of nerves. This might go back to MIA's interview she gave with a reporter in the NY Times in 2010.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/magazine/30mia-t.html?pagewanted=all

She was royally peezed about that interview and how she came off in it.

(MIA is very outspoken about Sri Lanka and it's difficulties and she brings focus onto it but her words at times are inflamatory rather than peacemaking IMHO from the little I've read about her over the past couple years. I really don't pay that much attention to her but she does have a political agenda).

She also has given interviews in which she has shared her intense distaste and for America and American citizens.

Which is okay. If she feels that way, I'm cool with that. Everyone has a right to their own opinions about everything and to share those opinions.

But was she just trying to get attention? Was she just having a case of the nerves? Or was she shooting the bird to America when she was given the opportunity at a venue that had millions of American's watching?

She hasn't said as of yet that I can see.

Just curious. Either way I couldn't care less about the bird, or what this young lady has to say...she bores me.

About Madonna: She said that Lady Gaga was "reductive" when asked about gaga's song born this way being a tribute or somesuch to her own song express yourself.

Now don't get me wrong, I was a madonna fan back in the 80's. Madonna is wonderful at what she did, which was to translate trends and fads and street movements into visuals. (music videos). She is a queen in that respect as a self promoter too (Visual art much like Warhol IMHO both self promoters).

But let's get back to her choice of word: reductive haha.

(which when she delivered that one word response she had a very smug look on her face haha---).

Which brought to my mind her latest song release: Give Me All Your Luvin'

1. When I heard it I looked at my husband and said is she covering a go-go's song? (wasn't being snotty was a real question).

2. When he said no I think it's her new song off her new album: I said~ havent' we heard this before?

"Oh Mickey, you're so fine
You're so fine, you blow my mind, hey Mickey, hey Mickey
Oh Mickey, you're so fine"

or

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol4ClHt-cgQ"]Avril Lavign-Girlfriend - YouTube[/ame]

Not exact copies but very similar for some reason in my mind. Almost reductive? haha.

Madonna is fine. I still enjoy her oldies. I'll listen to her new album. I just hope this new song isn't indicative of the all the songs on the CD. :) Just my opinion.

Madonna did a very good job cashing in on work already done by, in terms of costume and stage presentation, Siouxsie of Siouxsie and the Banshees and Debbie Harry of Blondie, in addition cadging large chunks of the Freudian "Madonna/*advertiser censored* complex" dichotomy, then adding mediocre singing, mediocre dancing and top-notch studio production, and parlaying it all into an interesting, if certainly not very original, career.

Her comment about the middle finger being a teenager thing was disrespectful. Teenagers should think twice before they purchase a concert ticket for the upcoming tour?

Yes, I am a Madonna fan (of her music). However, if the attention is taken away from her, she will attack. Let the record show. :what:

Just read my rant in the basement "Vogue" thread. The entire show was a puerile display, and I was unhappy that "Madge" did not take the time to do something more meaningful than vogue when given the opportunity. I'll not rant again here, it was lengthy and I could have went on. :crazy:

Because I'm still ranting about it, here is what I said before:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7578757&postcount=35"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I did not know that MIA also hates Americans, that just compounds things.

I was expecting something that she is just not capable of. I was expecting what I think her creators originally intended. To take her from Mary Magdalen to Mary Madonna. This would have made a much more prolific and longer lasting career. It would also have transformed the street girl to the wise and compassionate woman that actual does something to make a difference. Not just to remain a street Magdalen.

I guess I hoped that she would have grown from touring abroad and living abroad, having a daughter, grown intellectually and spiritually, and transform into Mary Madonna, capable of using any stage time for something more meaningful than just a pop tart. If she had not broken away from her creators that could have happened and she would have never left the top of the list. She left them and is now what she is. Magdalen with no hope of growing. I can't imagine that the teens of today will want to buy her albums or go to her concerts, so it really makes no difference.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back