Landfill Search

NPL Site Narrative for Hidden Valley Landfill (Thun Field)

HIDDEN VALLEY LANDFILL (THUN FIELD)
Pierce County, Washington

Federal Register Notice: March 31, 1989

Conditions at proposal (June 10, 1986): The Hidden Valley Landfill, located next to Thun Field, covers about 75 acres near Puyallup in Pierce County, Washington. The area is sparsely populated, with approximately 1,725 people residing within 1 mile of the site. Within the next 5 years, a developer plans to build a 10,000-person residential community about 0.5 mile from the site.

From 1967 to 1983, the landfill, an old gravel pit, accepted liquid and solid waste. Approximately 48 acres have been covered with waste. The landfill has no liner or leachate collection system. Originally, the landfill was operated by Pierce County on leased land. Land Recovery, Inc. (LRI) purchased the property in 1977 and now operates the landfill.

In 1982, a consultant to the Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department detected manganese in ground water on the site. About 7,300 people are served by 35 public water supply systems drawing ground water within 3 miles of the site. The nearest well is 1,000 feet from the site. Pierce County has petitioned EPA to designate the Clover-Chambers Creek Aquifer underlying the site as a sole source aquifer under the Safe Drinking Water Act.

A fresh water wetland is within 1 mile of the site.

Status (March 31, 1989): In August 1987, LRI and the Washington Department of Ecology signed a Consent Order requiring LRI to conduct a remedial investigation/feasibility study to determine the type and extent of contamination at the site and identify alternatives for remedial action. The study is expected to be completed in early 1990.

For more information about the hazardous substances identified in this narrative summary, including general information regarding the effects of exposure to these substances on human health, please see the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) ToxFAQs. ATSDR ToxFAQs can be found on the Internet at http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaq.html or by telephone at 1-888-42-ATSDR or 1-888-422-8737.
http://www.epa.gov/superfund/sites/npl/nar1018.htm

On the 20/20 episode they mentioned they he had taken stuff from his storage locker to the landfill but I wondered how they knew that.

According to the link posted at the top of thread they said there were no cameras but a "tip" was received that he "may" have taken items to the landfill. So I guess we don't know for sure if he actually went there but I would think since he was in the process of planning this fire he would have just taken any items he wanted to destroy back to his rental house and douse them with gas.

On the 20/20 episode they mentioned they he had taken stuff from his storage locker to the landfill but I wondered how they knew that.

According to the link posted at the top of thread they said there were no cameras but a "tip" was received that he "may" have taken items to the landfill. So I guess we don't know for sure if he actually went there but I would think since he was in the process of planning this fire he would have just taken any items he wanted to destroy back to his rental house and douse them with gas.

On "Dateline," I thought I heard them say that he went through "Susan's things," and then took them to the dump. I wondered how they knew which boxes and what was dumped if they haven't found anything at the landfill.

On "Dateline," I thought I heard them say that he went through "Susan's things," and then took them to the dump. I wondered how they knew which boxes and what was dumped if they haven't found anything at the landfill.

Exactly my thoughts!

Exactly my thoughts!

Maybe they know something through questioning Alina or through texts and emails. But they haven't found the stuff. Or maybe they have found things but just nothing incriminating.

The landfill thing, along with the 7k together is making me think....I wonder if he thought that after he and the boys had died there was a chance that some of these possessions or money would go to the Cox's. Perhaps his hatred against them made him want to make sure they didn't get a dime from his bank account or special possessions of Susan's they might want to hold onto. Creep.

There was a tweet that he took piles of paper to the landfill and LE had to look through the pile. I'll try to find it.

KevinKIRO Kevin McCarty
More on the landfill search in the #JoshPowell investigation at 4:59. Det's have to examine a huge pile of paper. #FindSusan.
9 Feb

KevinKIRO Kevin McCarty
Landfill clarifies: #joshpowell may have dumped papers at recycling center located at landfill near his home. #FindSusan
9 Feb

KevinKIRO Kevin McCarty
Pile of paper searched in #joshpowell investigation. He may have been here 1 day before the fire. #FindSusan pic.twitter.com/JlhiWA4q
9 Feb

KevinKIRO Kevin McCarty
Landfill searched by #PierceCounty det's near #joshpowell home. #FindSusan pic.twitter.com/tskf9kG3
9 Feb

KevinKIRO Kevin McCarty @
@StartRunning2 we don't know yet what det's were looking for at the landfill. Only that they searched and will return

The landfill thing, along with the 7k together is making me think....I wonder if he thought that after he and the boys had died there was a chance that some of these possessions or money would go to the Cox's. Perhaps his hatred against them made him want to make sure they didn't get a dime from his bank account or special possessions of Susan's they might want to hold onto. Creep.

Exactly. That is why he diverted the money directly to his sister rather than leave it in the bank for his estate. You can't do that any more than you can give all your money away and then file for bankruptcy. The bankruptcy court can make the people who received money within a certain period of time give it back. It is not fair to the creditors, and right now, some people have very legitimate claims against Josh. His family has no right to that money.

They said on dateline that jp was in storage unit 1.5 hours IIRC.
I think someone saw/talked or was there in charge and took notes??
Or since he was infamous maybe video on him by cell?
Let's hope someone witnessed something!

Police search landfill for Josh Powell paperwork

PUYALLUP —

Officials searched a landfill Thursday near where Josh Powell lived for paperwork he may have dumped off there a day before the fire, the Pierce County Sheriff's Office told KIRO 7's Kevin McCarty.

Investigators combed through a huge pile of paper in search of the documents, but didn't find anything, police said. A team is expected to return to the site Sunday.

Police said a tip that was received after Powell triggered an explosion at his home Sunday that killed him and his two sons led them to the landfill.
http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/crime-law/landfill-searched-part-powell-case/nHYnm/

One would think that JP knew enough to burn any paperwork. It doesn't make sense that he would throw it away without making sure it was destroyed.

One would think that JP knew enough to burn any paperwork. It doesn't make sense that he would throw it away without making sure it was destroyed.

Those are my thoughts. He took care enough to eliminate even the kids, and with fire, why would he screw up that one time? Makes no sense, however, he was at the landfill for a reason. I've just not put it together yet.

Maybe he shredded it, then tossed it. :waitasec:

But the landfill is a public place, why risk the busiest day of their season to let someone see you dumping papers, with what Josh Powell had in mind for the future? Death

Did he tell someone within that time that he dumped those papers, and for what reason tell anyone? Or was someone with him?

I haven't a clue, was merely throwing out a possibility. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelKeell
Back