TN - Keaton Jacobs, 22 mos, dead for hours, thumbtack in windpipe, 12 Jan 2012

MsFacetious

What a Kerfuffle...
Reaction score
Sheriff: Carter Co. toddler found dead with thumbtack in windpipe

(In the comment section here, friends dispute the story in the article.)

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article.php?id=97559#ixzz1mA2r6iDk

...put the boy to bed around 11 p.m. Wednesday. He was found dead when she went to get him to eat at about 1 p.m. Thursday...

http://www.wdef.com/news/state/stor...btack-in-windpipe/6BHZgdqepkiiKNF0CVOCjQ.cspx

The child had been dead for several hours
when emergency personnel arrived on scene, according to a report.

(Picture on this article.)

http://www.starhq.com/2012/01/17/toddler-dies-after-swallowing-thumbtack/

another concern was that “the living conditions were deplorable.”

http://www.timesnews.net/article/90...toddler-found-dead-with-thumbtack-in-windpipe

Wow. This makes me sick. Yet another family who doesn't check on their child for a ridiculous amount of time. I can't even begin to wrap my head around that.

About the only thing I can say is at least they didn't try to hide his body and say he had been kidnapped.

They stayed up so late so maybe they slept until 1 pm thinking that he would make noise and wake them up when he woke up and wanted changing and feeding, only he didn't because he was dead.

Do they have any other children that would have been awake?

No, I see the obituary doesn't list any siblings among the survivors.

I'm wondering why a child that young wasn't in a crib. Isn't 22 months rather young to be in a bed? Unless he could climb out of the crib. I don't know. Why was there a thumbtack in his room?

They stayed up so late so maybe they slept until 1 pm thinking that he would make noise and wake them up when he woke up and wanted changing and feeding, only he didn't because he was dead.

Do they have any other children that would have been awake?

No, I see the obituary doesn't list any siblings among the survivors.

My daughter will sleep for 8 or 9 hours and then play quietly for another 3 or so.
It drives me NUTS. I WANT her to wake me up when she wakes up and she doesn't.

I'm wondering why a child that young wasn't in a crib. Isn't 22 months rather young to be in a bed? Unless he could climb out of the crib. I don't know. Why was there a thumbtack in his room?

We have pushpins all over because that is originally what was used to put up all the things on the walls. :banghead:

I haven't had a single child that was still in a crib at 22 months. Doctors advise taking them out of the crib when they begin climbing, to prevent accidents. All of mine have been in a toddler bed by about 18 months because by that point, they were climbing well enough that the crib was both useless and dangerous.

As far as why there was a tack in the baby's room, there are plenty of tacks in plenty of babies rooms, just to hold things on the walls, but in this case, because they cited deplorable living conditions, there were likely a lot of things in a lot of places they didn't belong.

I can't understand not checking on a kid for that long. That's the part of this that just can't be explained away for me. I think that longest I've ever gone without checking on mine was 8 hours, and that was because I was too sick with the flu to get out of bed and check on them.

Thanks NMK. I think I kept my daughter in the crib longer, but she wasn't a climber. My memory is really bad so I'm not sure. Thanks for the information.

I remember waking up in a panic one morning when my baby was about 10 months old. It was about 9 am and I hadn't heard a peep on the monitor, which is why I was still asleep.

I leapt out of bed, ran down the hall, and burst into her room, already feeling the hysteria rising.

She was sleeping peacefully, awoke when I barged in, and sat up smiling and happy.

I have never felt more foolish or relieved in my life. I know I am a bit extreme, but how can anyone not check on a baby for 14 hours?

Shameful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow