UK UK - Millom, Cumbria, Boy, 1-2, in Redhills tip, severed legs, Dec'89

Robin Hood

Reaction score
The tip is no longer functioning as a tip, was unmarked on maps and was well out of the way of the town; you’d have to make a conscious decision to go there, you wouldn’t drive past it. Suggesting local knowledge.

Perhaps the body was concealed in a local bin and ended up there as part of a bin wagon load or could have been concealed directly at the site.

The main man in some of these articles could be seen as having an unhealthy obsession in the case. He was originally from the town but moved away as a child when he was taken into care. He allegedly gets new information passed to him all the time and “knows” the baby was from somewhere in between Millom and Egremont. Apparently he’s been searching for answers since the baby was found but only started making public appeals around 10 years ago. For some reason he thinks the baby should be named the same name as him. He was diagnosed with cancer earlier in the year so might make more of his knowledge public as the end nears.

The police never made public what the significance of their DNA evidence was.

I've never heard of this wee boy before, granted I was just a toddler myself at the time. Off to have a good google. How can no-one notice a wee one has just disappeared?

Good luck with that, there’s a handful of stories that each newspaper etc. puts their own spin on.

They searched the whole of the North West in the aftermath and accounted for every registered boy in the age range. There’s plenty of isolated farms and houses in the local area; so it’s possible that someone could have a child and nobody know about it other than the parents.

There doesn’t appear to be any clues other than the DNA evidence the Police say they have, but haven’t shared details.

All links seems to be timing out so here are few bits from articles what are still out there:

Published - 17 March 2000
Murder squad arrest man over baby left on tip

A man was arrested yesterday in connection with the death of a baby boy in Cumbria more than a decade ago. The move follows a renewed police appeal for information in December, the 10th anniversary of the body's discovery.

The mutilated and badly burned body of the boy was found by a council workman at a tip in Millom, Cumbria, on 1 December, 1989. An inquest found that he was between 12 and 18 months old but could not establish a cause of death.
---
In December, an anonymous caller contacted police with information. A man from the Egremont area near Whitehaven, Cumbria, believed to be in his fifties, was arrested after several hours' questioning yesterday. Police also conducted door-to-door inquiries in the Whitehaven area.

A police spokesman said: "We have kept the inquiry open since [the discovery of the body], with around 50 officers working on the case over the years. The people of Millom were very shocked by it and had the baby buried in the local church at their expense.
---
Millom town council lays a wreath at the baby's grave every Christmas and local children still place their old teddy bears next to the headstone in the parish church. The inscription reads simply: "A small boy child of Jesus Christ lies here, aged 18 months."

Murder squad arrest man over baby left on tip
===
11 September, 2003 Possible link to baby's death

Detectives investigating the death of a baby girl, whose body was found encased in concrete, say they are not ruling out a possible link with a similar death 13 years ago.

The remains of a six month-old baby was found in a garage in Barepot near Workington a year ago.

Police say the body could have laid undiscovered for up to 15 years.

Now Cumbria Police say they have not ruled out links with the death of a baby boy in Millom in 1989.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Cumbria | Possible link to baby's death
(You can find more on horrific case of baby Jane Doe nicknamed Laura when you put into google - Babies Entombed In Concrete)
===
1 December 2009 Fresh probe into baby body find

Twenty years after the discovery of a baby's body at a Cumbrian rubbish tip, police have assigned a new team of detectives to try to solve the case.

The discovery, on Millom's Red Hills tip on 1 December 1989, sparked one of the biggest inquiries in the county.

It involved officers tracing 6,098 registered children to ensure they were safe and accounted for.
---
Det Ch Supt Iain Goulding, said: "When it was found the body was badly burnt and mutilated so we have been unable to establish the cause of death.

"We cannot rule out that the boy may have died naturally, however it is unlikely, and an 18-month-old child should not end up on a tip.

"We still firmly believe the answers lie in the local community and we are urging people to work with us to bring closure to this case."

BBC News - Fresh probe into baby body find
===
1st December 2009 Breakthrough in Millom baby case

DETECTIVES say they now have concrete DNA evidence which could lead to a 20-year-old murder investigation being cracked.

The charred and mutilated body of a baby boy was found by a council worker on the Redhills tip in Millom on December 1, 1989.

No one has ever been arrested in connection with the death of the child, known locally as the “Millom tip baby”.

But, on the 20th anniversary of the grim discovery today, investigating office Detective Inspector Doug Marshall said: “Over the last few months we have been carrying out further forensic work on the case and we now have irrefutable DNA evidence which will be crucial to solving this case.

“It will allow us to easily eliminate people from our enquiries so if anyone thinks they know someone who was in some way involved, please get in touch as a quick mouth swab can rule them out of the enquiry and put your mind at rest.”
---
When Millom tip workman Mike Gilbert made the discovery he thought he had found the broken remains of a child’s plastic doll.

The Haverigg man, who died in the mid 90s, went to investigate and was shocked to discover the badly burnt body of a baby boy, aged between a year and 18 months old.

Both of the child’s legs had been severed.

Breakthrough in Millom baby case
===

24th January 2018
Egremont man's final campaign for Millom baby

Well-known Egremont man Donald Eaton is desperate to get justice for the baby found dead on a Millom tip after being diagnosed with cancer.

The 66-year-old has campaigned for the past 28 years to get justice for the baby boy whose body was dumped on Redhills tip in December 1989.
---
"I'm devastated that I have cancer," he said. "But I shall campaign until my last breath for the baby and will never stop. I want him to have a name before I die."

Each year on the anniversary of the find, Mr Eaton, who is originally from Millom, washes the baby's headstone and lays down toys and flowers, but was unable to last month.

"This December was the first in 28 years that I didn't visit the baby, as I was in hospital," he said.

"But I hope that baby boy will be my guardian angel and pull me through this terrible illness."
---
He contacted the BBC TV programme Crimewatch 10 years ago to see if it would show a reconstruction of events, however this never happened.

And four years ago, he had the appeal printed on a number of tops, which he wears throughout the year, asking for the public's help to solve the case.
---
A Cumbria Police spokeswoman confirmed today that the case was still open and investigations continue.

Egremont man's final campaign for Millom baby

===
3rd December 2018
Dying man makes 'last trip' to mark death of baby found dead on tip

A DYING man has made what he thinks will be his final trip to the grave of a baby boy who was found dead on a tip near Millom.

Donald Eaton has been visiting the grave of the tot found at Redhills tip on December 1 1989 every year to pay his respects.

This year Mr Eaton did not know whether he would be able to make it because he has been receiving treatment for bowel cancer.

But he successfully made the journey on Friday, the day before the anniversary, to lay a wreath at the unnamed boy’s grave.

This is the 29 year anniversary of the boy's death.
---
“This could be the last year that I visit and I think it probably will be.

“I think I’ll be in heaven soon, and when I am I’ll be able to tell the little boy I did everything I could to try to get justice for him.

“I’ve done everything I can in the past to try to find out who his parents are and get justice for him." He added: “I’m upset and heartbroken that this has never been solved but I’m at peace with the fact I’ve done everything I can over the years.”

Dying man makes 'last trip' to mark death of baby found dead on tip

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304