Cincinnati High School Paying Students To Come To School

TrackerSam

Reaction score
A Cincinnati high school is paying its students to come to school.

The Dohn Community High School has launched a $40,000 incentive program to get students to come to class.

The school’s CEO Ken Furrier told CBS Cleveland that students will get Visa gift cards for showing up everyday for school, being on time for class and not getting into trouble. Seniors would get $25 while underclassmen would get $10.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2012/02/13/cincinnati-high-school-paying-students-to-come-to-school/

We pay for the education, and in some schools kids are getting 3 free meals a day, and now they're being paid to go to school. :waitasec:

Yeah I saw this. And I am very much against it. I think it sets the wrong message. Kids should be focused on going to school because that is what they are supposed to do. Not because they get paid to go. Later in life will they expect to get paid for taking care of any kids they have?

Now I could get behind more of school involvement program, where the kids attend their classes, assist in maintence and operation of the school and get paid for it. That way the attending school was because they are supposed to, the extra involvement would be for the betterment of the school and would give them something to do to keep them off the streets and would hopefully foster a school pride and relationship to the school.

It's a charter school in Ohio, enough said. I've not yet heard of a decent one - the entire charter school program in Ohio is a joke.

It's no wonder this school has to pay kids to attend. High schools as they are now programed are very boring for most kids.

Part of education's problem is not educating kids for anything. The current idea is that all kids need to go to college. Where are technical programs for retail? electricians? carpenters? plumbers? beauticians? auto repair?

Thing about it. We all need these services, and they provide a good employment, yet anyone wishing to go into these fields rather than college needs to pay for it after high school. Ridiculous.

How can we get educators to realize not everyone wants a college programs and that we need to begin training kids while still in high school?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back