MLB Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter dead of brain cancer at 57

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter dies at 57 (AP)
NEW YORK (AP) -- Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter, whose single for the New York Mets in the 1986 World Series touched off one of the most improbable rallies in baseball, died Thursday. He was 57.

Carter was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor last May, two weeks after finishing his second season as coach at Palm Beach Atlantic University.

"I am deeply saddened to tell you all that my precious dad went to be with Jesus today at 4:10 p.m.," Carter's daughter Kimmy Bloemers wrote on the family website. "This is the most difficult thing I have ever had to write in my entire life but I wanted you all to know."
---
the rest at Associated Press link above

Sports Illustrated has a nice photo gallery documenting Carter's career, here.

So very sad. Montreal will never forget you.

RIP Gary :rose:

carter-gary_940-8col.jpg

Gary Carter Went Out With A Win (Deadspin)
---
He wears an Expos cap in Cooperstown, and that's probably right. For as much as he meant to fans in Flushing, he had something special with the people in Montreal.

In 1992, after a couple of years on the West Coast, Carter came home. On September 27, 1992, in what would be the last at-bat of a 19-year career, he drove a ball the opposite way, over the head of longtime teammate Andre Dawson. It plated Larry Walker, the only RBI in a 1-0 Expos victory. The Olympic Stadium crowd let Carter know exactly how they felt.
at the Deadspin link see the video of the moment above, with an absolutely great Harry Caray call

Any true BB fan remembers Gary Carter. I really enjoyed watching him play back in the day. Sad to lose him at such a young age. Prayers said for his family and friends.

Sleep peacefully Gary. :rose:

Thanks for the memories Gary...

MEET THE METS, MEET THE METS,
Step right up and greet the Mets!
Bring your kiddies, bring your wife;
Guaranteed to have the time of your life
because the Mets are really sockin' the ball;
knocking those home runs over the wall!
East side, West side,
everybody's coming down
to meet the M-E-T-S Mets of New York town!

R.I.P. Gary Carter

Although I did not follow his career or even know who he was, I am always deeply saddened to learn of anyone dying of a malignant brain tumor. Considering the length of time that passed between his diagnosis and death, I am certain that Gary Carter fought valiantly to defeat this horrible disease. Unfortunately it is a no-win situation most of the time.

Heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and fans.

Here's a link to the "final career hit" video again - MLB (prigs!) killed the link at Deadspin:

http://atmlb.com/wjMlt1

An emotional moment for Expos fans indeed. Heck - for baseball fans anywhere. Storybook moment.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back