Rock may be uncool but it's not dead yet: it's the music of the aging

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Thoughtful essay on the music from Guardian's John Harris. The trouble with it is, he's right.

Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan? That's the sound of ageing
---
"Rock is dead – deo gratias," wrote one Guardian online reader over the weekend, reflecting a very common assumption. But that's wrong: in fact, the music is alive, and packing people in – it's just that it's finally settled in on the wrong (no, the right side) of the generation gap.
---
On 18 June this year, Paul McCartney will turn 70. "There's a little cell in my brain that's never going to believe that," he says in the latest issue of Rolling Stone magazine, though there are signs of the burdens of old age starting to arrive.
---
The avowedly clean-living Ringo Starr will soon be 72. Bob Dylan is 71. Further down the age range, John Lydon, aka Johnny Rotten, has just celebrated his 56th birthday – which makes him old enough (just) to be George Osborne's dad.
---
All of which proves two things: that rock music and the culture it spawned are getting on a bit; and that anyone who can convincingly call themselves young will want nothing to do with either.
---
More at link above. (Incidentally, George Osbourne is the Chancellor of the Exchequer of the United Kingdom.)

Yes, there was quite a Twitter kerfuffle about the "Who is Paul McCartney?" thing. Most opinions, no matter age group, were of the HOW DUMB CAN YOU GET! variety. (Thank God, I should add, lol.)

I used to love it when one of my kids' friends would come to the house saying there was a way cool song out and find out it was something from the 60s, lol Gotta love it.

"Rock and roll is here to stay, / It will never die. / It was meant to be that way / Though I don't know why." (Danny and the Juniors, 1958) I'd always sort of taken that as an article of faith. Now - not so much.

"Rock and roll is here to stay, / It will never die. / It was meant to be that way / Though I don't know why." (Danny and the Juniors, 1958) I'd always sort of taken that as an article of faith. Now - not so much.

b/c it's an article of fact. Right?

Im sure my 19 and 24 year old sons who are both a working, touring rock bassist and guitarist respectivly ,will be amused to learn their music is 'Music of the Aging'.
Maybe if your a clueless 20 year old wannabe hipster whose only point of reference is the auto-tuned pap ladled out by the likes of American Idol and Nickelback.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back