GUILTY UK - Andrew Burls for arson during London riots, 2011

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Done in by strabismus.

Cross-eyed rioter caught by police who noticed his distinctive gaze is jailed for eight years over £1m arson attack (Daily Mail)
A cross-eyed arsonist who set fire to a shop and post office during the August riots has been jailed for eight years, after police spotted his unusual eyes on CCTV.

Andrew Burls, 23, started blazes at Regen's Lingerie boutique in Rye Lane, Peckham, south London, which spread through neighbouring Greggs bakery and a post office in the same street, during riots that spread across the capital last year.

The damage cost more than £1 million and left six people homeless.
---
much more at the link above

Mr Burls is pictured here.

I'm slightly offended. I used to have strabismus (had it surgically corrected). It used to make me sooo self conscious, and now to think people remembered what I did specifically because of it? Mortifying.

Ugh. And mine was far more pronounced than his. Mine turned outward, and it was to the point where part of my iris was covered by my eye socket.

I'm slightly offended. I used to have strabismus (had it surgically corrected). It used to make me sooo self conscious, and now to think people remembered what I did specifically because of it? Mortifying.

Ugh. And mine was far more pronounced than his. Mine turned outward, and it was to the point where part of my iris was covered by my eye socket.

I was a bit worried about the "offending" factor when I posted it. Apologies. I think, though, that this Mr Burls was specifically noted and interest was taken because a person was seen on cctv starting an arson fire. The visual identification was due to a specific incident, which necessitated police to take a hard look at the video. Otherwise, in a crowd of rioters - or in any sort of crowd - he would not have stood out particularly.

I have a half-brother who had the same eye problem...he had the surgery too but back in the 50's it really didn't seem to help much...but I can tell you everybody was used to it and didn't even notice because he had such a funny, happy personality. He was a big roller-skater and I used to love going to watch him...they would let him have the whole rink to himself and he could do all kinds of figure eights, jumps and other fancy figures...when I was a teen, he was my hero!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back