Girl Scouts praised as "wonderful experience" by senior who prospered by its values

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
How Girl Scouts helped her ‘become person I am’ (Chicago Sun-Times)
On Mar. 12, 1912, widowed socialite Juliette Gordon Low founded the American Girl Guides — later the Girl Scouts — with 18 girls in Savannah, Ga. Its mission: Building self-reliance and citizenship.

In 1917, the first African-American troop was started. The Girl Scouts stayed segregated until a strong ’50s integration push led the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1956 to call it “a force for desegregation.”
In spite of its being then-segregated, its lessons lasted a lifetime:
Barbara Wilbourne, 82, of Savannah, joined one of the first African-American troops there in 1941.
---
“Before 1943, Savannah was segregated, and Afro-American Girl Scouts did not exist,” she said. “I am not sure why a change was made, but I was invited to join Troop 61 with about 12 other Afro-American girls. We were excited to become a part of the group.
---
“Scouting was a wonderful experience for me. With God, family and Girl Scouting, I have been helped to become the person I am today. Scouting experiences helped me to learn how to get along with people, develop good study habits and a deep love for God, and it helped me to become a good citizen and an understanding mother. I was able to complete my bachelor’s degree at Savannah State College with honors. I became an elementary school teacher in 1951 and a Girl Scout leader in 1952.”
---
Proud organization, one which helps change its times for the better:
Today, the Girl Scouts is thought the largest educational organization for girls in the world, with 3.7 million members internationally.
much more at link above

Let's try to concentrate on the overwhelmingly positive image of Scouting which the organization has built up in its one hundred years in existence. That is the purpose of this thread - to celebrate its positive values in the centennial year of its existence.

Let's try to concentrate on the overwhelmingly positive image of Scouting which the organization has built up in its one hundred years in existence. That is the purpose of this thread - to celebrate its positive values in the centennial year of its existence.

Girl scouts changed (and continues) to change a lot of lives for the better.
http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-207_162-2709121.html

I don't even like cookies, but I see the scouts outside Walmart with their troop leaders, and can't help but buy them. I love the diversity, the positive you-can-do-this attitude. :)
Hey there's always someone who wants a cookie, right?!

Thin Mints are crack. 'Nuff said.

I see the girl scouts, and absolutely HAVE to purchase the Thin Mint cookies, no matter what else happens. I could be in a 9.0 earthquake, things falling down around me, and I'll save the Thin Mints before any thing/one else.

Other than the evil influence of their Thin Mints, I agree...Scouting in general, and Girl Scouting, is a wonderful, enormously good opportunity. I was involved for a long time in my wild youth, and it was a ball. I can still think back on those meetings, and smile...

Best-
Herding Cats

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee