U.S.-born journalist Marie Colvin dead as Syria targets press center, Feb 2012

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
First Anthony Shadid's death, now this. The Syrian war waxes ever more deadly. Assad must go.

Did Syrian army deliberately shell US reporter? Marie Colvin was
warned 'if they find you they will kill you' days before rocket attack
(Daily Mail)
Syrian forces may have murdered Marie Colvin after pledging to kill 'any journalist who set foot on Syrian soil', it was claimed today.

The 55-year-old Sunday Times reporter died alongside French photographer Remi Ochlik, 28, in a rocket attack on the besieged city of Homs this morning.

Communication between Syrian Army officers intercepted by Lebanese intelligence staff has revealed that direct orders were issued to target the makeshift press centre in which Colvin had been broadcasting.

If journalists were successfully killed, then the Syrians were told to make out that they had died accidentally in fire fights with terrorist groups, the radio traffic revealed.
---
In 2010 Ms. Colvin spoke of the dangers of her profession:
'Covering a war means going to places torn by chaos, destruction, and death... and trying to bear witness. It means trying to find the truth in a sandstorm of propaganda when armies, tribes or terrorists clash,' she said at the event in St Bride's Church, Fleet Street.

'And yes, it means taking risks, not just for yourself but often for the people who work closely with you.

'Despite all the videos you see from the Ministry of Defence or the Pentagon, and all the sanitised language describing smart bombs and pinpoint strikes... the scene on the ground has remained remarkably the same for hundreds of years.

'Craters. Burned houses. Mutilated bodies. Women weeping for children and husbands. Men for their wives, mothers, children.'
---
huge account of the Syrian war, and of this brave woman, with pictures and video, at link above

Marie Colvin's final report, from Baba Amr, where she was the only British-based journalist reporting the war; Sunday Times, 19 February 2012:

‘We live in fear of a massacre'
---
It is a city of the cold and hungry, echoing to exploding shells and bursts of gunfire. There are no telephones and the electricity has been cut off. Few homes have diesel for the tin stoves they rely on for heat in the coldest winter that anyone can remember. Freezing rain fills potholes and snow drifts in through windows empty of glass. No shops are open, so families are sharing what they have with relatives and neighbours. Many of the dead and injured are those who risked foraging for food.
---
much more at Sunday Times link above

[video=youtube;zn_vwVLzbp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn_vwVLzbp0&feature=plcp&context=C3c978cbUDOEgsToPDskKIYyq7A6pqmPbskeTrSCTy[/video]

Didn't I just hear a phone report on Anderson Copper 360 last night with Marie where they were showing the film footage of the little two year old boy, who died in front of her eyes in a makeshift hospital from shrapnel wounds?

I could swear it was her?!

SO SAD.

I was even thinking as I watched the report that she must be in grave danger herself, as the entire city was being shelled, was surrounded by snipers who are ready to shoot anyone trying to escape, with NO WHERE for occupants to go or run; only able to hide on the bottom floors of their buildings, hoping to survive while waiting for help (us) to do something.

I am just sick over this.

ETA- yes, it was her last night in Homs, Syria. Heart breaking and so very sad. I would imagine Anderson and her colleagues are just devastated over her death. She was a very brave, intelligent woman- RIP Marie Colvin

Didn't I just hear a phone report on Anderson Copper 360 last night with Marie where they were showing the film footage of the little two year old boy, who died in front of her eyes in a makeshift hospital from shrapnel wounds?

I could swear it was her?!

SO SAD.

I was even thinking as I watched the report that she must be in grave danger herself, as the entire city was being shelled, was surrounded by snipers who are ready to shoot anyone trying to escape, with NO WHERE for occupants to go or run; only able to hide on the bottom floors of their buildings, hoping to survive while waiting for help (us) to do something.

I am just sick over this.
Yes. That was Marie Colvin.

Marie Colvin Dead: Sunday Times Reporter Called Into Anderson Cooper's CNN Show on Tuesday (Huffington Post)

with video, more, at link

Well wfgodot, sad to say- maybe the US and France will do something now that our own have been targeted and murdered.

Thank god they have the intercepted orders for the attack so that the lies attempted by the regime would be seen for what they are- LIES!

I feel we cannot just sit back and watch these people be massacred. I don't usually like to see us get involved in other skirmishes, but this is not that, and I don't see how we can sit back and not do something to save these innocent children, women, and men.

ETA wfgodot- spelled properly!

Those who witness the brutality and write about the injustice and give voice to the voiceless victims of catastrophic circumstance are the only angels in this whole damned world.

My friend, Marie Colvin (blogs.channel4.com, by Lindsey Hilsum)
---
Her dispatch in last week’s Sunday Times was as painful and brilliant a piece of war reporting as I have ever read. Her description of 300 people, huddled in a wood factory cellar known as “the widows’ basement” under constant bombardment was searing. Yesterday, speaking on Skype from the house in Baba Amr, the district of Homs where she was staying, she described watching a baby die. “This is the worst we’ve ever seen,” she told me. “And they’re getting away with it.”

She said “we” because she and I have been in many war zones together, but Marie always went further and stayed longer than almost anyone else. It was partly because, as a Sunday newspaper journalist, she had more time, and partly because she was just braver.We drove out of Jenin together after the Israeli siege. My team had been in for a few hours, while she had spent several days living in a Palestinian house, experiencing the bombardment and the demolitions by armoured bulldozers alongside them.
---
more, a sterling appreciation of the woman, at link above

Such an amazing woman very brave, my heart goes out to her family. All the people who are dying and being killed out there is awful.

Colleague Ian Birrell in Daily Mail:

'Reports of my survival may be exaggerated': My brave friend Marie Colvin and a passion for speaking the truth
---
Her sympathies were always with the victims of violence.
---
‘Our mission is to speak truth to power,’ she once said. ‘We send home that first rough draft of history.’
---
She liked to do things her own way: When a smoking ban came into force at the Sunday Times, she blithely turned up with three packets of cigarettes and puffed away at her desk; typically, no one dared stop her.
---
Another time, she claimed on expenses for expensive underwear stolen in East Timor – later telling Vogue in an interview that such items were essential for a woman in a war zone.
---
a lengthy appreciation of this brave woman at link above

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998