Kanye's Sham Charity

SwampMama

Insomniac Extraordinaire
Reaction score
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/report-kanye-west-charity-spending-20120221-ncx

"Updated: Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012, 3:32 PM EST
Published : Tuesday, 21 Feb 2012, 2:52 PM EST

By THE DAILY

NEWSCORE - Hip-hop superstar Kanye West's charity spent more than a half-million dollars in 2010 — but none of that money went to actual charitable causes, The Daily reported Tuesday.

An analysis of federal tax filings reveals that in 2010, the Kanye West Foundation had expenditures totaling $572,383, with the majority going to salaries and other overhead expenses.

Meanwhile, the charity gave nothing to charity that year. According to its tax return, West's foundation made precisely $0 in contributions, gifts and grants.

And this isn't the first time the Kanye West Foundation has given celebrity charities a bad rap.

In 2009, it was slightly more frugal, spending $553,826 — but of that amount, just $583 went toward charitable endeavors.

Nonprofit watchdog group Charity Navigator suggests no more than 15 percent of a charity's cash flow should go toward administration or overhead. The Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance recommends charities spend at least 65 percent of their total expenses on program activities.

The Kanye West Foundation failed to satisfy either of those standards. The majority of the organization's expenses — $339,829 of it — was spent on salaries, wages and benefits.

Another $111,250 went toward "professional fees," $56,920 on similarly ambiguous "other expenses," and $48,385 on "travel, conferences and meetings."

more at link....

Why am i not surprised by this? What a scam. i dont even know what his charity is supposed to support but it seems it is just there to give cushy jobs to his family or cronies. Nice pay for doing little more than spending money and ignoring those that you claim to be helping.

http://starcasm.net/archives/145216

"Nothing, not a penny man. Charity… You’re doing it wrong!

For some perspective, FoxNews.com reports that The Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance recommends charities spend at least 65 percent of their total expenses on program activities – translated – charity. That would be 65% as opposed to not-jack%.

Here’s a breakdown of the majority of the 2010 expenditures:

-> Salaries, Wages, Benefits $339,829
-> Professional Fees $111,250
-> “Other Expenses” $56,920
-> Travel, Conferences, Meetings $48,385

Let’s give credit where it’s due though. Kanye personally donated almost $90,000 to the foundation in 2010 while his company, West Brands, gave an additional $35,000. This was more than all other contributors combined. West also got proactive by shuttering the failing foundation shortly after the end of 2010.

Former executive director Joseph Collins told The Daily that the Kanye West Foundation is currently, “in the process of being dissolved.”

Thanks Swamp. Was ready to bash him but will give him credit due to you,
even though I do not like him. He deserves credit...

: Goz

Thanks Swamp. Was ready to bash him but will give him credit due to you,
even though I do not like him. He deserves credit...

: Goz

I'm totally confused Goz. Did I misunderstand any part where he did anything worthy of praise? I'm being serious and i just woke up and am sitting here going "huh??".

I took the latter article "giving him credit" as a sarcastic comment. Yes he "donated" to his charity but likely got a tax deduction for it and then used it to pay his employees and expenses thru the "charity". So it clearly seems to me to be a complete scam where he pretends to be charitable but and his cronies are the only ones who are benefiting.

I'll admit I dont like him. I find him to be pompous and overbearing. His stunt overtaking the stage from Taylor swift to declare Beyonce's video as the best video of all time was classic Kanye. He is an insufferable jerk who decided to go get publicity by hanging with the "occupy" movement while dressed in designer clothes and and wearing ostentatious jewelry.

I'm totally with ya, SwampMama in that I see nothing at all redeeming in the least in the movement of monies into his own charity.. That as you stated was nothing more than a benefit for him personally in way of a little tax break.. It's disgusting just as he, himself is IMO with you giving just one example of the multitudes of incidents that he has personally done that show his true, indignant, self righteous, pompous colors.. He's an embarrassment to mankind in his shallow, self serving world that he lives in as he also throws large, loud and over the top tantrums that make the most ill behavior problem brats of this world look like a meek and mild sheep.. Continue on kanye.. Because there is but one thing that I know for absolute certain and that is that Karma is a real beotch when it finally catches up to your pompous azz!!

Obviously I dislike him and IMO he's only a few rungs short of his pal, Chris Brown(and oh Lord in heaven don't even let me get started on him and now Riannah again, too :furious: )

Sorry :blushing: Rant over :blushing:

Can't stand him.

I'm not surprised about this "charity".

I downloaded three of the foundation tax returns from GuideStar just to have a closer look. I'm certainly no expert at deciphering such forms, but even I could see that the numbers raise a huge lot of questions. What I don't understand is how 'they' could get away with it. There are laws governing the formation and annual requirements for such organizations.

From the article linked in the OP:

"The IRS would be very interested in those expenses," said former IRS Exempt Organizations Division director Marc Owens, now a lawyer in Washington, D.C. "Sounds like they had a kind of a sloppy back office."

My comment: At the very least!

I'm totally with ya, SwampMama in that I see nothing at all redeeming in the least in the movement of monies into his own charity.. That as you stated was nothing more than a benefit for him personally in way of a little tax break.. It's disgusting just as he, himself is IMO with you giving just one example of the multitudes of incidents that he has personally done that show his true, indignant, self righteous, pompous colors.. He's an embarrassment to mankind in his shallow, self serving world that he lives in as he also throws large, loud and over the top tantrums that make the most ill behavior problem brats of this world look like a meek and mild sheep.. Continue on kanye.. Because there is but one thing that I know for absolute certain and that is that Karma is a real beotch when it finally catches up to your pompous azz!!

Obviously I dislike him and IMO he's only a few rungs short of his pal, Chris Brown(and oh Lord in heaven don't even let me get started on him and now Riannah again, too :furious: )

Sorry :blushing: Rant over :blushing:

BBM.. yes, lol, I will not get you started on that if you dont get me started. I fear that the unleashing of our mutual flaming smilies :furious::furious: might cause spontaneous combustion or computers melting all over WSland.

BBM.. yes, lol, I will not get you started on that if you dont get me started. I fear that the unleashing of our mutual flaming smilies :furious::furious: might cause spontaneous combustion or computers melting all over WSland.

:floorlaugh:.. lol boy do I agree and I'd hate to melt my new little tablet (tho I hate the keyboard:D)..come to think of it it's a very good thing that I've not ever come upon a Chris Brown thread here at ws.. lord could you even imagine the "melting" of keyboards worldwide!!!.. lol

Hey swamp mama I tried your link about thetragedy about your students brutal murder and it's a link to Kim kardashian without make up(speaking of other irritants..lol).. just wanted you to know so you could fix it..I'm interested in reading about it..

I think if we counted up the celebrities with tax-dodge charity organizations, we'd have a long list. I'd like to see that list, actually.

I think if we counted up the celebrities with tax-dodge charity organizations, we'd have a long list. I'd like to see that list, actually.

I would as well!

The one of the delinquent taxpayers in CA as linked elsewhere was more than disturbing. I'm quite sure none of those listed is living under a bridge.

ETA link

Quote: As of 02/17/2012 , the amount due on this list totals $122,948,738.92.

I must have read it wrong. so sorry, was sleeping.

Thanks swamp.

I must have been reading two posts.. Doe!!

As stated, he is garbage....
good day

Hey swamp mama I tried your link about thetragedy about your students brutal murder and it's a link to Kim kardashian without make up(speaking of other irritants..lol).. just wanted you to know so you could fix it..I'm interested in reading about it..

Oh wow, thanks for letting me know. Ms Kardashian is enough to make me want to burst into flame also so how ironic that the link when to her. I am fixing it now.

Oh the irony!

And not even a year later...

Eye yey yey.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member