State vs. Jason Lynn Young 2-23-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

otto

Verified Expert
Reaction score
NC Court Times:

11:00 - 1:00 (delayed: jury member medical apt.)
2:30 - 5:00

Live Link:

http://www.wral.com/news/video/10690077/

Does anyone actually believe that Jason Young is not guilty in the murder of his pregnant wife ... anyone defending not guilty and questioning why he didn't take a plea bargain? I think the question some people have is whether there is sufficient evidence for a conviction.

I think it's going to be a home run for the prosecution.

All that reasonable doubt adds up to excuses, not explanations.

Bringing Over the Last Four Posts from Last Thread

Oh, how I wish my long-ago divorce from my first husband had been in North Carolina instead of Pennsylvania. Here, alimony is not automatically granted and judges seem to require a really good reason for it, such as a disparity in assets and earning power between the parties. Also, the misbehavior of a party does not enter into the alimony decision. BUT behaviors and misbehaviors may be considered during equitable distribution. And in my case they were factored in, so I got a very favorable distribution. I've also heard that alot depends on the individual judge, so maybe I just got lucky.

Jason Young case - Well, folks, I am from the North and yes, the trial is moving slowly. I did not see the first trial, which others have said moved too fast.

But it does not seem to bother me as much as it is bothering those of you who live in the area. Don't know why that is, because you all should be more in tune with the slower pace of things, right?

I thought showing the JY testimony from the first trial was brilliant. The "televising" of the testimony takes a lot of the "heat" and "immediacy" out of his PERFORMANCE. And that's what it was. I did go back and watch his trial testimony from the first trial. I would bet his fakey-ness showed up more when shown up on a screeen than in person.

I thought the testimony of the teachers was so, so powerful. Hope they hold up those dolls and highlight that testimony in closing arguments, because that was powerful stuff.

Prosecution needs to not make the close about JY's infidelities - the jury surely gets that. They must make it about the pieces of the puzzle and about a pregnant mother and her daughter in that bloody bedroom. They need to concentrate on setting the scene as mother and daughter were discovered, with babydoll and child's blanket placed near the dead mother. How glad everyone is that the child is still alive. But the question must be asked, why is this child still alive?

The murderer was obviously in a frenzy of striking the victim. Thirty blows! And here I would like to have the prosecutors actually administer 30 blows - perhaps to a doll. Or even onto a table, if they can't bring themselves to use a doll. But that jury needs to HEAR thirty blows. That is quite some spanking!

The tiny, bloody footprints and the condition of the bathroom actually tell a story. There is blood all over that bathroom floor - on the stool, behind the door, even on the lower portion of the wall. And it appears there are "patterns" of blood in some places, like perhaps a small foot was being rubbed back and forth on the tile floor in order to make that pattern. To a two and a half year old, "making a pattern" with her foot would be fascinating. Sort of like painting. And the child would have no concept that the "paint" was her mother's blood.

Now, how does a small child get to the point of sitting down and placing their feet up against the lowest portion of the wall in the bathroom? Perhaps when they are closed up into that bathroom for some amount of time? A murderer who shuts a bloody child into a bathroom? A murderer who cleans a child? A murderer who discards a child's dirty pull-up?

At closing, the Prosecutors need to pull out all stops. Summon up all the bloody gore of this crime scene along with the horrendous nature of the head injuries that killed this young, pregnant mother. Anatomy of a head injury, indeed.

God, I hope they get him this time!

OMGoodness! AlwaysShocked:

You need to call this pros ASAP and send them your post.

Awesome presentation and tells it like it was and should be presented to the jury.

JMHO
fran

<snipped>

I agree that seeing a video of Jason bantering with the prosecutor was more powerful than anything he said. It revealed a clever combativeness that so disarmed the prosecutor that she forgot to ask the important questions. He was so quick on his feet ... but I don't think that means the prosecutors need to retire. Murderers, clever ones especially, have a way with people. He should have been questioned by a male.

I too found the testimony from the daycare employees powerful. Mothers would know what that meant ... and there are 8/4 female on the jury. My only hope is that if this is a turning point, no jury member ever disclose that fact.

If you think Jason is innocent, why would you think he should take a plea ?

He seems hooped, just like Cooper with the cisco explanation and excuses ... Cooper and Young ... roommates for life.

If you were Jason, would you make a run for it?

Thanks for the new thread :)

If I were Jason, I would not make a run for it because I'm cocky as all get out and there is no question in my mind that I'll get off scott-free.

I guess Abaroa is the next house guest ... and maybe Mike Peterson can be squeezed in ... and what about that Caesar guy that fled to Mexico after murdering a pregnant co-worder on a military base in NC?

Then there's the pregnant woman that was beaten to death on her way to work around the back of her first newpaper delivery location in NC. There was no sexual assault. Is it cheaper to murder than divorce in NC?

They need a home run to clean up the state problem of many women being murdered by partners or father's of unborn children ...

... and hopefully, no more false convictions.

Thanks for the new thread :)

If I were Jason, I would not make a run for it because I'm cocky as all get out and there is no question in my mind that I'll get off scott-free.

Jason can't be that cocky. That's foolishness that could lead to losses in gambling and life in jail. I think he will be convicted.

If he knew that, would he make a run for it ... to Argentina maybe .. and his family would sacrifice? Land bonds means ... potentially out on the street. Would Jason do that to his family knowing that the trade off was his life in jail ... if you can settle it with money, you got off easy?

Jason can't be that cocky. That's foolishness that could lead to losses in gambling and life in jail. I think he will be convicted.

If he knew that, would he make a run for it ... to Argentina maybe .. and his family would sacrifice? Land bonds means ... potentially out on the street. Would Jason do that to his family knowing that the trade off was his life in jail ... if you can settle it with money, you got off easy?

Jason killed his wife, so skipping out on some family members' bonds isn't going to affect him much I'd gather. But like others have said, he is pretty arrogant and cocky, so maybe he thinks he'll get off and has no reason to leave. Where would he go? He has no passport so he can't get far - except maybe Mexico.

I believe he is guilty like most everyone else, but am not confident with this trial. We sit and dissect all of the little pieces; the jury has not (or will not perhaps). When they stopped with Spivey yesterday I wanted to throw my computer - a similar reaction I had last year with BH and JY. Of course all of JY's lies would have taken the court into overtime, but they could have been a lot more effective with Spivey's rehashing of the testimony and facts.

I have confidence in the prosecution and jury in that even though it looks like a pingpong slam from the outisde, it's well laid out.

The child's testimony was unambiguous.

I don't think that Spivey was a strong witness, but he worked in terms of getting previous testimony into evidence ... where Jason started bantering with the prosecution - an answer for everything.

Method to madness ...

He could pulll a Roman Polanski, or has the world become too small?

I believe any reasonable person can conclude that JY is guilty as charged. There are two primary geographical points in this case; the hotel and the residence on birchleaf. At each point activity is consistent with the defendant doing what he needs to do to achieve his objective.
Motive: He told us in emails that it was on his mind (a life without Michelle), there would be financial advantages

I believe that the prosecution would be well served using a map with defined time frames and paths taken by JY to accomplish his task. I think the jury needs to see in concise terms how the prosecution think it happened, on a board situated so the jury can see the defendant seated at the defense table, in the background.
If a person other than someone who loved CY had been there, I feel she would have been found locked in the bathroom or worse.

Interesting turn of events, otto.
Glad you decided to finally put the white hat on.:cowboy:

I'll be watching you, so no backpedaling LOL

If you were Jason, would you make a run for it?

Interesting question and wondering if this has crossed his and Mrs. Y's mind. Think JY is arrogant enough to think he will walk. :twocents:

ABC Good Morning America did a story on Jason Young this morning. Good piece for the PT. They briefly covered the hotel, showed pictures of MY and CY, talked about CY witnessing her mother's murder and the bloody foot prints.

They also showed the gas station attendants testimony and showed the Day Care worker detailing CY's depiction of the dolls and then saying mommy got a spanking and the red stuff.

They also discussed the use of JY's testimony in his previous trial as part of the PT strategy in this case.

Good presentation - presents a guilty picture IMO.

I believe any reasonable person can conclude that JY is guilty as charged. There are two primary geographical points in this case; the hotel and the residence on birchleaf. At each point activity is consistent with the defendant doing what he needs to do to achieve his objective.
Motive: He told us in emails that it was on his mind (a life without Michelle), there would be financial advantages

I believe that the prosecution would be well served using a map with defined time frames and paths taken by JY to accomplish his task. I think the jury needs to see in concise terms how the prosecution think it happened, on a board situated so the jury can see the defendant seated at the defense table, in the background.
If a person other than someone who loved CY had been there, I feel she would have been found locked in the bathroom or worse.

You're right, the PT totally needs a map and a timeline, something visual and concise and comprehensive to tie this all together. Crikey, a pie chart, a Venn diagram, bar chart, something...anything!

They have enough for a conviction, IMO, but it's all out there like letters in some alphabet soup that's been vigorously stirred. They need to get the letters arranged.

I'm pleased to see optimism this morning...still steaming over yesterday but hopefully the jury can weigh things in a manner that doesn't penalize justice for the prosecution's less than stellar performance. The evidence is so overwhelming and Jason Young's actions before and since he killed Michelle and Rylan scream guilt. But it's up to 12 citizens to convict. Defense had to feel good about yesterday and prosecution better come strong today.

I don't think they'll convict him on the shoes alone. I think the only way this winds up hung or NG is if you get jurors buying into the fact that there would be no way he could be lucky enough in avoiding the cameras in the hotel (beyond unplugging and pushing it to the ceiling). You wouldn't think that be the case, but then again....

IMO, if it winds up hung again in favor of a NG, I find it hard to believe CW would try a 3rd time.

AlwaysShocked wrote: "The murderer was obviously in a frenzy of striking the victim. Thirty blows! And here I would like to have the prosecutors actually administer 30 blows - perhaps to a doll. Or even onto a table, if they can't bring themselves to use a doll. But that jury needs to HEAR thirty blows. That is quite some spanking!"

Excellent point. In the Brad Cooper trial, during the closing arguments HC held a hand to his throat and counted how long she had to be strangled before she died. You could have heard a pin drop in that courtroom. It was very powerful and I think a similar demonstration would be effective in this case.

AlwaysShocked wrote: "The murderer was obviously in a frenzy of striking the victim. Thirty blows! And here I would like to have the prosecutors actually administer 30 blows - perhaps to a doll. Or even onto a table, if they can't bring themselves to use a doll. But that jury needs to HEAR thirty blows. That is quite some spanking!"

Excellent point. In the Brad Cooper trial, during the closing arguments HC held a hand to his throat and counted how long she had to be strangled before she died. You could have heard a pin drop in that courtroom. It was very powerful and I think a similar demonstration would be effective in this case.

I think HC was surprisingly good on that closing. Hopefully, he can be equally effective this time.

I haven't been able to watch much at all this week, so I'm not up-to-date on anything new that has come up.

From what I gather this morning everyone seems to think there will be a guilty verdict this time.

Is there anything about the retrial that you all think would have swayed the 8 jurors in the last trial? What's different this time?

I don't think they'll convict him on the shoes alone. I think the only way this winds up hung or NG is if you get jurors buying into the fact that there would be no way he could be lucky enough in avoiding the cameras in the hotel (beyond unplugging and pushing it to the ceiling). You wouldn't think that be the case, but then again....

IMO, if it winds up hung again in favor of a NG, I find it hard to believe CW would try a 3rd time.

Hung is, in some ways, better than an acquittal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123