FL - "Underwater auto graveyard" may provide crime, missing persons links

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Probably fraud is more in the cards, though.

An underwater auto graveyard: Divers find 25 cars submerged in
Florida lake... and look for links to unsolved murders and fraud
(Daily Mail)
Police have uncovered a graveyard of 25 abandoned cars corroding on the floor of a murky Florida lake.

Fifty feet below the surface of the Pembroke Park lake in Broward County, a dive and rescue effort is underway.
---
Investigators took a closer look at the lake - which sits just west of Interstate 95 between Hallandale Beach Boulevard and Pembroke Road - after an October accident.
---
'It makes it all worth it,' [Sheriff's deputy and dive Sam] Lapinsky told News 10 about solving criminal cases.

'To know the mystery is over for someone - now they can put it to bed. They don't have to wonder anymore what happened,' he said.
---
more, with pictures, at link above

After a personal experience * I am convinced that there are a significant number of missing persons in the millions of bodies of water around the US. A nationawide effort by fisherman with those sonar devices would go a long, long way to relieving some of the heartache families face.

*My cousin Lenny Lamphear was driving home from an out of town meeting, and got lost trying to get back to the highway after buying gas in the middle of the night. He drove down a boat ramp (which looks a LOT like a two-lane country road) and into a reservoir. The ONLY reason he was located? A woman was letting her dogs out and heard the splash. Otherwise, he would still be one of the missing, I'm sure.

There are sooo many bodies of water here (minnesota). There aren't all that many missing people though. 56 according to doenetwork. That's only up to 1998, but that's still not that much. 124 on find the missing.

I shudder to think of the number of bodies to be found in various lakes and rivers, not to mention oceans. It seems unbelievable that so many vehicles are found as well. I know it is far too costly, but I would imagine hundreds of cases could be solved if bodies of water were drained and/or searched every year in every community. JMO

I feel the same way about the missing and water. Especially states that border an ocean, because if someone drives into or is tossed into the ocean, it's almost a guarantee they won't be found, except for a massive stroke of luck.

After a personal experience * I am convinced that there are a significant number of missing persons in the millions of bodies of water around the US. A nationawide effort by fisherman with those sonar devices would go a long, long way to relieving some of the heartache families face.

*My cousin Lenny Lamphear was driving home from an out of town meeting, and got lost trying to get back to the highway after buying gas in the middle of the night. He drove down a boat ramp (which looks a LOT like a two-lane country road) and into a reservoir. The ONLY reason he was located? A woman was letting her dogs out and heard the splash. Otherwise, he would still be one of the missing, I'm sure.

Everytime I drive the Alley (Alligator Alley) I wonder how many bodies are out there?

Yeah, I began to think (well, at least think more deeply than I had) about all the bodies that bodies of water might hold, when two cars and one body - which turned out to be of a man who had disappeared 27 years before - were found in Lake Shawnee, in Topeka KS, which is a nice lake but not exactly Lake Champlain (or even Lake of the Ozarks, or Grand Lake o' the Cherokees), size-wise. It's quite small. Then there was the foot in a tennis shoe in an east Tulsa retention pond, which led to the discovery of another two vehicles and, quite probably, the body of a woman missing since 2006.

I've told this before, but my daughter's father-in-law launched his boat into the St. joseph River near South Bend, IN EVERY WEEK for years and years and years - directly over a car containing a decades-lost missing elderly woman.

I really do think all the fishermen in the country with radar could solve a large number of these cases.

I do alot of fishing both winter and summer and spring and the fall lol how about all year long . Anyway my point was gonna be that I am very familliar with quite a few different kinds of fish finders and all though they do a good job at telling you the depth and the bottom weather there is a drop off or flat but in my oppinion they would never work to find vehicles there just not that dialed in ya they may show a shape but it would be the shape of a rock or a log I think they would misteak so many before they ever got it right that they would ditch the project simply do to cost...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back