NY - Hasker McLeod for robbing his grandmother, Queens, 2003

lisafremont

An open mind shouldn't mean an empty one!
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/253802p-217310c.html

Witness is 81 and on the run

An 81-year-old Queens granny is on the lam after she stood up a Queens jury waiting for her to testify against her own son yesterday.
Ola McLeod was due to testify that her drug-crazed son, Hasker, robbed her last year after tying her up in the family's Jamaica home. When she failed to show, an arrest warrant was issued and cops started searching for her.

But the elderly woman's disappearance does not get Hasker McLeod off the hook. A niece, Felice Franklin, also victimized in the same attack, testified after she was threatened with arrest.

The mother and the niece were "extremely reluctant witnesses," Assistant District Attorney Dianna Megias warned jurors in her opening statement. "They don't want to testify against him because he is family."

Hasker McLeod, 51, admitted tying up Franklin and his mom, stealing $100 and taking his niece's car on Dec. 28, 2003, according to police testimony.

"I told her I love her and asked her if she was comfortable," he allegedly said after his arrest. "I told my mother that I was very sorry for doing this to her and I think I had a drug problem. I gave her a kiss and asked her to pray for me."

Because he is a repeat offender, McLeod, whose criminal record dates to the 1970s, faces life in prison if convicted.

Scott Shifrel

Originally published on November 18, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime_file/story/254291p-217733c.html

Son guilty, mom
still AWOL

BY SCOTT SHIFREL
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Mama come home!
An 81-year-old Queens grandma who dropped out of sight to avoid testifying against her son need not worry about landing in jail, prosecutors said.

Even without his mother's testimony, Hasker McLeod, 51, was convicted yesterday of tying up his mother, Ola McLeod, and her niece in their Jamaica home on Dec. 28.

McLeod, who also was convicted of robbing the niece, faces up to 20 years in prison because of his lengthy record....

Makes me wonder if the mom and niece were afraid to testify in case he didn't get sent away. If my son tied me up and stole my money I sure as heck would testify against him. My son isn't a addict though...they are so unpredictable. To be on the run at 81 yrs old is really pitiful. What will happen to her when she comes home? They won't throw her in jail will they?

No. Read the second article I linked. The son had already been found guilty and they were saying they wouldn't pursue any action against the granny.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back