When finders aren't keepers: $500m galleon treasure to be returned to Spain

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
600,000 coins from sunken galleon being flown to Spain after
five-year legal fight with U.S. treasure hunters for $500m trove
(Daily Mail)
A $500million trove of silver coins recovered from a Spanish galleon sunk by British warships in 1804 was due to be flown from the United States to Spain today in the concluding part of a five-year legal battle.

Spain's ambassador to the U.S., Jorge Dezcallar de Mazar, was expected to watch on when the two Spanish military C-130s take off from a Florida Air Force base with the 17-ton stash.

They will be loaded with 594,000 silver coins and other artefacts, packed into the same white plastic buckets in which they were brought to the U.S. by Florida-based Odyssey Marine Exploration in May 2007.
---
Odyssey - which uses a remote-controlled submersible to explore the depths and bring the tiniest of items to the surface - had previously argued that as the finder it was entitled to all or most of the treasure.

The Spanish government filed a claim in a U.S. District Court soon after the coins were flown back to Tampa, contending that it never relinquished ownership of the ship or its contents.
---
the whole story, with great pictures, at link above

I'm usually pretty honest...But. The spanish gov. isn't even going to reimburse them for expenses. I'm sorry, but I'd have rented a warehouse and melted them down. Silver ingots for me!

Id have taken the whole mess out into the deepest water I could find and dumped it back over board.
Let Spain's lawyers dive for them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back