SUSPECT: Jonathan David Drew

nutkin

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information about Jonathan David Drew? Specifically family members or older friends?

His appeal of his conviction of murder in the abduction/beating death of Tina Flood states that there were two women who testified that they were abducted from/lived in the area of Calder Rd. Also, one woman testified that Drew and another man abducted her, raped her, and threatened to kill her.

Drew isn't old enough to have committed the known Calder Rd. murders, but an older accomplice might be?

http://www.14thcoa.courts.state.tx.us/case/opinions/021402/991323f.pdf

I don't know much about Drew, but that's an interesting theory. Worth looking into.

Jonathan David Drew is suspected in the disappearance of Jessica Cain.

A private investigator claimed that there was a possible link between Cain's disappearance and Jonathan David Drew. Drew was charged with the murder of Tina Michelle Flood in December 1998. He was employed as an automobile mechanic at the time Cain disappeared. The investigator said that Drew had access to a red Isuzu Amigo in August 1997. The Amigo was in the possession of a used car dealership where Drew occasionally worked. It is not known if Drew was the driver of the vehicle spotted behind Cain's truck on the day she disappeared.

http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=369.0

I was looking over my notes and found a link to this article from 1998 when Drew was arrested. The accomplice is mentioned, but I don't remember reading that he was ever arrested. Of the seven women who testified against Drew, only one mentioned a second attacker. She was the victim who was abducted from her car at a traffic light in League City and taken to a trailer where she was repeatedly raped for several hours by Drew and the second man. That crime occurred in November 1997. Whoever the accomplice was, he's likely committed other similar crimes against women. So who was he?

The other victim, abducted while sitting at a League City traffic light on Nov. 22, 1997, said Drew and another man forced their way into her car. They took her to an unknown location and raped her for several hours inside a trailer, threatening to kill her, she said.
http://web.reporternews.com/1998/texas/serial1212.html

The final two women
who testified were strangers to appellant, but lived near Calder Road, a street significant in
Tina’s case. Of these two women, one was grabbed by appellant from behind, cut on the
arm, and chased in circles around her truck before appellant gave up and fled. The other
woman testified that appellant and another man abducted her in her car, drove to an isolated
trailer, and anally and vaginally raped her over several hours. During part of the episode,
appellant carried a knife and threatened to kill her.

This is taken directly from Drew's appeal. I've been researching these cases for years and this is the first time I've found his entire appeal online. I'm trying to link him in some way to one of the other suspects or find a relative that fits in somewhere. I truly believe Drew may be the key in giving a lot of people some closure.

LEAGUE CITY - Ski caps, human teeth and women's underwear were among items confiscated from the former home of a man charged with murdering one woman and attacking two others, according to documents obtained by the Chronicle.
Jonathan David Drew, 25, also is suspected of two rapes and a possible abduction in Austin, a search warrant affidavit filed by League City police Detective Charles Slade states.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/a...derwear-teeth-found-in-search-police-con.html

This is taken directly from Drew's appeal. I've been researching these cases for years and this is the first time I've found his entire appeal online. I'm trying to link him in some way to one of the other suspects or find a relative that fits in somewhere. I truly believe Drew may be the key in giving a lot of people some closure.
Thank you for posting the additional information. I'm really glad you came on board. Regarding Drew, my curiosity is piqued now. He was raping women for at least seven or eight years before he killed Tina Flood. Seven women testified against him in the penalty phase of his trial. There must've been more victims.

Tina was already raped, beaten and half dead when the policeman stopped Drew. If he hadn't been stopped, he would've dumped her and left her to die somewhere. So I wonder where the attack took place? Tina had multiple skull fractures, had been dragged across concrete, and possibly stepped on. That could only have taken place in a remote location. I suppose it must've happened close to the motel, and that's why he didn't leave her there because he knew she'd be found by friends and LE looking for her.

The next question is where would he have left her if he hadn't been stopped. Two of the women who testified lived near Calder Rd, and the appeal states that Calder Rd is significant in Tina's case. If I'm reading the map correctly, FM 270 near Nasa Rd 1 is several miles from Calder Road. So I'm not sure why it would be significant. Anyway, these are just questions that came to mind after I read the appeal.

The accomplice is described as a guy in his 20's, about the same age as Drew. He couldn't have been involved in the early crimes, either. But still, I think Drew definitely could be the perp in other crimes from the 90's with or without an accomplice.

Beside some of the similarities, is there a specific reason why you think he's linked to the earlier crimes?

He abducted at least one woman from a convenience store. And since he seems to have begun this so young (some reported he sexually assaulted them as a teenager), it seems like it was something he had seen somewhere. His crimes don't seem to follow the typical build-up of a serial rapist/killer.

He was 26 when he killed Tina Flood. There were multiple women before that who were at the very least assaulted.

I have an idea who his younger accomplice could potentially be, but I don't think I can really discuss him here. I also have an idea of who an older accomplice could be or who he learned some of his "tricks" from.

I think they say Calder Rd. is significant in Tina's case because his parents owned a home on Calder Rd. with a pond behind it. It was searched on December 2, 1998, and the pond was drained because cadaver dogs led police to it. They found no remains in the pond, but did find a vial with human teeth inside the home. Drew lived in this home with his parents until April 1998, when he moved to Austin.

I cannot say for absolute certain, but I do not believe his parents still own/live in the home on Calder Rd. as records indicate otherwise.

I also wish I could find the location of the trailer that is alluded to by the woman abducted at the stop light at Calder/Main. She was driven to an undisclosed location. I wonder if she was knocked out or blind-folded? If she was still driving or conscious, shouldn't she have some type of recollection of where she was taken? Or maybe that information is just being withheld from the public?

Thanks for the reply. I knew about the search of his parents' home, and I knew he went to Clear Lake High School and had lived in the area for quite awhile, if not his entire life. I didn't know the house was on Calder. From what I recall, the parents did subsequently relocate.

Regarding the woman taken to the trailer, I have to assume she was blindfolded or made to lie down in the seat. I don't think they'd let her drive. A lone perp, maybe. But with two of them it wasn't necessary. One could drive while the other controlled the victim. Do you know how the attack ended? I mean, did she escape? Or did they let her go? I haven't come across that detail.

The victim in the convenience store really bothers me. She handed the clerk a note she'd written on the sole of her shoe. She must've been frightened for her life to do that. I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem like much effort was made to find her even though one of the detectives was certain Drew was the perp in the surveillance video. I started searching missing persons and Jane Does that match the timeframe and location. I haven't come up with anything yet, but I'm going to keep looking.

We can't mention names of indivduals who have not been named as suspects or POI's. You can refer to them in general terms, for example, a neighbor who was always in trouble, a co-worker who was an ex-con. Details that don't uniquely identify the person are usually okay.

You know more about Drew than I, but I somewhat disagree about his criminal patterns. His earliest known victims were a neighbor, and classmates or friends. he started acting out his aggressions on girls he knew and who were accessible. That's pretty much the norm for these guys. Then they grow more daring, and the violence escalates. Drew followed that pattern when he started abducting and beating random victims. The description of Tina's injuries is horrific. I'm sure he would've left her dead somewhere if he hadn't been stopped. Then again, I wonder if the torture would've continued before he was satisfied. Yet, while I don't believe a mentor is a necessary element in Drew's criminal progression, I don't discount the possibility, either.

I am having to re-create much of my research because it was unfortunately lost due to damage from Hurricane Ike.

I know I have/had notes somewhere in more detail about the victim taken to the trailer, but I just cannot seem to find it.

Maybe she was blindfolded or something when she was abducted. I am just trying to consider how that would work. If she were stopped at a light, did one person push her out of the driver's seat? Did one person jump in, pull a weapon, and tell her to drive to another location where they then blindfolded her/knocked her unconscious/etc.? I just wonder how good of an investigation the police actually did and how much they just didn't release to the public? Surely the victim would be able to approximate how long it took to get to the trailer (assuming she was conscious), if they went over railroad tracks or a bumpy road, etc. I just think the police should be able to determine where the trailer was. Did they even really try?

His parents did relocate and either divorced or just maintain separate properties in their individual names. Another thing I thought peculiar about his parents is that they wrote a book about how kids could earn money called Fast Cash for Kids.

I don't think I can really discuss anyone I have in mind without giving away too much information. I certainly don't want to accuse someone of something so heinous and be wrong and I certainly don't have any concrete proof. I'll just say they are people fairly close to him and leave it at that.

I think Drew didn't start out typically in that he began with full-out sexual assaults of the girls he knew. He wasn't a peeper or anything. It doesn't seem like his crimes began as a curiosity. They were violent from the beginning. I think the idea of a mentor is logical because there are differences in his crimes. Some he just sexually assaulted. Some he beat. Some he just threatened. And then there were extremely sloppy attempted abductions. Because his behavior varies, it says to me there is an accomplice, someone he is trying to emulate, or it could show substance abuse.

I DO need to find the information about the girl taken to the trailer. I think that will help figure some points out.

I also wonder what ever came of the vial of human teeth found during the search? I guess unless there were roots, you probably couldn't get DNA from the teeth. But, could they be compared to dental records of potential victims?

That woman in the convenience store bothers me too. I wonder if she just wasn't from that area and that is why there is no missing person's report matching her description. The lack of a body does bother me, but I do believe he has more victims than Tina Flood, and that being the case, his victims don't often seem to be found.

I do believe he is responsible for Jessica Cain's disappearance.

What a shame that the hurricane took your notes. I live in NOLA, so I can relate.

I see your point about a mentor. Drew was very sloppy on his own. Still, I feel pretty certain he committed other crimes. Maybe he got away with those because he was working with someone who was smarter at concealing his crimes and didn't let the victims escape.

I found this article about the trailer victim's testimony at his trial. I was surprised to read that she was a nurse who treated TF in the hospital.

A strange coincidence led investigators to link the Flood case to the abduction and attack in 1997.
The victim in that case, a nurse on duty at the hospital where Flood was brought for treatment, was helping care for her and wondered if the same man who attacked Flood could have been one of the men who assaulted her. She contacted police.

This answers your question about who drove the car.

Marcum [Drew's attorney] said the interior of her car was relatively undisturbed and there was no obvious evidence that anyone had been in the back seat where the woman said she had been held on the floor by one of the suspects.

The article answers my question of how she got away. She begged them not to kill her, and they finally drove her to "someplace" and released her. Still no mention of the trailer's location, or where they left victim.

She said he told her, "If you tell anyone about this, I know where you and your children live and I will kill you."

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/a...testify-they-were-attacked-by-man-convic.html

I'm going to look around a little more.

I also wonder if maybe there was always a second attacker, but either the women didn't live to tell about it (Tina Flood) or they weren't actually abducted (the woman at the apartment complex).

There are so many suspects that have ties to Calder Rd. Drew (who lived there the majority of his life), Robert Abel (who owned the land encircling the "Killing Fields"), Mark Stallings (worked for Abel), and William Lewis Reece (also worked for Abel). All except for Abel are serving prison sentences for murder, aggravated assault, or aggravated kidnapping.

Another thing about Drew - he seems to only operate in the area surrounding his home. Of the crimes we can pretty much say with 100% surety that he committed were all in the same general area. Seabrook is the farthest it seems he went and that was for Tina Flood. Seabrook is about 10.8 miles from Calder Rd. in League City.

Where did he learn to "hunt" so close to his home? He had a vehicle, so it wasn't because he had to be within walking distance. He needed to be close to either where he was taking them or who he was taking them to. Jessica Cain went missing about 12.3 miles from Calder Rd. in La Marque.

And the victim that was assaulted and released. That just seems odd to me. Because she begged for her life, two psychopaths decided out of the goodness of their heart to just let her go? I wonder if maybe they knew her, even in a roundabout way, and were worried that she would be connected to them in some way. Or were they concerned they'd be interrupted for some reason? That whole case baffles me.

I understand they aren't going to give out too many details because the woman lived and she was a victim of sexual assault. The details that have been released just seem very opposite of what the other crimes have been like. Drew on his own seemed frantic and not afraid to cause severe injury to the victim to get whatever he wanted from them. This woman was allowed to live.

The pond behind Drew's parents' house that was drained and searched was 150 feet from where Janet Doe's remains were found. I cannot find a source that confirms this, but if this is true....

The pond behind Drew's parents' house that was drained and searched was 150 feet from where Janet Doe's remains were found. I cannot find a source that confirms this, but if this is true....

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/a...-drained-in-search-of-clues-to-4-women-s.html

The pond is about 150 feet west of where the skeletal remains of a woman dubbed Janet Doe were found on Sept. 8, 1991. Another unidentified woman, discovered in the same area on Feb. 3, 1986, is called Jane Doe.

Ratliff said officers searched the Drews' two-story home at 2615 Calder Road on Dec. 2, then obtained their consent to return with the specially-trained dogs.

On Friday, the dogs reacted to a smell in the northwest section of the pond, which is surrounded by tall grass.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/a...ained-excavated-after-dogs-pick-up-scent.html

I knew Jonathan Drew from Seabrook. He lived there in the late 80's with his parents. The neighbor he is accused of raping was from when he lived there. So in reality, his attack of Tina Flood was not that far from home as he was extremely familiar with that area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back