kayceebee

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3925294/detail.html
Police Suspect Teens Tried To Abort Fetus With Bat
Parents Accused Of Burying Remains

UPDATED: 11:53 AM EST November 18, 2004

Two Michigan teens may face charges after they allegedly used a baseball bat in an attempt to abort a fetus.

Police said a 16-year-old girl became pregnant and had a miscarriage in October at her home, outside of Detroit.

After an investigation, Michigan State Police determined that before the miscarriage, the girl and a 16-year-old boy -- the father of the unborn child -- may have attempted to abort the fetus.

"Without getting graphic, it involved a baseball bat and at some point the child was miscarried and that brings us to where we're at now," said Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith.

Smith said the male youth would hit the pregnant teen in the abdomen with a decorative-type wooden baseball bat every other day for three weeks.

"The length at which these two 16-year-olds went to abort this unborn child is just disturbing," said Smith.

Police were also investigating to determine if the parents of the two teens would face charges after they apparently decided to bury the fetus in the back yard of a home in Armada Township, Mich.

The parents apparently did not know of the pregnancy until the teen miscarried, police said.

Investigators with the Michigan State Police Post in Richmond exhumed the remains of the fetus from the back yard on Monday.

The remains were taken to the Macomb County Medical Examiner's office where an autopsy will be conducted to determine the cause of death and how long the mother had been pregnant.

No charges have been filed, but Smith said the two teens may face charges as serious as manslaughter.

How can they charge them? Abortion is legal isnt it?

Timex said:
How can they charge them? Abortion is legal isnt it?
I don't think this version of abortion is legal. And if the baby is late term - past the "legal date", that's also a factor. Then, dispersing human remains the way they did was illegal too.

I vote for manslaughter all the way. I cannot believe something like this can go on when they are able to get it done legally. :furious:

well, I see your point, but then..it is the womans right to choose. Isnt like the male made the decision to do this alone. She decided she didnt want this child. Im not sure I see any difference in how the killing is done. What if she had taken morning after pills etc to cause a miscarraige? Not much difference..baby dies either way.

See the below story about the abortion clinic shooting.........wtf is going on????

If you feel youre mature enough for sex be mature enough for birth control !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hand:

Abortion is a form of birth control. In the case below, the girl did not consent. In this case, the girl made the decision to allow the boy to help abort the child. Its an abortion, not murder or manslaughter. I think a good lawyer could easily argue this point.

Timex said:
Abortion is a form of birth control. In the case below, the girl did not consent. In this case, the girl made the decision to allow the boy to help abort the child. Its an abortion, not murder or manslaughter. I think a good lawyer could easily argue this point.
The girl is younger than 18, so the decision lies with the girl and one of the parents. Since the parents did not know until she miscarried, it was technically an illegal abortion; hence, manslaughter. Though I could be wrong...

Timex, I agree. Abortion is legal. So actually it would be the manner of abortion that is questioned in this case and I'm not sure that can be done. As for the age of the girl, many states do not requre parental consent or knowledge.

Sally said:
Timex, I agree. Abortion is legal. So actually it would be the manner of abortion that is questioned in this case and I'm not sure that can be done. As for the age of the girl, many states do not requre parental consent or knowledge.
Michigan does have a parental consent law.

Again, it comes down to the how's of it all. Can a teen in Michigan get the morning after pill without parental concent? Its a slipery slope here, and I still feel a good lawyer will be able to beat any charges brought forth. A womans right to decide is going to outweigh other issues here.

Timex said:
Again, it comes down to the how's of it all. Can a teen in Michigan get the morning after pill without parental concent? Its a slipery slope here, and I still feel a good lawyer will be able to beat any charges brought forth. A womans right to decide is going to outweigh other issues here.
As far as I know, the state may not prohibit or regulate any woman from making the ultimate decision to terminate her pregnancy before viability, i.e. no informed consent, no parental consent, no waiting period. It's completely at the discretion of the woman. The morning-after pill falls under this category.

Timex, is this your position or is it sarcasm. It's hard to tell. Please clarify. Thanks.
Timex said:

I am against abortion, however, the law says it is legal. We cant have a law that says it is a womans right to choose, then turn around and say when they choose, its against the law. My point was simply, be careful what we ask for, because we may not like what we get. I certainly dont feel this young couple should have aborted this child, but its the pro choice advocates that has helped get us to this point, and I truely do think a good lawyer could beat any manslaughter charge the DA brings against this couple, based on a womans right to choose.

Phewww! :wipes sweat from brow:

You are exactly correct! Bravo for your consistency!

Timex said:
I am against abortion, however, the law says it is legal. We cant have a law that says it is a womans right to choose, then turn around and say when they choose, its against the law. My point was simply, be careful what we ask for, because we may not like what we get. I certainly dont feel this young couple should have aborted this child, but its the pro choice advocates that has helped get us to this point, and I truely do think a good lawyer could beat any manslaughter charge the DA brings against this couple, based on a womans right to choose.

Timex said:

I am so relieved to hear that Timex. I really mistook some of your comments and I was really disgusted by them. But you are absolutely correct in saying be careful what you ask for.

That baby had to have felt pain if they were hitting it enough that it died. We would be outraged if a person did that to a dog or cat, or any animal for that matter. But it is OK to so many people to kill a baby like that.

I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. I hemmoraged and was rushed to the ER. My DR happened to be a dear family friend. In the mess of blood, the baby came out. The DR cleaned the baby up for me and let me hold him. He was so tiny, in fact only a couple inches long. But you know what? He had all of his human features already. He had his nose, mouth, finger, toes, ears, eyes, arms, legs, etc. He was so little and so beautiful. So when someone tells me a baby is not a baby this early and that they don't feel pain, I simply don't believe it. When a person gets to hold their precious infant at such an early age, I believe they would change their tune as well.

Okay, I checked the Michigan penal code and found this:

Act 328 of 1931 750.14
Administering drugs, etc., with intent to procure miscarriage—Any person who shall wilfully administer to any pregnant woman any medicine, drug, substance or thing whatever, or shall employ any instrument or other means whatever, with intent thereby to procure the miscarriage of any such woman, unless the same shall have been necessary to preserve the life of such woman, shall be guilty of a felony, and in case the death of such pregnant woman be thereby produced, the offense shall be deemed manslaughter.

At the very least, the male youth can be charged with the above. And, the girl, even though she has the right to an abortion, she can be fined for going against state abortion regulations.

So the morning after pill isnt legal in Michigan then. I thought once a drug was approved by the FDA, it could be prescribed in all states?

Timex said:
So the morning after pill isnt legal in Michigan then. I thought once a drug was approved by the FDA, it could be prescribed in all states?
I think the code refers to the actions of a 3rd party against a pregnant woman, not the woman herself. Also, the morning-after pill is not classified as an abortifacient, i.e. substance that induces miscarriage or abortion, so it would not apply to the code, regardless.

so what is it classified as? It has been all over the news lately as being offered to pregnant women who wish to terminate an unwanted pregnancy? There have been 3 deaths of women who have taken it while trying to abort.

God bless you for your witness Anngelique! My firstborn was 9 weeks early and a 4 lb baby that dropped to 3 lbs. I remember crying when I looked at him. He was crying tears, and made a raspy little noise when he was stuck with a needle; he calmed down when he heard my voice...I cried because I knew that women were daily aborting babies of his "gestational" age and older and calling them "tissue". How horrific!

For our society to defend a doctors premeditated murder of an infant and to turn around and jail a teen who has been taught this is okay for doing the same thing, this is a very twisted society we live in. God bless this girl, may HE give her wisdom, insight, and peace when it hits her what she's done. May society wake up and mourn the great loss to this country and be sorry for it.

Anngelique said:
I am so relieved to hear that Timex. I really mistook some of your comments and I was really disgusted by them. But you are absolutely correct in saying be careful what you ask for.

That baby had to have felt pain if they were hitting it enough that it died. We would be outraged if a person did that to a dog or cat, or any animal for that matter. But it is OK to so many people to kill a baby like that.

I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks. I hemmoraged and was rushed to the ER. My DR happened to be a dear family friend. In the mess of blood, the baby came out. The DR cleaned the baby up for me and let me hold him. He was so tiny, in fact only a couple inches long. But you know what? He had all of his human features already. He had his nose, mouth, finger, toes, ears, eyes, arms, legs, etc. He was so little and so beautiful. So when someone tells me a baby is not a baby this early and that they don't feel pain, I simply don't believe it. When a person gets to hold their precious infant at such an early age, I believe they would change their tune as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back